• A New Photo Gallery Has Been Added!!! Please share pictures of your finished projects in the New Photo Gallery for everyone to enjoy browsing. The New Photo Gallery is for FINISHED PROJECTS ONLY!! The New Photo Gallery section was created to give people a place to view photos without having to read through all the threads. Enjoy everyone and please contribute!

Stacked Text Sign

Jason Goodrich

Reaction score
First name
Jason
I didn’t know how to do this until I looked it up. It is really a clever idea.
1st layer is the top text cut just to the depth of the top of the lower text.
2nd layer is both texts fused together so it cuts around both at the same time to the full depth.

There are several ways to color this. I used a torch to char it after cutting the first layer. Once I cut the full depth for layer 2 just the text is black. The unfortunate part was that the heat allowed the blue tape to come off and the board got a bit loose on the table while it finished cutting.

FF321D77-58BA-4A0A-9692-49DF5AF86401.jpeg

Nature Man

Reaction score
First name
Chuck
2nd layer is both texts fused together so it cuts around both at the same time to the full depth.

There are several ways to color this. I used a torch to char it after cutting the first layer. Once I cut the full depth for layer 2 just the text is black. The unfortunate part was that the heat allowed the blue tape to come off and the board got a bit loose on the table while it finished cutting.

View attachment 217201
Which layer is the top layer? Incredibly creative, with many potential applications! Chuck

Jason Goodrich

Reaction score
First name
Jason
The 1st layer is what I am calling the smaller text. So after it is carved, all there is the smaller text and a flat surface that will be level with the tops of the larger text.

CWS

Reaction score
First name
Curt

View attachment 217201
Nice work!

ripjack13

ɹǝʇɹɐqpooʍ
Staff member
Administrator
Global Moderator
Reaction score
First name
Marc
You could go one step further and pour in some colored epoxy around the words in the frame. That would hide the router marks on the bottom. Swirl it or something. That would be cool looking....

Last edited:

Jason Goodrich

Reaction score
First name
Jason
That would work. The router marks are because the blue tape let go because of the heat from the torch. They don’t usually stand out that much.