Dismiss Notice
Woodbarter has upgraded to HTTPS. Please see click here for all the details.

Starting on #2

Discussion in 'Instrument Makers' started by FLQuacker, Aug 22, 2018.

1. FLQuacker

FLQuacker Member Full Member Thread Starter

First name:
    Wayne
    This will be the same Tele design as the previous.

Won't be "fast tracked" like #1.

Here's the blank I've got to work with.

Monkey pod.

IMG_20180822_134820732~2-612x816.jpg

• EyeCandy! EyeCandy! x 2
    • Like Like x 1
  2. FLQuacker

First name:
    Wayne
    1st coat of tungoil.

Gonna spend a lot more time on the finish on this one.

IMG_20180823_084701430~2-612x816.jpg

IMG_20180823_085401018-612x816.jpg

IMG_20180823_085625761-816x612.jpg

• EyeCandy! EyeCandy! x 6
    • Like Like x 2
    • Way Cool Way Cool x 1
  3. Arn213

Arn213 craM de la craM # RipJack City! Full Member

First name:
    Arn
    You really went “against the grain” on this particular slab and it is quite interesting. Sonic envelope on this wood specie is all over the place- one company states, “similar to ash bodies due to it’s lightweight and resonance”. I also read that it is between walnut and mahogany- that it is “woody”. It does remind me a bit of koa in it’s appearance. My personal take is that you probably need to adjust your pickup choice on this wood If you want to capture that “woody” tone and might want to look into a “single coil sized humbuckers”. One brand example would be Seymour Duncan’s Little ‘59 tele set.

4. FLQuacker

First name:
    Wayne
    Yea...unfortunately or not, the drop piece of slab only allowed this orientation. But I did think about that.

Had to take what the wood gave me.

I'll look into the '59 set. Read about them before.

5. Arn213

First name:
    Arn
    It is thick enough that it should be ok. You just have to monitor the area of the neck pocket and how that might affect the guitar heel staying “true” and effect “direct function” of intonation. The string I have seen bodies orientated with the grain east to west as oppose to the traditional north to south. The neck pocket is the “flatter sawn” section and the side edge is probably linear (?). Going to be challenging task to see what grain orientation will best in “coupling” the neck and body. It would probably ideal with this situation to go with a “flat sawn with a 180 degree/flat line grain” for the neck shaft material. My 2 cents.

Would you be open to say going beyond the 3-way standard tele configuration? There is a 5-way “super switch” recipe. You get 5 usable tone selection:
    1). bridge pick-up
    2). neck & bridge series/out of phase
    3). neck and bridge parallel
    4). neck & bridge series
    5). neck pick up

There is also a different take on the version of the one above which is a “Bill Lawrence 5-way telecaster circuit”. There are all sorts of getting 5 usable tone selection (such as using a push/pull on the tone knob). It all depends what you are after.

6. Arn213

First name:
    Arn
    ^^^^^I am just throwing out ideas, so you think about your options as you get deep into this second build^^^^^. Will you be using this monkeypod as the neck shaft with a fretboard material (rosewood or...)?
    If you are planning to use maple instead with the “skunk stripe” (for one piece or 2 piece with the “skunk” as decorative)? You can use the monkeypod as a “skunk stripe” so you have a relationship with the body wood. Fender* earlier on actually used “koa” as the skunk stripe, then moved on to “walnut” as they share similar densities.

7. FLQuacker

First name:
    Wayne
    Neck will be roasted maple, same fretboard 1 piece. The color looks good against it.

Simple controls.

Probably SD 5-2 set PU's

Might try cutting my own wood pickguard on this one if I can find some thins of a comparable variety. This guitar won't leave the house unless it sounds better than the 1st one, which I doubt. I couldn't be lucky twice in a row!

I understand the reasoning on what you say about the neck/body grain joint, but I'm not gonna get into the chemistry of that. Just cinch it down and hope for the best :)

It'll be interesting to see how the grains line up visually with the neck running lengthwise, but most of the pronounced grain is in the other end of the body, so that may ease the transition.

Capture.JPG

Last edited: Aug 23, 2018
  8. FLQuacker

First name:
    Wayne
    Started with Tung oil yesterday...now I've switched to teak oil.

More to go.

Think I'll rub a gun stock filler/sealer over it before a final finish. Probably poly.

Natural Honeyburst.

IMG_20180823_165615303~3-552x683.jpg

9. Blueglass

Blueglass Member Full Member

First name:
    Les
    You're moving along faster than I am. I have 2 more started. 1 a solid Dalbergia sisso strat shape and another semi-hollow of my own shape that will be Cuban Mahogany back with Sissoo top and neck. I have some options for fingerboard wood. I like the Monkeypod, not sure how I feel about the orientation but it should be cool!

10. FLQuacker

First name:
    Wayne
    Your projects are a LOT more involved than mine are!

Vertical lines....should make me look taller and not as fat :)

• Funny Funny x 2
    • Like Like x 1
  11. Arn213

First name:
    Arn
    Claro walnut would be a complimentary color wise as pickguard material......Hawaiian mango would look good too as well pau ferro, macassar ebony.....

