Suggestions...not sympathy

Bigg081

Connoisseur of Man Glitter
Reaction score
First name
Shane
First, I am not asking for, nor do I want any sympathy. This is the hand I was dealt and I plan on winning no matter what. Thoughts and prayers are welcome but not requesting.

I recently found out that I will be having open-heart surgery on December 6th. Saving specifics, I will have a valve replacement and Aortic reconstruction. Obviously, this is a serious surgery and I am not exactly looking forward to it. Recovery is likely going to drive me insane! Relaxing for more than a day or two is torture to me. I want to move and be productive. I can't fathom 8 weeks of no driving or lifting anything over 10lbs.

Anyway....

I am looking for suggestions. Woodworking channels on YouTube are a great source of knowledge and entertainment for me and I can't get enough of them! There are plenty that are pure bullcrap too. Do y'all have any channels that you suggest? I currently follow:
  • Wood Whisperer
  • Jay Bates
  • Nick Zammeti (Entertainment and Ideas. Not so much knowledge. LOL)
  • Frank Howarth
  • Fisher's Shop
  • Crafted Workshop
  • John Malecki
  • Andy Rawls
  • Ashley Harwood
  • Carl Jacobson
  • Andy Phillip
  • Third Coast Craftsman
  • Stumpy Nubs
  • Jonathan Katz-Moses
  • Mike Waldt
WOW! Didn't realize I had that many! I may have a problem here....

Don't worry! I am still stockpiling wood for my return to the shop! Our move from FL to OH depleted my stash.

Thanks for any and all suggestions. If any of y'all old fellas have had the honor of earning a sweet 6-8" chest incision, please message me with some wisdom. Thanks!

Mike1950

Founding Member
Founding Member
Reaction score
First name
Mike
1983, mom was 53, got a single bypass. Amazing how fast she bounced back. Jury is still out on if it was a successful surgery, she turns 90 in June. Listen to the Docs, 2 months is not that long. Take care.

Sprung

Amateur Sawdust Maker
Reaction score
First name
Matt
Frank Howarth is one of my favorites, but you've already got him listed.

Paul Sellers is a great one. He's hand tool centered. He has a great approach, is great at teaching, and he's not going to try and convince you that you need to buy the most expensive tools out there. While I'm a mostly power tool centered shop, there are some things that are easier/faster/better/etc to do with hand tools.

DKMD

Sawbones
Staff member
Administrator
Global Moderator
Forum Moderator
Reaction score
First name
David
Best wishes on the upcoming plumbing work!

In addition to the YouTube channels listed, I like Jimmy Diresta and Marling baits.

I’d be tempted to try my hand at a little small-scale whittling/carving... shouldn’t be too much stress/exertion involved in that.

phinds

Staff member
Global Moderator
Founding Member
Forum Moderator
Reaction score
First name
Paul
If any of y'all old fellas have had the honor of earning a sweet 6-8" chest incision, please message me with some wisdom. Thanks!
Triple bypass. Much as you may hate it, you'll need to follow the "take it easy" instructions for a couple of months at least. PITA but as not as much of a PITA as bringing on serious complications (death comes to mind :smile: although that would be extreme). I got by OK on the no driving, but the not lifting anything heavy was REALLY annoying.

If you don't already have it, get Netflix for a couple of months. Best $9/mo you could spend. Just avoid the standup comics. Laughing hard it a no-no.

EDIT: and by the way, it's not actually the big deal that some folks make it out to be. It's VERY routine these days (still serious surgery of course but they know how to do it. Just make sure you have a doc who has done it a couple of hundred times.)

Last edited:

Bigg081

Reaction score
First name
Shane
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter
Triple bypass. Much as you may hate it, you'll need to follow the "take it easy" instructions for a couple of months at least. PITA but as not as much of a PITA as bringing on serious complications (death comes to mind :smile: although that would be extreme). I got by OK on the no driving, but the not lifting anything heavy was REALLY annoying.

If you don't already have it, get Netflix for a couple of months. Best $9/mo you could spend. Just avoid the standup comics. Laughing hard it a no-no.

EDIT: and by the way, it's not actually the big deal that some folks make it out to be. It's VERY routine these days (still serious surgery of course but they know how to do it. Just make sure you have a doc who has done it a couple of hundred times.)

Netflix and Hulu are a MUST!
My surgeon is a stud. I have all the faith in his abilities. My concern is that for my particular surgery he only performs 15-20 times a year. The whole bypass machine is a bit freaky too.

Wildthings

ASTROS '23 ALCS CHAMPIONS runnerup
Reaction score
First name
Barry
I don't see no problems!! I'm subscribed to most of those. I'll check out the ones I'm not.

I also like knife making and outdoors

Alec Steele - forging
Matthew Cremora - wood
April Wilkeson - wood
Simple Little Life = knife
DIYeasycrafts - knife
BlueGabe - outdoors
DeerMeatForDinner - outdoors
Finish Carpentry TV - wood
Jackman Works - wood
Johnny Builds - wood
Make Something 2 - wood
KyleRoyerKnives - Highend Knife making
Next Level Carpentry - wood
SmarterEveryday - everything - great channel
Walter Sorrells - knife
Wood You Make It - wood
Zac Higgins - pen turning
Grandpa Amu - Chinese wood

AS I SAID "YOU AINT GOT NO PROBLEMS" !!

