Teak

Customgripper

Reaction score
First name
Curt
I just finished this set made of Teak wood. It may not have the prettiest appearance as far as grain, color or figuring but, it's attributes and history are far more important than those things. Craig Davis of Davis Precision Gunworks contacted me recently about helping him with a project for one of his customers. He is in the process of building this particular customer a custom AR-15 and, the customer approached him about incorporating some Teak wood into the build. So, the customer gave him a slab of Teak to use in some way to that end. Craig sent the wood on to me and asked me to make a set of 1911 type grips because the customer also asked Craig to source and use a 1911 grip frame in the build instead of the standard AR pistol grip. The Teak that was supplied and used for this set is from the deck of the battleship USS Iowa, seen in the center photo. The same ship that customer had served on during his time in the Navy. To say the least, I was humbled, honored and proud to have been able to serve this veteran in this way. God bless America, and all those who serve in our armed forces, past and present!

Craig Davis (right).jpg

USS Iowa.JPG

Craig Davis (left).jpg

Nature Man

Reaction score
First name
Chuck
Straight grain, but with a purpose! Love it and the story behind it! Congrats on being part of keeping history alive! Chuck

gman2431

Reaction score
First name
cody
I agree with Barry!

You're always making cool grips, especially for some very cool guns..., but this is super cool!

SubVet10

Veteran, Author, Maker
Reaction score
First name
Brandon
I have a deck plank from the BB35 California. After figuring out the grains and giving it lots of TLC with polishing & teak oil it it beautiful in it's own right.

P.S. From one Sailor to another, please give my best regards to the owner.

Last edited:

Customgripper

Reaction score
First name
Curt
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter
I have a deck plank from the BB35 California. After figuring out the grains and giving it lots of TLC with polishing & teak oil it it beautiful in it's own right.

P.S. From one Sailor to another, please give my best regards to the owner.
Roger that, Brandon.