I love the color of roasted maple, especially the ambered colored ones. I have to tell you, that I have my own reservations about it. I am not going to get into it because it is a thread subject by itself. I can pm you if you like so I am not crowding your thread.

12. FLQuacker

First name:
    Wayne
    Sure pm me some tech data. I'll read.

I've read quite a bit and understand the longitudinal strength aspect, the sound vibration travel speed difference cross grain/thru grain, movement along both axis and a lot of other stuff. Not that I would disagree, because I won't.

The slab had a check that ran farther than I'd expected, which resulted in this orientation that didn't become obvious until I started sizing it.

If it don't work out and stay stable..I'll take off the appointments and put them on another body...and cut this one up and sell pen blanks and bottle stoppers here on WB :)

I mean it's not like Joe Bonamassa is going to be playing it and get booed off stage and ruin my guitar building career. LOL

• Like Like x 1
  13. rocky1

rocky1 Creator of Shavings and Sawdust! Full Member

First name:
    Rocky
    Sell it to some rock and roll bar for a wall ornament instead! It's too damn pretty to carve up!

• Like Like x 1
  14. DKMD

DKMD Sawbones Staff Member Administrator Global Moderator Full Member

First name:
    David
    It’s beautiful! Can’t wait to see it assembled!

15. FLQuacker

First name:
    Wayne
    Now we take a break.

Got a neck on the way, but haven't lined up anything else yet.

Get to go spend a week in the woods Tuesday, probably get stuff on the way so it's waiting on me, for a change.

IMG_20180824_185804559~3-612x816.jpg

IMG_20180824_185906573~2-612x816.jpg

• Way Cool Way Cool x 2
  16. rocky1

First name:
    Rocky
    I think you got the little brother interested now! Showed him pictures of this build, and Les' Keys guitar, and he's interested. May get him signed up here over the two, and get you another body or two to cut out. He plays base, has built one or two, interested in Burl veneers, which I told him he could find that here as well, but he'll be hooked when he goes through a few of these build threads.

• Like Like x 1
  17. FLQuacker

First name:
    Wayne
    Build coming along, but unfortunately it has taken a more somber direction.

Lost a great friend, and this guitar is being finished in his honor.

Born in American Somoa, relocated to the States in his early years. Often returned to visit family.

Had the most jovial, soulful personality of anyone I'd ever met.

Amazing on the guitar. One of those guys who could listen to a song, and nail it on the 2nd try. Self taught. Electric, acoustic and ukulele. Bass and keyboards, percussion too.

The water slide decal is of "Lono" a Polynesian God.

I'll also do some decal stuff on the headstock.

IMG_20180902_180550585~4-495x371.jpg

IMG_20180902_180550585~3-816x612.jpg

• +Karma +Karma x 1
    • Sincere Sincere x 1
  18. FLQuacker

First name:
    Wayne
    All finished mostly...sounds good. Happy with it.

Not sold on the pickguard color yet, it's mate and I thought I'd ordered gloss. Probably end up with something else. Not really sure gloss black would have been the right one either.

Need to raise the neck pup but that's a chore compared to my 1st one. This neck has a 22 fret overhang and restricts the pickguard from just lifting. Gotta pull the neck to get the pickguard off. Uhg! To get to the mounting screws of the pups.... pickguard mount would have been easier.

Ended up with a Warmoth roasted maple neck. Wolfgang profile and a 10-16 compound radius. I like it. Frets don't have a bad finish, but could use some end dressing.,.just a tad. Went with the 6105 wire.

I'll have the kid give it a run this weekend. He's by definition the Pro :) Then we'll decide a route for the Cherry guitar. That strat neck has a lonely body.

Comparatively, this guitar is brighter with more twang in the bridge but doesn't have the punch the cherry does. That difference could just be the Seymour Duncan's Broadcaster vs the Tonerider vintage plus I used in this one, and because this one is strung 9-42's. In the Duncans I've used before they all seemed darker...but not dark compared to what they've replaced. Love em but just wanted to try something different in this guitar.

IMG_20180905_155300281~4-401x754.jpg

• Way Cool Way Cool x 2
    • EyeCandy! EyeCandy! x 1
    Last edited: Sep 5, 2018
  19. FLQuacker

First name:
    Wayne
    Polished and ready to go!

Matte black pickguard is becoming a little more acceptable to me.

IMG_20180907_120858035~2-612x816.jpg

IMG_20180907_120826450~2-816x612.jpg

IMG_20180907_120733742~2-816x612.jpg

IMG_20180907_120549464~2-816x612.jpg

IMG_20180907_120446312~2-816x612.jpg

IMG_20180907_120538584~2-816x612.jpg

• Way Cool Way Cool x 1
  20. rocky1

First name:
    Rocky
    That thing is just too damned sexy!

Oh yes... Gotta agree, the matte black pickup works very nicely!

Last edited: Sep 7, 2018
Current Time: 12:20 AM