Stihl Trimmer

Graybeard

Reaction score
First name
David
Went in for a new air filter for my bigger trimmer and found out they're discontinued. I know I keep my equipment for a long time but I didn't think it was that long ago. Anyway I'm in the market for a large brush trimmer. It looks like the homeowner models are a little to flimsy. I was using one today and burned up the bushings on the mower head.

Anyone have any experience or recommendations. I'll stick with Stihl as they have a good service department and are close by. It helps too that my neighbor works there as a mechanic and if I get in a jam on the weekends he'll help me out.

Nature Man

Reaction score
First name
Chuck
The Stihl brand is sure hard to beat! I have 3 different Stihl pieces of equipment (although not a trimmer). Very reliable. Big benefit to be able to tap into your neighbor! Chuck

Mr. Peet

Reaction score
First name
Mark
Went in for a new air filter for my bigger trimmer and found out they're discontinued. I know I keep my equipment for a long time but I didn't think it was that long ago. Anyway I'm in the market for a large brush trimmer. It looks like the homeowner models are a little to flimsy. I was using one today and burned up the bushings on the mower head.

Anyone have any experience or recommendations. I'll stick with Stihl as they have a good service department and are close by. It helps too that my neighbor works there as a mechanic and if I get in a jam on the weekends he'll help me out.

What model trimmer was it? I have a few FS models and have been able to find replacements...

Graybeard

Reaction score
First name
David
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter
It's an FS74. The dealer said he thought they had one at their other location. I did clean the old one with kerosene and it's in pretty good shape.

Mr. Peet

Reaction score
First name
Mark
It's an FS74. The dealer said he thought they had one at their other location. I did clean the old one with kerosene and it's in pretty good shape.

Stopped in at our local Agway / Stihl dealer. They have 3 or 4 new air filters for your FS74 and a dozen of the pre-filters (the little black thin sponge).

Graybeard

Reaction score
First name
David
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter
I got a set from the dealer. Might have to think about getting some extras to have on hand.