Storm windows

trc65

Reaction score
First name
Tim
Sister and BIL have an older house and have a couple of smaller storm windows that have rotted beyond salvaging. I plan to make replacements for them, but he asked me the other day if we could make them from PVC. They are smaller windows approx. 20x30 and single pane. These would be for semi permanent installation as windows they cover are never opened.

What does everyone think?

Echoashtoreth

Reaction score
First name
Sarah
Might look online and find site for the OEM of the product.... they might have a chat line you could ask a quick question- like what glue to use etc

ripjack13

ɹǝʇɹɐqpooʍ
Staff member
Administrator
Global Moderator
Reaction score
First name
Marc
I'm not sure if it would hold up as a window. Especially as a storm window. Theres no strength to it. It's great as trim, but I would stick with wood for windows.

Mr. Peet

Reaction score
First name
Mark
I'd think it would be nearly a wash just ordering replacements, when comparing unknowns to knowns. Depending on sizes, but often can get a replacement for $75-$100, ready to install. Versus buying material, building the replacement and so on...

Mike Hill

Board Whoarder
Reaction score
First name
Mike
Also what happens is that water gets in the cuts, under the cladding and rots the wood - and you don't know it. Been a problem with residential windows for years.