♫ εηdεd ♫ Spalted Oak for Sprung

rocky1

Creator of Shavings and Sawdust!
Reaction score
First name
Rocky
@Sprung - Matt sawing up the oak have a few preliminary pictures to toss up, and that's a pain in the ass in private conversation. Sent you a conversation anyhow with phone number, shoot me a text.

Thus far this is kinda what we're looking at...

1 5/8" full x 11 1/4" to just shy of 12" - May have to cut a few back to get them wrapped and in the box. Looking at large flat rate full easily, should give us 14 of the bigger ones, and I got no clue how many little ones yet, unless you want more bigger uns!

NCM_0022.JPG

NCM_0023.JPG

7/8" x 11 1/4" - 12" - Still working on these but had to come in the house for a minute so I figured I'd post them, so you can drool all over your keyboard.

NCM_0024.JPG

NCM_0027.JPG

Some of this stuff is wet. haven't checked it yet, but it's wet! Couldn't believe it was that wet as dry as it is here, but it is.

There is some checking on the ends of these, I've cut them back as far as I can and maintain length. If cast, they probably be OK, if not you'll probably lose an inch or two yet on the ends, unless checking continues to creep, which is possible with this stuff. I just honestly don't know what to tell you there.

Some of them are a little punky, stabilizing and/or casting I do feel they are all well doable. I'm gonna try the ones that got tossed in my box anyhow! The stuff that's a little punky, is of course the stuff with the most color in it.

Some bug holes as well, all appears OLD, haven't seen anything for bugs.

Didn't flip the 1 5/8" stuff for pictures yet, but several of those are still pretty good looking Red Oak on the back side. Spalting runs through about half the blank following radius on the growth rings from corner to corner. If turned, one side will yield pretty Red Oak, the other will yield moderate to pretty interesting spalting. Will get better pics of those. Several of them have dark streaks in them where pith ran out for branches and such, it is very attractive stuff, I think you'll be happy with it.

Will get you more pictures up when I get done sawing.

Have stretchy wrap to wrap them all up for shipping!

Shoot me a text or give me a shout when you get a chance.

Sprung

Amateur Sawdust Maker
Reaction score
First name
Matt
Rocky, looking good from what I can see - especially if that black line goes all the way through! I'm not set up to do any casting, but this will look great stabilized - some probably with some dye too.

I've got a styrofoam cooler that I usually stack wood in that needs to dry slowly. I put it in the cellar/pantry room in the basement, stack the wood inside, then place the lid on about 1/2 to 2/3 of the way - really slows down the drying on check prone woods. Eventually they'd get finished off in the lightbulb kiln, but probably not until they've lost most of the water.

rocky1

Reaction score
First name
Rocky
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter
Oh it kinda runs all da way through Ole!

Lot A 7/8" all 4 sides -

NCM_0031.jpg NCM_0032.jpg NCM_0033.jpg NCM_0034.jpg

Lot B 7/8" all but 1 of 4 sides - Not sure how I missed that one!! :sofa:

NCM_0035.jpg

NCM_0036.jpg

NCM_0037.jpg

Last edited:

rocky1

Reaction score
First name
Rocky
Lot A 1 5/8" - All but 1 of 4 sides on this group - However I missed that one I missed one here too! :lol2:

NCM_0039.jpg
NCM_0040.jpg
NCM_0041.jpg

Lot B 1 5/8" - All 4 sides! -

NCM_0042.jpg

NCM_0043.jpg

NCM_0044.jpg

NCM_0045.jpg

End shot....

NCM_0029.jpg

Got her stretched just a teeny bit!! Wrapped thoroughly with stretchy stuff inside. Got enough tape around it, that it might even make you cuss getting in it. Grab the box cutter goin in, it'll save you the trip walkin back after it!

NCM_0053.jpg
Worst case on punky... maybe 3 - 4 of the larger blanks a on the soft side, this was worst case scenario after beating framing, digging and blowing it out with air. I'd have tossed it in my box, but the right side of it that figure runs all the way through. Lot B, 2 on the far right were next in line in the way of ugly. Scroll back up and look at those you'll understand why.

Bottom 2, couple of the worst in the 7/8" lot. There are maybe half dozen of those that are kinda punky. I want to say they were in the middle of the top lot. But again, when you look at that, I had to say, "Hmmmmmmm! It'll stabilize!" :ok:

NCM_0050.jpg

All else fails, stabilize those, toss them on the shelf, and next time you drive over to see Lars on da other side da state, ya'll could cast them while you're lickin da lutefisk bowl clean at da local café! Eh!! :rofl:

Try and get her out this afternoon's mail Matt!!

Last edited:

rocky1

Reaction score
First name
Rocky
Oh yeah... Quit countin!

Wound up with 15 of the 1 5/8" blanks just shy of 12"long, worst case scenario 11 1/4".
Wound up with 35 of the 7/8" blanks, just shy of 12" long, likewise worst case 11 1/4".

Few of the latter are maybe a little close on the 7/8" but all are a good full 3/4" x 3/4" minimum.

Little bowing on 1 or 2, but for the most part, pretty straight when I put 'em in the box!

I think you'll find it all to your liking.

Sprung

Amateur Sawdust Maker
Reaction score
First name
Matt
Looks good, Rocky! Looking forward to getting them dried and put to use, especially with a little CJ in them!

rocky1

Reaction score
First name
Rocky
Alrighty!! Fixing to put a label on them and go drop them on top of the mailbox. I'll forward tracking number.

Sprung

Amateur Sawdust Maker
Reaction score
First name
Matt
Wow! I can only be jealous, Sprung!

He lives! Good to see you post something, Loris!

Loris, if you'd like a few pieces dried and stabilized for knife blocks, I'm sure we can see about getting a few your way somehow.

Strider

Reaction score
First name
Loris
I would say thank you, being polite, but the dirty, cheeky rascal within me says- you know my address :DD
Thanks a mil!