Started a new project

T. Ben

Reaction score
First name
Troy
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter
Wow,that’s insane!! Glad I decided to get that one when I did.

T. Ben

Reaction score
First name
Troy
Started sanding the lamp today, can’t do to much at a time,it gums up the paper pretty quick. Put a couple coats of poly on the lamp shape. Forgot to take pics before I went in the house for the night.

trc65

Reaction score
First name
Tim
If your blanks were fully dry before turning, I wonder if setting the pitch (with heat) would have been an option with this wood? Don't know anything about potential problems, just a thought that popped into my head.

T. Ben

Reaction score
First name
Troy
If your blanks were fully dry before turning, I wonder if setting the pitch (with heat) would have been an option with this wood? Don't know anything about potential problems, just a thought that popped into my head.
I had to look that up, sounds like it probably wouldn’t be a bad idea if I had a way to do it.

T. Ben

Reaction score
First name
Troy
Made a little progress on the lamp,sanding is going slow,but getting there. Shade is almost done. It’s a bit different than a typical shade would be. The blank wasn’t bought with the intent of making a shade,it was going to be the base. Plan changed.

3ACF9BD1-AC4F-4C76-BE06-A9F0DD15A311.jpeg

8490312D-3E23-496C-A919-75AD8C6B039A.jpeg

trc65

Reaction score
First name
Tim
Wow! That's some spectacular wood. Had no idea the color would darken that much with some finish on it. Can't wait to see the whole thing completed and all lit up.

T. Ben

Reaction score
First name
Troy
Wow! That's some spectacular wood. Had no idea the color would darken that much with some finish on it. Can't wait to see the whole thing completed and all lit up.
The shade is Norfolk Island pine,soaked with blo and sprayed polycrylic that I wiped off. 3 coats. Need to sand it again and coat one or two more times. I need to play with the lights to see if I can reconnect with wire after I cut it,so it will go around layer out flat not stood on edge.

T. Ben

Reaction score
First name
Troy
Hey Troy, had time to make any more progress? Inquiring minds (or rather my mind) want to know.
It has been very slow,I’m in the process of drilling it out. I have to cut and solder some of the lights to get them to curve on the flat side. Now that the vase challenge is over I’ll go back after the lamp.

T. Ben

Reaction score
First name
Troy
I made some progress today. I will be getting another string of lights to put in the base. So not quite finished. But the wife is happy.

273304CF-0294-4E8A-8542-60DCC227A464.jpeg

T. Ben

Reaction score
First name
Troy
I’m not real happy with it,honestly I don’t really like it either,it didn’t turn out like I had it in my head. I’m still working on getting more lights in a couple places,but I don’t think that’s going to help it much.

T. Ben

Reaction score
First name
Troy
Keep working on it, you're on to something. That shade is outstanding!
I’m waiting for some more lights to show up,going to bring some lights to my dad to see if he can reconnect them as I haven’t been able to. I’m glad you like it,I’m not real happy with the whole thing. My old lady likes it so I guess that’s all that matters.

DLJeffs

Reaction score
First name
Doug
Wow, that's incredible. Love the way the light shines through the wood shade. Is there lights in the base too?