Staff member
Administrator
Global Moderator
Founding Member
Forum Moderator
Reaction score
First name
Greg
This will be my version of table saw outfeed tables. The back one will be pretty big for two reasons, extra support when ripping long boards and for cutting sheet goods. And because I also use the table as a workbench for glue ups and finishing etc. The tables will also have formica tops. I just got a new Laguna F3 table saw with 52" rails, they did give me an outfeed table but it's way to small and not adequate imo. So I'm building new ones. I picked up a sheet of maple plywood and that will make the tops for both tables.
First thing to do was pick up a new 60 tooth blade for the circular saw to break down the plywood cleanly.
20210531_153142.jpg
I flipped the plywood over so the good side faced down and the saw teeth would cut up into the good side. This way if there was any tearout it would be on the backside and it wouldn't be seen.
I set the saw so the blade extended one tooth height past the plywood, and I set it on some boards to support it so I wouldn't have to catch the boards after they where cut.
20210531_163559.jpg
One 4'x5" sheet for the back outfeed table, and one 27" piece for the right side table.
20210531_163747.jpg

woodtickgreg

scroll, flat, spin
Staff member
Administrator
Global Moderator
Founding Member
Forum Moderator
Reaction score
First name
Greg
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter
Today I got the formica for the table tops. I had a hard time finding anyone that sells it locally for a fair price so I just ordered it through home depot. Got it the next day. 4x8 sheet of bright white.
20210604_200337.jpg 20210604_200442.jpg
It was packed well, nice honeycomb cardboard on the ends to protect it in shipping.
20210604_200500.jpg
So why formica for the top? Several reasons, it's slick and stuff slides on it nice, especially after you wax it. The white reflects light well. And when you use it as an auxiliary work bench for finishing and glue ups the clean up is easy. I have even sanded my last table down after many years of abuse with a random orbit sander and some 320 grit, cleaned it right up and actually made it slicker. So I'm doing these tables the same way, it works and works well.

sprucegum

Reaction score
First name
Dave
Today I got the formica for the table tops. I had a hard time finding anyone that sells it locally for a fair price so I just ordered it through home depot. Got it the next day. 4x8 sheet of bright white.
View attachment 210358View attachment 210359
It was packed well, nice honeycomb cardboard on the ends to protect it in shipping.
View attachment 210360
So why formica for the top? Several reasons, it's slick and stuff slides on it nice, especially after you wax it. The white reflects light well. And when you use it as an auxiliary work bench for finishing and glue ups the clean up is easy. I have even sanded my last table down after many years of abuse with a random orbit sander and some 320 grit, cleaned it right up and actually made it slicker. So I'm doing these tables the same way, it works and works well.
I used to use sheet goods laminate all the time for countertops and other projects but as you say no one seems to have it in stock. I used to get it from a countertop shop for projects like yours they always had discontinued colors and odds and ends cheap, the place burned to the ground a few years ago. They rebuilt but now only deal with lumber yards and have no direct sales to the public or contractors.

woodtickgreg

scroll, flat, spin
Staff member
Administrator
Global Moderator
Founding Member
Forum Moderator
Reaction score
First name
Greg
I used to use sheet goods laminate all the time for countertops and other projects but as you say no one seems to have it in stock. I used to get it from a countertop shop for projects like yours they always had discontinued colors and odds and ends cheap, the place burned to the ground a few years ago. They rebuilt but now only deal with lumber yards and have no direct sales to the public or contractors.
I used to get it from home depot in store and I could get deals on damaged sheets. Maybe just a corner broken off and it would be discounted and still have lots of usable material in it for shop projects. But they dont carry it in the store anymore, you can order it through home depot on line though which is what I did. I got it next day and it looks like it shipped right from the formica company.

woodtickgreg

scroll, flat, spin
Staff member
Administrator
Global Moderator
Founding Member
Forum Moderator
Reaction score
First name
Greg
I had to skip working on the Table today to go buy a tool.

woodtickgreg

scroll, flat, spin
Staff member
Administrator
Global Moderator
Founding Member
Forum Moderator
Reaction score
First name
Greg
I picked up some spray contact adhesive for the laminate. 20210616_185737.jpg
I hope this is enough but I might have to purchase one more, I'll see after the big table is done. I'll be getting back on this project soon as the mortiser cart I'm working on is done. Almost there.

