Stabilized 12" x 1.5" (or a tad more width)

Joe Williams

Reaction score
First name
Joe
Hi,

I need a stabilized blank that is 12" long by 1.5 wide, a little wider is fine but at least that wide because I need 1 1/3rd finished.

If you are able to stabilize I could pay for that and provide a blank but I want something really nice and figured. A super figured maple or even a burl.

Let me know if you have the means or a blank :)

Thanks!

Sprung

Amateur Sawdust Maker
Reaction score
First name
Matt
Joe, I can certainly help you with this. I'm currently in the middle of doing a lot of stabilizing, and will be doing so for at least another month before I shut down and take a break from it for a few months. If you have something on hand that you want stabilized, I can do that, no problem.

Otherwise I can stabilize something that I have. I have to double check, but I should have some Curly Bigleaf Maple and Quilted Bigleaf Maple on hand that I could cut to size and stabilize for you. I think I also have some lightly flamed Boxelder. I don't have anything on hand in burl that length, save for the Amboyna Burl shown below.

If you have some room to work with on length, I can cut from this block of Stabilized Spalted Bigleaf Maple Burl. It is 10 3/4" long. Front and back pictured.

SMB2.jpg

If you've got a real hankering for something really top shelf, I have four sticks of Stabilized Amboyna Burl Two-Tone (Heartwood & Sapwood). These all are at, or greater than, the size you're looking for. I warn you, these won't be cheap. All four sides of each blank pictured.

AB1.jpg

AB2.jpg

AB3.jpg

AB4.jpg

Joe Williams

Reaction score
First name
Joe
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter
I don't have anything so something you have would be awesome, also how much for those blanks? They are gorgeous, what size are they? Thanks again!

Sprung

Amateur Sawdust Maker
Reaction score
First name
Matt
I don't have anything so something you have would be awesome, also how much for those blanks? They are gorgeous, what size are they? Thanks again!

The Spalted Bigleaf Maple Burl, as a whole, is 4 7/8" x 1 11/16" x 10 3/4".

The first two Amboyna Burl are 1 9/16" x 1 9/16" x 13 9/16". The other two are 1 1/2" x 1 1/2" x 12 9/16".

I'll send you a PM on pricing.

Sprung

Amateur Sawdust Maker
Reaction score
First name
Matt
@Joe Williams

Joe, I went through to see what I had that would yield a nicely figured piece in the size you are looking for. My quilted maple is a bust - the quilt isn't very strong and doesn't go through the piece. I have spalted oak in that dimension, but that just doesn't feel like it would be a nice/classy choice for a nice tool handle.

However, I do have this piece of Curly Bigleaf Maple that will easily yield what you're looking for. I sprayed it with a little DNA to show it off. The back side is hard to see, since my spray bottle ran out, but the curl does carry through the piece very nicely. I would cut the piece from whichever side of the board you preferred, but if you left it up to me, I'd probably cut from the side that would yield a mostly lighter colored sapwood blank as the curl is just a little stronger on that side. (Please note that this maple will darken a little once it's stabilized - not a ton - kinda like what an oil finish would do to it. I can get you a sample pic, if you'd like.)

CM3.jpg

CM4.jpg

DRW

Reaction score
First name
Dave
Super surprised you'd stabilize amboyna. All of the amboyna I've ever had was like concrete.

Sprung

Amateur Sawdust Maker
Reaction score
First name
Matt
Super surprised you'd stabilize amboyna. All of the amboyna I've ever had was like concrete.

The sapwood on these was fairly light - these pieces definitely gained considerable weight and benefited from it. They were also stabilized with the pool cue market in mind so the piece could be stable and of a consistent density throughout, so a balanced cue could be made.

chanser123

Reaction score
First name
Chanse
I hav worked with amboyna both ways and will never work with it not stabilized again. For game calls anyways, was a much better product stabilized.