starting another jumbo hollow form

woodintyuuu

Reaction score
First name
cliff
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter
If you're expecting it to warp a little, does this mean it's not fully dry yet?

I remember an earlier piece, you splashed thinned lacquer on the top, around the entry hole, to keep it from drying out faster than the thicker walls. Is that not needed with this shape piece?
it will be a necessity to do that soon duncan we are now down 3/4 of the way hollow, and will soon be able to release the steady rest and turn the rim to true shape

woodintyuuu

Reaction score
First name
cliff
Back at work and almost through hollowing - the redwood was a bit punky in the middle areas and wanted to drag down the boring bar instead of cutting nicely. I had to use an old redneck trick and fashion a collar out of pipe to slip over it. It is held in place by set screws. This fix gave us a bit more rigidity out over the rest past 30 inches . It really saved some time;

IMG_7506.JPG

IMG_7505.JPG

this is a cool view

IMG_7507.JPG

Now you guys are gonna think this next pictures are a hoot - mabey? I could not see the laser dot around the apex of the bottom curve - so again a serious redneck fix - i clamped a mirror so i could see the dot on the backside downhill =that was fun for sure

IMG_7508.JPG

IMG_7509.JPG

IMG_7510.JPG

I have flooded the surfaces that are puncky with slow dry thin super glue a relatively new product i am testing out for the manufcturer , on the dark areas there is over 32 ozs of glue

the pc is now removed from spindle and faceplate removed - remember how thick the neck is -tommorow that will change and thus improve the whole form

IMG_7511.JPG

An because the mirror was in place i tried my hand at art photography - i know i suck

IMG_7512.JPG

IMG_7513.JPG

Last edited:

woodintyuuu

Reaction score
First name
cliff
here are the last pictures of this thread until i begin the final hollowing process:
the work is now remounted on the lathe between centers via a jam chuck-not just any jam chuck - this one is made from FBE

IMG_7514.JPG

i have removed the track for steady rest and started to fair the curve of the neck and shoulder - final thickness and shape will have to be done after pc is dry and done its warping thing

IMG_7515.JPG

recess made in bottom where the screws went to the faceplate, i did not want to waste that height so i backcut up from bottom . center is about 2 2/12 diameter and will line me up for final shape and sanding later

IMG_7516.JPG

Jam chuck: it is 12 inches long and goes from 8 diameter down to 6 inches and is made of low grade FBE. i might use it later if i get desperate, but it is probably gonna stay a jam chuck

this is the pc upside down with a bottle of super glue on it . that is a 1 lb bottle of glue and it is the third one used on this piece. it still has half left in this bottle

IMG_7517.JPG

a parting shot for a while, hope you enjoyed watching as much as i did doing it thanks yall!

IMG_7529.JPG

Last edited:

duncsuss

Trying to turn a little better each day
Reaction score
First name
Duncan
Does the jam chuck wedge in the neck of the piece, or does it go all the way down to the bottom of the hollow form?

I'd be worried if it wedges in the neck, too little pressure and it comes off the live center at the tailstock, too much pressure and the neck splits open ... of course, these things might behave different if you're not some amateur hack trying to make a hollowform for the first time :sarcastic:

woodintyuuu

Reaction score
First name
cliff
Does the jam chuck wedge in the neck of the piece, or does it go all the way down to the bottom of the hollow form?

I'd be worried if it wedges in the neck, too little pressure and it comes off the live center at the tailstock, too much pressure and the neck splits open ... of course, these things might behave different if you're not some amateur hack trying to make a hollowform for the first time :sarcastic:
No duncan it does not go all the way in just enough to hold the pc in place. as for to much pressure, it only wood man!!!

Tony

Hardwood Enthusiast
Staff member
Global Moderator
Reaction score
First name
Tony
Last night I blasted through this whole thread. While I don't understand 75% of what's being talked about, thoroughly enjoyed the hell out of it! That's going to be one incredible piece!!!!:popcorn: Tony

frankp

Founding Member
Founding Member
Reaction score
First name
Frank
That thing is going to be gorgeous! You sir, are a much braver man than I. Just thinking about that thing spinning makes me want to pee my pants.

GeorgeS

Reaction score
First name
George
That's gonna be gorgeous Cliff! Is this a commissioned piece or are you speculating with this one? If you have it with you in Baltimore I may or may not drool on it so I hope the finish is water proof!!

barry richardson

Staff member
Global Moderator
Reaction score
First name
Barry
Thanks again for posting this Cliff. In my experience, super glue ( used in cracks and patches) shows up during finishing if the wood is not sealed first, and you're using thin super glue which will soak into the wood a ways I imagine, is this a problem for you?

woodintyuuu

Reaction score
First name
cliff
That's gonna be gorgeous Cliff! Is this a commissioned piece or are you speculating with this one? If you have it with you in Baltimore I may or may not drool on it so I hope the finish is water proof!!
a little bit of both George

woodintyuuu

Reaction score
First name
cliff
Thanks again for posting this Cliff. In my experience, super glue ( used in cracks and patches) shows up during finishing if the wood is not sealed first, and you're using thin super glue which will soak into the wood a ways I imagine, is this a problem for you?
no barry the superglue soaking into the wood has never caused me a problem- its the excess super glue that changes the complexion of the finish . It will discolor the wood along a crack or patch for sure
but as you notice there is no consistent areas where the superglue delineates with no glue - But that said we will see and this may be the one that hoses me. when it is dry and sanded and finished we will see . That was a great question.

Graybeard

Reaction score
First name
David
This thread is full of really good information. Thanks for taking the time to post it.

justallan

Reaction score
First name
allan
WOW! That about says it for me. Thanks for an awesome post and tutorial Cliff.
It seems funny that a lot of folks want to vacation in Italy, Hawaii, and Australia. I just want to go play at Cliffs house.

ripjack13

ɹǝʇɹɐqpooʍ
Staff member
Administrator
Global Moderator
Reaction score
First name
Marc

no barry the superglue soaking into the wood has never caused me a problem- its the excess super glue that changes the complexion of the finish . It will discolor the wood along a crack or patch for sure
but as you notice there is no consistent areas where the superglue delineates with no glue - But that said we will see and this may be the one that hoses me. when it is dry and sanded and finished we will see . That was a great question.

Bary or Cliff, What shows up during finishing? I'm a lil lost on what you are referring to.

Also, Cliff, do you coat the entire surface with CA? I notice this one is not. I usually do it just so everything looks the same. I have not used sealer yet...but I'm still learning. You guys are great inspirations to watch...thanks to the both of you....

And this is a great read topic Cliff....awesome...I can't wait to see it finished.

barry richardson

Staff member
Global Moderator
Reaction score
First name
Barry
Bary or Cliff, What shows up during finishing? I'm a lil lost on what you are referring to.

Also, Cliff, do you coat the entire surface with CA? I notice this one is not. I usually do it just so everything looks the same. I have not used sealer yet...but I'm still learning. You guys are great inspirations to watch...thanks to the both of you....

And this is a great read topic Cliff....awesome...I can't wait to see it finished.
CA tends to show up if ,for example, you fix a crack, and some of the CA soaks into the surrounding wood, when you apply a finish (other than ca) over it, kinda like regular glue does if not fully removed..