Stanley No. 8

Bigg081

Connoisseur of Man Glitter
Reaction score
First name
Shane
Looking for a Stanley No. 8. No particular type just old and in decent shape. Smooth bottom as well. I bought one a while back but the Lateral Adjustment Lever is broken. A new Frog would work but I’m not 100% on what type I have and Frogs are expensive for just being a part. I rather have a whole original and fully functional plane. I’d be happy to sell mine to someone that like to tinker once I have a replacement.
I keep an eye on eBay and such but nothing that seems to be proved well or not damaged.
Thanks for any tips or help.

woodtickgreg

scroll, flat, spin
Staff member
Administrator
Global Moderator
Founding Member
Forum Moderator
Reaction score
First name
Greg
If your going to use a number 8 you might want to consider a corrugated sole, they are a lot easier to push as they have less drag. They work just as good as a smooth sole for flattening large surfaces.

trc65

Reaction score
First name
Tim
Have you looked at jimbodetools.com? He has lots of stuff, premium prices, but you know exactly what you are getting if you can't find it elsewhere. To me, his prices seem more geared towards collector than user, but if he has it and no one else does......

Bigg081

Reaction score
First name
Shane
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter
If your going to use a number 8 you might want to consider a corrugated sole, they are a lot easier to push as they have less drag. They work just as good as a smooth sole for flattening large surfaces.
Use it.....not much at least. I respect and admire hand tool only work but its not for me. Well, not most of the time anyway. It may sound weird but they are like sculptures to me. I don’t really like them fully refurbished either. I do keep them all in user condition though. Nice and sharp and ready to go.
My wife just rolls her eyes at me. “You go crazy over them and then just look at them!” Not 100% accurate...I have used them all, at least once! LOL.
4 1/2 gets used the most and is my second favorite. Favorite is my Router Plane. From what I have researched, I am pretty sure it was made in the 1890 with a patent date of 1884. That’s back when making things like that WAS art!
Have you looked at jimbodetools.com? He has lots of stuff, premium prices, but you know exactly what you are getting if you can't find it elsewhere. To me, his prices seem more geared towards collector than user, but if he has it and no one else does......
I have not but I will! Thanks.

Bigg081

Reaction score
First name
Shane
@woodtickgreg You are correct, I am not that bad....yet! I have 3, 4, 4 1/2, 5, 6 7 8 all smooth. As well as a 40, and a couple block planes (10 I think) 52 Spoke shave and a Rabbet (not sure the number) Still need a 5 1/2 but not as worried about it. A 2 maybe....

ScoutDog

Reaction score
First name
JB
Hi Shane: @Bigg081
I admire your seeking older tools. I seek them myself. I long to restore them and use them. Now that we're moving, I need the space more than I need to move this beautiful, old iron to our new place.

In addition to a complete No. 8, here's a No. 5, No. 78 (I think; and maybe missing a part?), an adjustable _??_ plane, and an aluminum plane-like tool from Craftsman in the background. I'd happily re-home these pieces of history to an appreciative fellow WB member, although I'll need to research shipping costs. They're heavy!

I'd sell them for $150 plus shipping (no idea how much yet), or we could work out a trade for interesting smaller tools (carving tools, perhaps?), interesting live-edge wood, or ??? Wide open. Just want these to go to a good home.

Happy to know your thoughts. If Shane is not interested, I'd happily sell or trade with others.
Note: I'm leaving town over the weekend, so I couldn't box and ship until Tuesday or later.
Thank you,
--JB

20210312_153627_HDR.jpg

20210312_153635.jpg

20210312_153816.jpg

20210312_153736_HDR.jpg

20210312_153742.jpg

20210312_153645.jpg

20210312_153755.jpg

woodtickgreg

scroll, flat, spin
Staff member
Administrator
Global Moderator
Founding Member
Forum Moderator
Reaction score
First name
Greg
Hi Shane: @Bigg081
I admire your seeking older tools. I seek them myself. I long to restore them and use them. Now that we're moving, I need the space more than I need to move this beautiful, old iron to our new place.

In addition to a complete No. 8, here's a No. 5, No. 78 (I think; and maybe missing a part?), an adjustable _??_ plane, and an aluminum plane-like tool from Craftsman in the background. I'd happily re-home these pieces of history to an appreciative fellow WB member, although I'll need to research shipping costs. They're heavy!

I'd sell them for $150 plus shipping (no idea how much yet), or we could work out a trade for interesting smaller tools (carving tools, perhaps?), interesting live-edge wood, or ??? Wide open. Just want these to go to a good home.

Happy to know your thoughts. If Shane is not interested, I'd happily sell or trade with others.
Note: I'm leaving town over the weekend, so I couldn't box and ship until Tuesday or later.
Thank you,
--JB

View attachment 205045

View attachment 205042

View attachment 205048

View attachment 205043

View attachment 205046

View attachment 205047

View attachment 205044
That's a great deal on those for someone willing to do the restoration work.

trc65

Reaction score
First name
Tim
JB, your "adjustable" plane is a # 45 combination plane. You can see the number on the right hand side of the plane body.

Bigg081

Reaction score
First name
Shane
@ScoutDog that is a great price but I would only be interested in the No. 8 and it looks like the tote is broken. Mine is already broken and I’d prefer the plane fully intact. Other than that it looks in great shape and would only need very minor TLC to be a user. If the 78 was a Stanley I’d be very interested. You should sell them on here. They will get snagged quick.

@rob3232 is the 5 1/2 for sale? I can’t imagine the 2 is!!!

Mr. Peet

Reaction score
First name
Mark
@woodtickgreg You are correct, I am not that bad....yet! I have 3, 4, 4 1/2, 5, 6 7 8 all smooth. As well as a 40, and a couple block planes (10 I think) 52 Spoke shave and a Rabbet (not sure the number) Still need a 5 1/2 but not as worried about it. A 2 maybe....
An "associate" has a section of the shop for Stanley, a section for Bailey, and one for Miller Falls....and then an area for the no names.... I try to retain only those I will and do use.

Last edited:

ScoutDog

Reaction score
First name
JB
If the 78 was a Stanley I’d be very interested. You should sell them on here. They will get snagged quick.
@Bigg081 The 78 is actually a Sergent. It seems to be in great shape, though it's still not a Stanley.
Thank you for the tip. As soon as I can get the appropriate sized box(-es), I'll post them for sale.
With a move coming a up, a deal to buy them all would be appealing to me now.