• A New Photo Gallery Has Been Added!!! Please share pictures of your finished projects in the New Photo Gallery for everyone to enjoy browsing. The New Photo Gallery is for FINISHED PROJECTS ONLY!! The New Photo Gallery section was created to give people a place to view photos without having to read through all the threads. Enjoy everyone and please contribute!

Stabilizing Oven

Barb

Reaction score
First name
Barbara
can a convection oven be used to heat the wood after it has been vacuumed sealed?
If you’re referring to cooking the wood after it’s been under vacuum in stabilizing liquid then yes. Curtis from Turntex actually recommends a convection oven.

eaglea1

Castaway
Reaction score
First name
Randy
I use a toaster oven, and 2 temp. gauges, as the temp adjustment is never accurate. Temp gauges are not either, thus the reason for two.

Dickr338

Reaction score
First name
Richard
Never done any stabilizing or related. Curious as to why you would heat the wood later.
There are two reasons to heat the wood. First is to ensure that the wood is dry. Depending what area of the country you are in, the wood needs to be about 5% or less. You can bake the wood prior to stabilizing it. Get the weight of the wood put it in an oven for a fairly long time checking the weight periodically until the weight doesn't change. Put the wood in a plastic bag to allow it to cool but not gain moisture. Then put the wood covered in Cactus Juice in a vacuum pot to remove the air from the wood cells, when the bubbles stop remove the vacuum and allow the Cactus Juice to soak into the wood. Then the wood is heated again to cure the resin.

JLTibbetts

Reaction score
First name
James
Lots of information in a short post.
I didn't mean to hijack the original thread. In the future I will start one requesting information on the process.
Thanks all.