String trimmer

William Tanner

Reaction score
First name
Bill
I've had a Stihl weed eater for years and now have a desire to transition to a battery powered unit. My current machine has been problematic for sometime and I want to get away from pull cord tools. Shoulder problems etc. This one piece of equipment is all I need now but want to be set so that the batteries can be used in other tools at a later date. I know there is a large selection to choose from but some are pretty expensive. My current machine has the head pictured below. I like it and would prefer to stay with this type but don't know if that is possible in a battery powered tool. I've not been success in finding that out. Does anyone have suggestions for a manufacturer/model?

String trimmer head.jpeg

woodtickgreg

scroll, flat, spin
Staff member
Administrator
Global Moderator
Founding Member
Forum Moderator
Reaction score
First name
Greg
That head can probably be transfered to any trimmer. You'll probably have to take it to a shop to have it done because the adapters may be different and they probably have a box of spares, I know the shop I worked at did, lol.
Now as far as battery powered tools go you get what you pay for. I have the ego brand of tools so when my current cordless trimmer dies I'll buy one of there's. But everyone seems to be making them now, dewalt, ryobi, etc. I would watch a few Youtube reviews on various trimmers to get some feedback on them.

trc65

Reaction score
First name
Tim
If you already have some battery drill/drivers/saws, I'd look at that brand first, assuming you have the batteries that fit the new tools. Can save a lot by purchasing bare tools only.

Alan R McDaniel Jr

Reaction score
First name
Alan
I have about 150 yards of edging (sidewalks and driveway), 300 yards of perimeter fence and over 60 trees that make up most of my weedeating experience every week or so. I use the Ryobi 2 cycle sting trimmer (curved shaft because it is more comfortable). I use them completely up (takes about 3 years) and I buy another one... I actually keep two. One with sting trimmer attached and the other with a blower. I have a number of other attachments as well. I have more invested in the attachments than a powerhead is worth... so, I just keep buying new powerheads every three years or so. They're light enough that they don't bother me.

I started looking at the cordless ones several years ago and seriously thought about getting one. For a small to medium sized yard I think they'd be great. For any prolonged use (over an hour of heavy work) I think it would be too much for them.

But, I have been wrong before...

Alan

Tom Smart

Reaction score
First name
Tom
Is that a Stihl head? My Stihl has the bump head you wind the string around. That’s a PITA. And the string is much thinner, breaking off if you touch anything other than grass or weeds, so it’s not very efficient around a fence line, rock wall or trees. Yours looks like it would last much longer and be very easy to replace the line.

woodtickgreg

scroll, flat, spin
Staff member
Administrator
Global Moderator
Founding Member
Forum Moderator
Reaction score
First name
Greg
The head that he has on his trimmer is actually a universal model, but most manufacturers offer it as a accessorie. You just carry a few sticks of line with you in your pocket and insert them as they wear out, they will run a heavy line. The head has jaws that only let the line push in and not pull out. Most of the kits have adapters that let you fit it to just about any trimmer out there. You might even be able to get one at the big box store.

2feathers Creative Making

Reaction score
First name
Frank
I have about 150 yards of edging (sidewalks and driveway), 300 yards of perimeter fence and over 60 trees that make up most of my weedeating experience every week or so. I use the Ryobi 2 cycle sting trimmer (curved shaft because it is more comfortable). I use them completely up (takes about 3 years) and I buy another one... I actually keep two. One with sting trimmer attached and the other with a blower. I have a number of other attachments as well. I have more invested in the attachments than a powerhead is worth... so, I just keep buying new powerheads every three years or so. They're light enough that they don't bother me.

I started looking at the cordless ones several years ago and seriously thought about getting one. For a small to medium sized yard I think they'd be great. For any prolonged use (over an hour of heavy work) I think it would be too much for them.

But, I have been wrong before...

Alan
I have a Kobalt battery weedeater 40v. 20 min run time per battery just running around the yard. Heavy weeds = a little less run time. I am running a heavy twist string in mine.
Heavy use, I would recommend 80v with the attachment option. A lot of those attachments can hop brands a little. Probably due to being made in the same china factory.

DLJeffs

Reaction score
First name
Doug
I second what Tim said. If I went battery operated stuff I'd try to buy a brand that batteries are interchangeable and always have a spare to keep one charged up. I still use gas powered Stihl but my neighbor uses Ego and loves it. I like it because it's way quieter than mine.

Mike1950

Founding Member
Founding Member
Reaction score
First name
Mike
Kathie bought a Stihl electric hedge trimmer. does a lot more than I expected. Next is either the extendible chainsaw trimmer. we have eliminated need for weed eater

William Tanner

Reaction score
First name
Bill
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter
Is that a Stihl head? My Stihl has the bump head you wind the string around. That’s a PITA. And the string is much thinner, breaking off if you touch anything other than grass or weeds, so it’s not very efficient around a fence line, rock wall or trees. Yours looks like it would last much longer and be very easy to replace the line.
Tom, not sure what the brand of the head is. I bought the head at a locally owned farm and equipment business. I'll have to pay them a visit. Those bump heads drive me nuts and that is why I want to stay with the type that I current use.

William Tanner

Reaction score
First name
Bill
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter
The head that he has on his trimmer is actually a universal model, but most manufacturers offer it as a accessorie. You just carry a few sticks of line with you in your pocket and insert them as they wear out, they will run a heavy line. The head has jaws that only let the line push in and not pull out. Most of the kits have adapters that let you fit it to just about any trimmer out there. You might even be able to get one at the big box store.
That is good news Greg. I really like this head. Easy to use. Thanks

barry richardson

Staff member
Global Moderator
Reaction score
First name
Barry
I have the Echo system, 56v. I have the weed eater, blower, hedge trimmer, and a chainsaw, all accumulated over a few years. Original battery is still going strong. I have no complaints, other than the bump head on the trimmer, a PITA as mentioned above... But they are heavier than the gas version cause of the battery....