Squash Blossom Basket Illusion

trc65

Reaction score
First name
Tim
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter
Tim, I noticed the radiation symbol in the center. Wonder if they are connected some how? Meaning the natives that used the pattern and the symbol chosen.
In a way the two are related.

Many native American designs use a center point with the design radiating out from it. These center of these designs represent various things, birth, seeds, mother earth, etc that all signify a starting point and growth from that point. Sometimes the symbolism represented the physical growth (squash blossom), or the personal and spiritual growth of a person on their journey through life. There are many other meanings, and I'm sure there are a few thesis that have been or could be written on the topic. Many native American designs also use an odd rather than even number of elements in the design. Three elements radiating from a central point is the "base level" so to speak.

The radiation symbol was developed (doodled) by a small group at UC-Berkley in 1946. They were looking for a symbol to represent radiation. They had several motifs, but picked the current one which symbolized "activity" radiating from an atom.

The similarity is obvious, but I don't know if that is coincidence, or if the first person to doodle the design may have been influenced by Native American designs they had seen sometime in the past.

Last edited:

Arn213

craM de la craM # RipJack City!
Reaction score
First name
Arn
Such exquisite, sublime and one of the most epic piece I have seen where someone put their heart into it wrestling with every detail, with patience, passion and feel! The sheen and off sheen detailing with aging is exquisite and it does remind me of a slight worn guitar neck that has aged beautifully with imprints of use, but not abused. When I lived in Charleston, SC, I collected grass basket with exquisite pattern- they were exhibited in the low country and you can see each person physically working on one whether it is on the street, store booth & even in the side of the road.

Having said that, I will pose a question to you on why the choice of leaving the bottom untouched? What I mean is that if this basket/bowl was all weaved, technically to fully give the illusion, the bottom should be also in order to replicate what is in the front and in the back (?). Not if you intentionally wanted it to leave a “trace” that this originated from a piece of wood…….

trc65

Reaction score
First name
Tim
Thank you Arn for your kind words.

As to the bottom, a couple of reasons I (and I believe others) leave them untouched. Any illusion that that these are woven bowls is broken immediately when they are handled. The weight and rigidity immediately reveal they are wood, so really no need to try and "complete" the illusion.

Your point of leaving a trace to show it is wood is spot on, and that couples with needing an area so that full attribution to the individual, Nation or region who originated the design can be made on the piece.

On this piece I will burn an inscription similar to: "Basket Illusion inspired by the " Double Squash Blossom Basket created by Marian Cruz of the Tohono O'odham Nation" along with the date and my initials. I think it is important to credit those who developed these designs.

This piece is not a direct copy of the original, but there are some who are creating near duplicates of original baskets. In all cases I've seen, care is always taken to acknowledge the original artist, Nation, etc.

Last edited:

Steve in VA

Reaction score
First name
Steve
Outstanding job Tim! There are so many aspects to this piece and the details that I absolutely love. And a huge thank you for taking the time to document the process along the way!

Last edited:

Gdurfey

Reaction score
First name
Garry
This is one bar that is way, way above my head for now. I just want to turn a bowl with that mice of shape!

trc65

Reaction score
First name
Tim
Done. 9" x 2.75" no finish. Black locust.

PXL_20230302_055943367.jpg

PXL_20230302_060157621.jpg

PXL_20230302_060139390.jpg

PXL_20230302_055804718.jpg

When I started this one, I had no intention of doing one this involved. My plan was just to see how black locust looked with burning and coloring. Very pleased with the overall look. I know others have used many different woods for basket illusions, but prior to this I've only used hard maple.

In the future I definitely won't be doing a bowl this size with tall steep sides. Burning and coloring the inside was a challenge. I'm thinking a platter with a much simpler design for the next one.

I want to thank everyone who came along for the ride and joined in with the discussion. The comradery here is the best!

Mr. Peet

Reaction score
First name
Mark
Done. 9" x 2.75" no finish. Black locust.

View attachment 238769

View attachment 238772

View attachment 238771

View attachment 238770

When I started this one, I had no intention of doing one this involved. My plan was just to see how black locust looked with burning and coloring. Very pleased with the overall look. I know others have used many different woods for basket illusions, but prior to this I've only used hard maple.

In the future I definitely won't be doing a bowl this size with tall steep sides. Burning and coloring the inside was a challenge. I'm thinking a platter with a much simpler design for the next one.

I want to thank everyone who came along for the ride and joined in with the discussion. The comradery here is the best!
You know Tim, based on that Hawaain wood show posted recently, you should get $1,000 for that bowl......at home if like here, sadly less than $100. That should stay with you a long while. For sure something to be proud of.

DWasson

Reaction score
First name
Dan
It has been fun to watch this project, thanks for sharing it with us. It is a spectacular piece.

Arn213

craM de la craM # RipJack City!
Reaction score
First name
Arn
This work is priceless in my book & this type of “exceptional & extraordinary” works of art should not just be seen here & should be exhibited elsewhere for many other people to see…………my gosh Tim, you should contact galleries and put this on loan to have it exhibited. Not just this particular piece, but you have other incredible pieces of work & enough of it that you can have your own exhibit section. You have enough work that you should gather a portfolio whether it is a hard copy or digitally available on line for yourself or for commercial purposes.

Last edited:

Nature Man

Reaction score
First name
Chuck
Inspirational! Unique world class, museum quality art. Great testimony to Black Locust, as well. I count it a privilege to have followed you on the journey. Chuck

2feathers Creative Making

Reaction score
First name
Frank
Thanks for the ride! Doubt I would have driven down that road on my own. Sweet little piece. My wife loves baskets but sadly has no room to display them. So I guess there is no need for me to make this right now. Maybe someday...

trc65

Reaction score
First name
Tim
You know Tim, based on that Hawaain wood show posted recently, you should get $1,000 for that bowl......at home if like here, sadly less than $100. That should stay with you a long while. For sure something to be proud of.

Thank you Mark. You assessment is correct. Around here, you can find figured walnut crotch, fruit/salad bowl sized that people have a hard time selling for $50. This one will stay with me. Actually, almost everything I've turned stays with me or is gifted to family and friends.

This work is priceless in my book & this type of “exceptional & extraordinary” works of art should not just be seen here & should be exhibited elsewhere for many other people to see…………my gosh Tim, you should contact galleries and put this on loan to have it exhibited. Not just this particular piece, but you have other incredible pieces of work & enough of it that you can have your own exhibit section. You have enough work that you should gather a portfolio whether it is a hard copy or digitally available on line for yourself or for commercial purposes.
Thank you Arn. I do photograph every piece I've made and will one day put it all together and start visiting galleries. I have little interest in doing so now, life is just too busy. The good thing is, most everything I've made is local, so could easily assemble for an exhibit should the opportunity arise.
Would probably make the AAW turning of the week if submitted.
Thanks Bill, I did post pictures in the AAW gallery.

Last edited:

Greenacres2

Reaction score
First name
Earl
Thank you Mark. You assessment is correct. Around here, you can find figured walnut crotch, fruit/salad bowl sized that people have a hard time selling for $50. This one will stay with me. Actually, almost everything I've turned stays with me or is gifted to family and friends.

Thank you Arn. I do photograph every piece I've made and will one day put it all together and start visiting galleries. I have little interest in doing so now, life is just too busy. The good thing is, most everything I've made is local, so could easily assemble for an exhibit should the opportunity arise.

Thanks Bill, I did post pictures in the AAW gallery.
And it is on the banner at the top of the home page!! Congratulations!!