Dismiss Notice
Woodbarter has upgraded to HTTPS. Please see click here for all the details.

Tandem axle short bed trailer

Discussion in 'Kenbo's Chat Room' started by woodtickgreg, Mar 11, 2018.

1. woodtickgreg

woodtickgreg scroll, flat, spin Staff Member Global Moderator Forum Moderator Founding Member Full Member Thread Starter

First name:
    Greg
    I had a great deal on a tailer fall into my lap. I had to buy it, i couldnt pass it up because i have a need for it, i have a lot of work to do around my house and I would rather beat up a utility trailer than my new truck, lol. It's a 6 x 10 tandem axle, has new wheels and tires, the tires still had the stickers on them, the seller said it has new wheel bearings that I will still remove and inspect just to make sure everything is ok. I have plans for this trailer that include a new wood deck, side walls, and mounts for a magnetic trailer light assembly. A friend of mine did that and it is really cool, no lying in the ground to repair your trailer lights or wiring. I'll add tie down loops and a system for using my receiver hitch mounted winch, I'll be able to pull logs up onto the trailer when I need to. Hears a pic I took when I picked it up.

I need to get a drop ball mount for the receiver to level out the trailer.
    20180310_094821.jpg
    The trailer towed well, tandem ride very smooth and don't bounce all over the place. A good solid chassis with a lot of potential to make it the way I want it.
    20180310_094806.jpg
    I can use the mig welders at work, and my boss will order me the tubing I need for the side walls with the company discount. I have a stack of elm that will make nice side boards. Elm is very flexy and not brittle.

• Like Like x 5
    • Way Cool Way Cool x 4
    • Funny Funny x 1
    Last edited: Mar 11, 2018
  2. Tony

Tony Hardwood Enthusiast Staff Member Global Moderator Full Member

First name:
    Tony
    Great find Greg! Tony

• Thank You! Thank You! x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  3. rocky1

rocky1 Creator of Shavings and Sawdust! Full Member

First name:
    Rocky
    Dependent upon intended loads I don't think I'd drop it much Greg, tongue weight on the trailer will set the back of the pickup down too. You don't have a lot of trailer behind the wheels to balance load and level it, so it's probably going to pull a little heavy on the tongue. If you level it empty, you'll be low loaded.

• Like Like x 1
  4. woodtickgreg

woodtickgreg scroll, flat, spin Staff Member Global Moderator Forum Moderator Founding Member Full Member Thread Starter

First name:
    Greg
    It's only gotta come down an inch or 2, and I know about keeping the tongue heavy. but the way it sits right now because it is such a short bed the front wheels aren't even on the ground, lol.

• Like Like x 1
    • Sincere Sincere x 1
  5. Nature Man

Nature Man Member Full Member

First name:
    Chuck
    Congrats! Great snag! Chuck

6. rocky1

First name:
    Rocky
    Yeah... our forklift trailer is the same way on the Duramax. Sits a little high on the tongue with a 1" drop, almost right with a 2" drop, but when you load the truck, it runs down hill 2 - 3 inches.

• Informative Informative x 1
  7. Bigdrowdy1

Bigdrowdy1 Member Full Member

First name:
    Rodney
    Looks like a road trip setup to me!:wink:
    Congrats Bud
    :cowboy:

Rodney

• Agree Agree x 2
  8. woodtickgreg

First name:
    Greg
    Well it's been a little over a year since I got this trailer, it has served me well. But now it's time for some upgrades. Most of the pine decking wood is completely rotted, I could literally poke my finger through it in places. So off the deck goes. I still have to grind some off the old screws off. The trailer will also get some 2' sides welded up out of 2" square tubing. The deck will be 1 1/2" red oak, have not decided what the side wall wood will be yet, maybe elm if I have enough. I plan to weld tie down loops inside and outside of the trailer. A mount for my winch will also be done so I can drag logs up on it if need be. Some kind of removable gate or maybe 2 swing out gates that are removable. Here is what I started with today.
    20190527_115217.jpg 20190527_121438.jpg And it's off. Wood was very waterlogged and rotten.
    20190527_134242.jpg Its got one bent crossmember right between the axles that will be replaced.
    20190527_134309.jpg The debris is all cleaned up.
    20190527_155018.jpg
    Ripping the deck off allows me to give a good inspection to the main structure and springs etc. The fenders are pretty neat up but I dont think I'm going to change them, everytime you blow a tire it just beats the hell out of em anyway. So I'll just straighten them a little and call it good. Once all the excess brackets are cut off and the new sides welded on the whole thing will get painted with black rustoleum.

