Stabilized wood finish

Shane.M

Reaction score
First name
Shane
In need of some help. I have stabilized a large piece of maple. 9" by 3" i have turned it and still need to do alot of sanding but my question is what to finish it with for a super high gloss finish? Im using mercury ca for all my small turnings but this is way to big to use that. I have attached some pictures. Thank you in advance

20170701_214407.jpg

20170701_214323.jpg

20170701_164615.jpg

20170701_213625.jpg

20170701_200718.jpg

sleevecc

Wood Junkie
Reaction score
First name
Steve
Sand to as high a grit as you can,,, I use clear coat from NAPA. works great for me.

sleevecc

Wood Junkie
Reaction score
First name
Steve
No before
for the sake of saving resin that ends up as shavings ,, rough turn and fill the chamber and bowl with rocks or something to get the levels up,, it saves on resin , unless having a coring system where you can make more than one bowl from it,, thats some BEAUTIFUL WOOD!!!

Shane.M

Reaction score
First name
Shane
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter
Wasnt sure what the design was gonna be when i started. So i just stabilized the slab. And thank you. It has to be finished but came out great.

sleevecc

Wood Junkie
Reaction score
First name
Steve
very nice piece Im just thinking if the amount of resin at 100$ a gallon and how much ended up on the floor,, awesome either way.

DKMD

Sawbones
Staff member
Administrator
Global Moderator
Forum Moderator
Reaction score
First name
David
You can use CA for large turnings, but I wouldn't. Lacquer seems to be the most glossy finish.

Nice work on the burl!

rocky1

Creator of Shavings and Sawdust!
Reaction score
First name
Rocky
CA is a pain on something of that size, about impossible to get an even coat on it through standard methods of application. Posted this one awhile back, haven't tried it, don't know how well it works, but with air brush guns selling for $8 at Harbor Freight, it might be worth picking one up and giving it a whirl.