Gdurfey

Reaction score
First name
Garry
well darn it Shane, saying a few prayers anyway.

Small anecdote: Dad had open heart surgery back in 2002; folks lived in a retirement community. Their friends were lined up on Monday and Tues morning for bypass surgeries and they were out Thursday and Friday. Our preacher was there wondering the halls and I couldn't believe the assembly line!! And think of the progress they have made sense then!!! remember, I said this was a retirement community; shoot, they were all old. His was a bit different surgery, but still, amazing.

yes, I deal with this stuff this way, hope i didn't offend. Truly, prayers for you, start a thread of "recovery videos" and post which ones you like!!! You have way too nice of a new shop to be away from it for long; maybe do laps around the equipment while recovering!!! Take your "light-weight" blanks and draw the details on them; which is bottom, which is top; layouts, plans, etc. Lots of prep work so projects start flowing.

Eric Rorabaugh

Staff member
Global Moderator
Reaction score
First name
Eric
Prayers will be there for you. Listen to the doc. Two months could turn into a lot longer if you don't. Agree with the carving/whittling

trc65

Reaction score
First name
Tim
I haven't had open chest/ heart surgery, but I was the primary caregiver for my mom when she did 10 years and 8 years ago. She was opened up for a valve repair and then repeat surgery two years later to replace the valve.

You won't be able to lift with arms / shoulders, but your legs will get you around just fine to work off a little nervous energy. Follow the instructions of the doctors and physical therapists in regard to your restrictions, tearing something while the chest is healing will set you back even further in recovery.

In addition to watching videos, I'd recommend having a supply of books, magazines, and music available to occupy your mind. Easy to get bored doing just one thing all day long, and you may not feel comfortable sitting at computer/tv or holding another device for long periods.

Mom was uncomfortable and very sore for the first few days at home, but after that, she recovered very quickly. I think she started physical therapy within a week of getting home.

BTW, she is now 83 and you can't stop her!

Last edited:

Bigg081

Reaction score
First name
Shane
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter
well darn it Shane, saying a few prayers anyway.

Small anecdote: Dad had open heart surgery back in 2002; folks lived in a retirement community. Their friends were lined up on Monday and Tues morning for bypass surgeries and they were out Thursday and Friday. Our preacher was there wondering the halls and I couldn't believe the assembly line!! And think of the progress they have made sense then!!! remember, I said this was a retirement community; shoot, they were all old. His was a bit different surgery, but still, amazing.

yes, I deal with this stuff this way, hope i didn't offend. Truly, prayers for you, start a thread of "recovery videos" and post which ones you like!!! You have way too nice of a new shop to be away from it for long; maybe do laps around the equipment while recovering!!! Take your "light-weight" blanks and draw the details on them; which is bottom, which is top; layouts, plans, etc. Lots of prep work so projects start flowing.
No offense at all. I love the idea of the layouts and plans! Didn’t think of that. :good2:

Tony

Hardwood Enthusiast
Staff member
Global Moderator
Reaction score
First name
Tony
Shane, my best wishes and prayers for you. Like everyone has said, follow doctors orders.

You should think about getting a Fine Woodworking Unlimited Access membership. It's $99 for a year, you can pull up every article, plan, video that they have ever made.

ripjack13

ɹǝʇɹɐqpooʍ
Staff member
Administrator
Global Moderator
Reaction score
First name
Marc
Well, now that you have your list of things to do, The debate's now between whether or not you're the scarecrow or the lion; we know that you can't be the tin man.
:pieface:
:sarcastic:
Good luck Shane....

Mr. Peet

Reaction score
First name
Mark
First, I am not asking for, nor do I want any sympathy. This is the hand I was dealt and I plan on winning no matter what. Thoughts and prayers are welcome but not requesting.

I recently found out that I will be having open-heart surgery on December 6th. Saving specifics, I will have a valve replacement and Aortic reconstruction. Obviously, this is a serious surgery and I am not exactly looking forward to it. Recovery is likely going to drive me insane! Relaxing for more than a day or two is torture to me. I want to move and be productive. I can't fathom 8 weeks of no driving or lifting anything over 10lbs.

Anyway....

I am looking for suggestions. Woodworking channels on YouTube are a great source of knowledge and entertainment for me and I can't get enough of them! There are plenty that are pure bullcrap too. Do y'all have any channels that you suggest? I currently follow:
  • Wood Whisperer
  • Jay Bates
  • Nick Zammeti (Entertainment and Ideas. Not so much knowledge. LOL)
  • Frank Howarth
  • Fisher's Shop
  • Crafted Workshop
  • John Malecki
  • Andy Rawls
  • Ashley Harwood
  • Carl Jacobson
  • Andy Phillip
  • Third Coast Craftsman
  • Stumpy Nubs
  • Jonathan Katz-Moses
  • Mike Waldt

Don't worry! I am still stockpiling wood for my return to the shop! Our move from FL to OH depleted my stash.

Thanks for any and all suggestions. If any of y'all old fellas have had the honor of earning a sweet 6-8" chest incision, please message me with some wisdom. Thanks!

I didn't realize there were other options other than Kenbo and Woodbarter....