Sycamore salad bowl

Barb

Reaction score
First name
Barbara
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter
That's nice the way the grain just sort of fades in and out.
It was nice to turn also. I had some problems with the end grain portion but that's due to inexperience and not sharpening my tools more often. :)

barry richardson

Staff member
Global Moderator
Reaction score
First name
Barry
Very nice! I like how you captured some.of that sycamore ray flecks on the rim...

trc65

Reaction score
First name
Tim
Beautiful bowl! Worthy project for your new lathe. Ditto all the previous comments, but what I really like is the side of the bowl. Leaving that little flat on the side was a great idea.

Steve in VA

Reaction score
First name
Steve
Great job Barb!

How do you like your Grizzly so far? Any pros or cons that stand out? Congrats on the new purchase and I wish you years of great turning with it!

Barb

Reaction score
First name
Barbara
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter
Great job Barb!

How do you like your Grizzly so far? Any pros or cons that stand out? Congrats on the new purchase and I wish you years of great turning with it!
Thank you! So far there are no cons at all. It's extremely stable, even with an out of balance piece. My other lathe would try to hop up and down like a jumping bean. It can spin as slow as 60 rpm which is helpful when I'm trying to get sanding sealer to dry quickly. And it's so long that I don't have to keep taking the tailstock off whenever I need to hollow out a piece. I just shove it to the end. I'm loving it! :)