Spalted Maple Lidded Box with Walnut Knob (1st box ever)

Jolie0708

Reaction score
First name
Jolie
Hi yall, I hope I posted this in the correct section! This is my first box. The wood I used was pithy in several spots and I wasn't quite sure how to deal with it at certain times, especially during finishing. I just couldn't get those spots smooth. But I did what I could with what I had and over all for my first one I'm not terribly unhappy with it. It was definitely a learning experience for me for when I make some more. If anyone has any suggestions on how to deal with pithy wood on anything, any tips would be appreciated! Also any constructive criticism would be appreciated. Thank Ya'll for always being so supportive! I really do love this forum! It's wonderful being somewhere with like minded folks! IMG_20210404_095003_909.jpg

Gdurfey

Reaction score
First name
Garry
Incredible Jolie!! Just fantastic.

Lots of super glue has been used but it depends on the finish. Barb and others have recently been using a diluted epoxy mixture but will let them describe it better.

trc65

Reaction score
First name
Tim
Fantastic box! That spalting is wild!

If the punky area is small, I usually just use CA to saturate the area. The CA will darken the wood, but as long as I use an oil based finish, it blends right in on the woods I've turned.

For large areas, I ve used epoxy thinned with about 40 percent acetone. Mix epoxy well, then dilute with acetone. Just used foam brushes to paint it on and saturate the piece. This is the "recipe" that I first heard Barb mention. I used it on some very punky elm and it worked well for me.

Barb

Reaction score
First name
Barbara
Very cool box! What Tim said is what I do to combat punkiness if I decide not to stabilize.

Steve in VA

Reaction score
First name
Steve
Great job Jolie!

I've also used diluted lacquer (50% lacquer, 50% thinner) to stiffen the fibers. Seems to result in cleaner cuts in those punky areas.

Jolie0708

Reaction score
First name
Jolie
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter
Thank Ya'll so much for the info! I tried the CA but I was running low & needed to save some for a few other things to my order came in. But I did notice it did help somewhat. I'll play around with some of the things that were mentioned that I have and see what works for me best.

Nature Man

Reaction score
First name
Chuck
Valiant effort for your very first box! The wood is beautiful with that spalting! The lessons from others are very helpful! Chuck

Mike Hill

Board Whoarder
Reaction score
First name
Mike
Very nice job on your first box Jolie!
As far as punky wood, I have also gone to the big box stores and bought Minwax Wood Hardener and used with success. I think Varathane makes one also. Have also used a water based one, but it seems to take forever to dry. As soon as my current stash of wood hardener gets used up, and I get some epoxy, I am going to try it.

barry richardson

Staff member
Global Moderator
Reaction score
First name
Barry
Great looking first box!
1617631359478.png

I have been using this stuff lately, and it works great too, though I dont know if it is any better than thinned epoxy, more convenient though. Had a large project with lots of punk, used 2 cans of it! The only drawback so far is when sanding the treated area, it can gum up the paper, especially if you get it too hot from friction....

Jolie0708

Reaction score
First name
Jolie
Very nice job on your first box Jolie!
As far as punky wood, I have also gone to the big box stores and bought Minwax Wood Hardener and used with success. I think Varathane makes one also. Have also used a water based one, but it seems to take forever to dry. As soon as my current stash of wood hardener gets used up, and I get some epoxy, I am going to try it.
Thank you!

Jolie0708

Reaction score
First name
Jolie
Great looking first box!
View attachment 206712

I have been using this stuff lately, and it works great too, though I dont know if it is any better than thinned epoxy, more convenient though. Had a large project with lots of punk, used 2 cans of it! The only drawback so far is when sanding the treated area, it can gum up the paper, especially if you get it too hot from friction....
Cool thank you! I'll have to try it!

Jolie0708

Reaction score
First name
Jolie
Looks good Jolie. That soft maple can be a devil to work with but you did well. Jim
Thank you! I got some hardener today, will see if it helps on my current bowl in working on.