Sweetgum

Nathan W

Reaction score
First name
Nathan
D51EC123-47C3-4A14-875C-BFF5FA3445D3.jpeg D51EC123-47C3-4A14-875C-BFF5FA3445D3.jpeg E58D80F2-96E8-4FCE-BF5A-9A0AE486B0B1.jpeg D51EC123-47C3-4A14-875C-BFF5FA3445D3.jpeg E58D80F2-96E8-4FCE-BF5A-9A0AE486B0B1.jpeg 31C5325E-E036-466F-9752-3A2DA699B2AB.jpeg 0BACDA00-B768-46F2-8970-2EF3FDE47AFD.jpeg D886B0A1-81AB-431A-AF85-6E59CAFA5D31.jpeg Chopped a Sweetgum down last week. I considered processing it into some flat stock but decided against it. I would like to process some of the larger logs into an assortment of blanks for personal and trade purposes.

If you were going to do this, what would you cut out of each log similar to this. Is any of the dark center worth holding onto with its small size?

Lastly, best methods of sealing and storing these blanks if I get that far. I have read through many posts on here but I think time is of the essence. I have candles, I have paint, glue. Not sure if I can get anchor seal locally.

Thanks for any advice

Nubsnstubs

Where is it???
Reaction score
First name
Jerry
If that was my piece of wood, I would cut it using the crack as my guide. Seal it, or put it in a bag with wood chips, wait a few months, then make the tenon on the cut side and turn the bowl from the bark side to maximize the color you have near the center. ............... Jerry (in Tucson)

Karl_TN

Reaction score
First name
Karl
SG turns great, but can start to rot if kept too moist or left outside. SG is a much underappreciated turning wood in my opinion. The dark center of a Sweetgum log is known as Red Gum (not to be confused with Australian Red Gum tree), and sometimes referred to as 'the poor man's walnut'. Nothing poor about the beautiful grain patterns found in SG. Also, the light colored areas should darken slightly to a nice tan color which makes a nice contrast against the darker brown area. SG is really fun to turn when it's green so try rough turning a few bowl blanks.

Btw, how's your lathe and turning skills coming along? Did you manage to find a chuck?

Nathan W

Reaction score
First name
Nathan
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter
Turning skills? The lathe made it to the sand blaster and back just fine. That’s as far as it went though. I have been too busy with work and life to do much hobby stuff.

We removed the tree because after 12 years of my collies bringing in a dozen of those balls every day.., you get the point. I thought stocking up on material with the trunk would be a motivator to get back into restoring the lathe.

Will latex paint suffice as a sealer?

Mike Mills

Reaction score
First name
Mike
First I would so as other suggested and cut out the pith(s), looks to run about 2:00 to 7:00 in most of your pics.
For bowls or platters I tend to leave 2" extra on each end for future cracking so your blanks would be about 18-19" long.
For platters I would slab off 2" on each side of the pith.
But you may not want bowls or platters. You did not state.
When I started everything was a bowl but mostly not now.
Most boxes are about 2" diameter so you could get some really nice grain with some (and still have bowl blanks left on the outside). Four boxes right around the pith after cutting.

These are two videos by Brian Havens which may give you some more ideas on cutting up your find.

Yours in not "short" but it is still good ideas even if you make part of the log "short".

Karl_TN

Reaction score
First name
Karl
Turning skills? The lathe made it to the sand blaster and back just fine. That’s as far as it went though. I have been too busy with work and life to do much hobby stuff.

We removed the tree because after 12 years of my collies bringing in a dozen of those balls every day.., you get the point. I thought stocking up on material with the trunk would be a motivator to get back into restoring the lathe.

Will latex paint suffice as a sealer?

Some use latex paint, but I prefer using wax based sealers myself. If Anchor seal is hard to find or too expensive then try using some watered down white school glue as a substitute.

Patrude

Reaction score
First name
Rich
I would avoid the pith. I would also use the crack as a guide as already noted. And I never pass on the chance to include color changes in the wood. However you cut it up be sure to lather it up with Anchor Seal. Good luck with it

dennisp42

Reaction score
First name
Dennis
Nathan, I'm sorry for the loss of your fur baby. I have a Sheltie that is probably not going to make it another year. I'm going to start on her urn soon

Depending on the length of your log it would make a beautiful urn. You can turn it side ways with the center pith sideways. Rough hollow, put it in a paper bag with shavings and let it dry for several months. Then finish turning.