• Like Like x 2
    • Way Cool Way Cool x 2
  9. woodman6415

woodman6415 Member Full Member

First name:
    wendell
    Great buy .. nice trailer

10. woodtickgreg

First name:
    Greg
    You saw it, was the same trailer I brought down to @Bigdrowdy1 Rodney's

• Like Like x 1
  11. woodman6415

woodman6415 Member Full Member

First name:
    wendell
    Slept since then

• Funny Funny x 4
  12. Tony

Tony Hardwood Enthusiast Staff Member Global Moderator Full Member

First name:
    Tony
    Plus, he's VERY old:sarcastic:

• Agree Agree x 1
    • Funny Funny x 1
  13. rocky1

First name:
    Rocky
    Doesn't appear to tilt, think I'd go with a fold down gate, make it easier to slide logs in than swing out gates, even if you had to back down in the ditch, or dig the tires down. Fabricate your hinges out of pipe and cold rolled steel, you could pin each side and make it easily removable.

Now would be a GOOD time to rewire it all too.

Last edited: May 27, 2019
  14. woodtickgreg

First name:
    Greg
    @rocky1 Nope, it's not a tilter. I kinda like the idea of 2 swing out removable gates. For loading logs I'll just use a channel to guide the log up. And I plan to make my own hinges out of pipe and solid bar so I can just lift the gates off if need be. I want this trailer to be very versatile in Its uses. Wiring is going to be stupid simple. A friend of mine has a trailer with a set up that I really like. He just welded 2 flat plates to the top rail at the rear, he then sticks magnetic lights to those. The cool thing about this is that the lights are nice and high for visibility, they are cheap and bright, and you never have to lay on the ground to fix your trailer lights.

• Like Like x 3
  15. ripjack13

ripjack13 ɹǝʇɹɐqpooʍ Staff Member Global Moderator Forum Moderator Full Member

First name:
    Marc
    How did I miss this the first time.
    Belated congratulations on the trailer. And cool beans on the rebuild!

• Agree Agree x 1
    • Funny Funny x 1
  16. CWS

CWS Member Full Member

First name:
    Curt
    I know.:coffee1:

17. woodtickgreg

First name:
    Greg
    Worked on the trailer some today. The plan was to cut off anything that wasn't going to be used and grind everything flat.
    I had four of these stake pockets to cut off. Sawzall and a 14tpi blade did the trick.
    20190602_135315.jpg

Next to go was the light brackets since I wont be using these. New ones will be mounted up high.
    20190602_135914.jpg

There was an old trailer jack mount that took some time to grind off but it's off too.
    20190602_151228.jpg

One of the fenders had broken free in places, both are really beat up. So I decided to cut these off too and I'll get new ones after the side walls are welded up.
    20190602_155258.jpg

Both of the fenders are now off, only thing left to do is remove the wheels to grind the stitch welds flush so mounting the new fenders will be easier. But by the time I got to this point my back was very fatigued and I decided to save the grinding for another day.

• Way Cool Way Cool x 2
    • Like Like x 1
    Last edited by a moderator: Jun 3, 2019
  18. woodtickgreg

First name:
    Greg
    All of the old screws have been ground flush from above as well. I have one cross member that is bent and needs to be cut out and replaced. It's a 2" x 3" angle iron, I dont have any of that so I'll need to pick a piece up.

Last edited: Jun 3, 2019
  19. CWS

CWS Member Full Member

First name:
    Curt
    Looks like you are making good progress

20. woodtickgreg

First name:
    Greg
    Slow and steady, like the tortoise

• Like Like x 2
Current Time: 6:41 PM