spots on finish

Graybeard

Reaction score
First name
David
I usually like to wet sand with tung oil but on this burl I didn't because I didn't want to fill the pores and other openings. Instead I just added tung oil like I always do. Try as I might obviously I didn't get the excess out of some of the openings leaving these shiny rings. I've sanded them back and applied more finishing thinking eventually it would even out but that doesn't seem to be the case. How do you fix something like this and what do you do to avoid this from happening with an oil finish? Thanks for your feedback.

cherry burl.jpg

Karl_TN

Reaction score
First name
Karl
Do you have any burl scraps to test on? If so then consider coating a scrap piece with tongue oil, letting the oil dry thoroughly to polymerize. Then lightly sand add some coats of wipe on poly to even things out.

Don't try this on the bowl at first because I haven't turned burls like this before. Just taking a stab at this while waiting to see if others reply.

Last edited:

DKMD

Sawbones
Staff member
Administrator
Global Moderator
Forum Moderator
Reaction score
First name
David
Sometimes I’ll blow the little inclusions out with the air hose after applying an oil finish.

I might try toning down the shiny areas with a scotchbrite pad.

Graybeard

Reaction score
First name
David
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter
Thanks for the reply's. I think I may have put this in the wrong place, mods if you want to move to sanding and finishing in the wood turning area that would be great. My bad, sorry.
I tried to blow it out but I think the oil just wicks back up and out of the fissures. Probably putting it on too thick. I'll try sanding it off again and just use a very thin coat. I'm sure the fissure can't hold anymore since it's coming out.

Steve Walker

Expert Lurker
Reaction score
First name
Steve
Do like Doc said and just rub it back with scotchbrite or steel wool, that way you loose the shiny but don't need to recoat. If you do sand, use the highest grit you have, and DON"T recoat with finish. The shiny spots have absorbed all of the oil the can possibly stand, and every subsequent coat will just make them shiny again. Only other option I can see is to make the whole bowl shiny.

Graybeard

Reaction score
First name
David
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter
Thanks everyone. I cut it back with sandpaper and after blowing out and using a tack cloth put a small amount of finish on a paper towel applied it to the piece. It's leveling out and no more spots. I'll post on the turning page when complete. Thanks for all your help.