Last edited:

Wildthings

ASTROS '23 ALCS CHAMPIONS runnerup
Reaction score
First name
Barry
Hmmmm I would never have entertain the thought of aerosol. I figured roll on out of a can! Interesting

woodtickgreg

scroll, flat, spin
Staff member
Administrator
Global Moderator
Founding Member
Forum Moderator
Reaction score
First name
Greg
Hmmmm I would never have entertain the thought of aerosol. I figured roll on out of a can! Interesting
I did my last table with aerosol as well, it worked very good. It lays down a uniform coating and dries quickly.

woodtickgreg

scroll, flat, spin
Staff member
Administrator
Global Moderator
Founding Member
Forum Moderator
Reaction score
First name
Greg
Ok, back to work on this now that my other project is done, lol.
I set up a roller stand so I could trim the large table top up a little.
20210618_200856.jpg
I ripped a little off of both sides to clean up the edges and reduce the width so the laminate will hang over the edge when I get to that point.
20210618_201022.jpg
Finished width is a hair over 47 3/4" That will allow me some laminate material to flush trim with a router.
20210618_201503.jpg

woodtickgreg

scroll, flat, spin
Staff member
Administrator
Global Moderator
Founding Member
Forum Moderator
Reaction score
First name
Greg
Next up was to prep stock for the grid that will be built on the bottom of the table to stiffen it and give so.ething to attach the legs too.

I started by taking a moisture reading on the maple pallet wood I found to see if I could use it.
13% isn't bad for pallet wood. I've seen it in the 20's before. About 12% is what I shoot for on air dried wood so this will be fine.
20210619_165452.jpg
I selected some rough sawn maple boards to use.
20210619_165558.jpg
And jointed 2 sides.
20210619_170053.jpg
After running them through the jointer I have a nice pile of boards to use.
20210619_172839.jpg
Then I ran them through the planer to clean the last surface up and dimension them. I'm shooting for 1" thick from these 5/4 boards.
20210619_174507.jpg
Ended up about a 16th of an inch shy of the 1" I was hoping for, close enough.
20210619_181320.jpg
I put a new ripping blade on the saw to rip them to width.
20210619_182111.jpg
A nice stack of true 1x2's. I can work around the defects on these.
20210619_183623.jpg
Next up will be cutting and gluing. I'm going to build this with no metal fastners because at a later date I plan to instal 2 router lifts in the table and when I cut into it I don't want to hit any nails or screws.

woodtickgreg

scroll, flat, spin
Staff member
Administrator
Global Moderator
Founding Member
Forum Moderator
Reaction score
First name
Greg
So today the cut and glue up of the bottom grid has started.
This first end piece I held back from the edge a little as I cut it freehand with a circular saw and it's a little rough in a couple of spots. The laminate trimmer will clean this edge up.
20210620_105503.jpg
I marked some lines to keep me square during the glue up and clamping.
20210620_105510.jpg
Some clamps ready.......
20210620_105518.jpg
TB II and a silicone spreader.
20210620_105650.jpg
Just using a putty knife to scrape off the squeeze out. Since no finish is going on this I can get away with it.
20210620_110650.jpg
First piece on.
20210620_110933.jpg
Sometimes you have to get creative with your clamping, lol. Some cut off strips and a couple blocks as calls gave me the needed down pressure to get squeeze out.
20210620_140441.jpg 20210620_140455.jpg

woodtickgreg

scroll, flat, spin
Staff member
Administrator
Global Moderator
Founding Member
Forum Moderator
Reaction score
First name
Greg