Starting Conversation

tntgamecalls

Reaction score
First name
Trey
This may be a stupid question, but how do you start a conversation or private message with someone on here? People have sent them to me but I have no idea how to start one with someone else.
Thanks. Trey

Treecycle Hardwoods

Founding Member
Founding Member
Reaction score
First name
Greg
click on their name and there should be "start converstion in small print near the bottom of the box. or you can click on the envelope in the upper right and start one that way but you need to know their name (exact spelling)

kweinert

Reaction score
First name
Ken
Starting to type in their name does bring out a dropdown with the names that start with what you're typing. Or at least it does on a PC.

tntgamecalls

Reaction score
First name
Trey
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter
OK, I dont know what I'm doing wrong. When I click on the name, there is nothing that says start conversation.

kweinert

Reaction score
First name
Ken
Correction to my post: Like Greg said if you click on someone's name where it appears under their avatar in a posting a dialog box appears with some information about them. In a line of text about the middle of that box (in bold) there's a series of options, one of which says "Start a conversation".

What I was referring to is when you click on/hover over your name up in the upper right corner. One of the menu items in the right hand column is "Conversations". If you click on that it takes you to a page where you can see previous conversations and start a new one. If you start a new one, that's where starting to type in a name will open a drop down of names that match what you've started to type. In this case you most likely want to click on the correct one because Greg is correct - it has to be spelled exactly correct or the system can't deliver it.

Sorry if I caused any confusion.

tntgamecalls

Reaction score
First name
Trey
Thanks for the help, but when I click on a name the only thing that shows up in the green box is their picture. There isn't anything below it. Also, I can click on the conversations button and it does bring up past conversations, but there is not a place for me to start a new one.

kweinert

Reaction score
First name
Ken
OK, I just want to be sure we're talking about the same thing here. It's entirely possible that there's something different with your setup somehow. Since a picture is worth a thousand words, here are 3,000 words :)

NameClick.png

This is what I see when I click on your name in the post above this one. I'd be able to start a conversation with you by clicking on that option.

UserHover.png

This is what I see when I hover over my name up in the upper right corner. The second item down on the right column is where you can see your conversations and start a new one.

Conversations.png

And this, finally, is at the top of the page after I click on the Conversations menu item in the previous image. You can start a new conversation by clicking on the big green button on the right hand side.

Now you may not be seeing this, I just wanted us both to be on the same sheet of music while it's being discussed :)

Thanks for letting me be so wordy.

tntgamecalls

Reaction score
First name
Trey
Thanks for posting the pictures. I am not seeing either one of these options though. When I click on your name, it only has profile page, follow, and ignore. When I go to conversations, it does not have the "start a new conversation" option on the right side of the page.

kweinert

Reaction score
First name
Ken
General question:

Was there a change to the number of posts you need before you can start a conversation? I hadn't considered that as potentially being the problem because it looks like he has 19 messages and I thought the requirement was 5.

Kevin

Wood is good.
Reaction score
First name
Kevin
No, I believe anyone can start a conv even with no posts. Which will get changed eventually. Thanks for helping Ken and Greg.

Trey, I don't really know what I can add to what they've offered. Have you told us what device and browser you are using? If it's a phone is it android or iphone? PC? Mac? What's the browser? That might help us identify the problem. Sorry you're having problems we will figure it out - one of us will think of the solution if we keep taking a run at it.

tntgamecalls

Reaction score
First name
Trey
I have tried on my android phone, my PC at work, and two different PC's at home. All computers using explorer.

Kevin

Wood is good.
Reaction score
First name
Kevin
Can you put up a couple of screenshots?

Kevin

Wood is good.
Reaction score
First name
Kevin
AHA! Just found something in your account not ticked. Try it now . . . .

tntgamecalls

Reaction score
First name
Trey
I went to take a screenshot of the page and when I clicked on your name, the "start a conversation" option was there. I thought I was going crazy or something LOL

Kevin

Wood is good.
Reaction score
First name
Kevin
Sorry for the trouble Trey. Thanks for your patience!

Tclem

Can't buy love. Buy wood instead
Reaction score
First name
Tony
i have the same problem. all i get is ( profile page, follow, and ignore ) i do not have the "start a converstion" option either.