Dismiss Notice
Woodbarter has upgraded to HTTPS. Please see click here for all the details.

Template Creation Request

Discussion in 'CNC Routers & Automated Woodworking Machines' started by Nature Man, Dec 1, 2016.

1. Nature Man

Nature Man Member Full Member Thread Starter

First name:
    Chuck
    Does anyone have the capability to create a hard plastic (1/4"), like plexi-glass, template? It is for a game I am making, and my son has put it into AutoCAD 2017, .dwg file. Size of the template is about 3"x15". Interested in cost, time, etc. Thanks! Chuck

2. Schroedc

Schroedc Trying to kick a nasy sawdust habbit.... Staff Member Global Moderator Full Member

First name:
    Colin
  3. CWS

CWS Member Full Member

First name:
    Curt
    Do you have a picture of the project.

4. JR Custom Calls

JR Custom Calls Gobble Gobble Full Member

First name:
    Jonathan
    I can do it. I have some starboard that would probably work pretty well for that. Depending on what it is you're needing the template for though. If you're just using it with a flush trim bit, MDF would work just fine.

• Thank You! Thank You! x 1
  5. justallan

justallan Member Full Member

First name:
    allan
    Heck, I just want to see what y'all are making.

• Agree Agree x 3
  6. Don Ratcliff

Don Ratcliff Woodless Full Member

First name:
    Don
    Chuck, if it has to be plastic look up TAP Plastics. they are in San Francisco and I believe they are also in Sacramento. just in case you happen to be in that area anytime soon.

:good2: there are 2 in Sacramento

http://www.tapplastics.com/about/locations

Last edited: Dec 1, 2016
  7. Nature Man

First name:
    Chuck
    See below for PDF version of game board - for the actual template, the holes (depressions for holding marbles) would be slightly greater to accommodate a template guide, in order to use a round nose router bit. Game is known by various names, but we call it Cards & Marbles - takes 6 of these boards to complete a set. I need the template in order to use a router with a flush trim bit around the outside of the board, and to plunge rout the holes with a template guide. I had contemplated MDF for the template, but I wanted a very durable template so that I can make many game sets. I am not familiar with starboard. I know that a CNC created template would be a heck of a lot more accurate than anything I could construct by hand. Hope this helps. Chuck

Attached Files:

8. JR Custom Calls

First name:
    Jonathan
    That's interesting. I understand the hesitation on using MDF... Starboard is a plastic material. It's what they use on boats to make a lot of the parts that are exposed. http://www.kingplastic.com/products/king-starboard/

I have a 1/4" sheet that I was given by the company I get my materials from to try out and see how I liked it. So, I have nothing in it, and would just have some time and shipping in the cost. Since you have a DWG, it would only take a few minutes to generate toolpaths and then probably 10 minutes to cut it out. I'll do it for the cost of shipping. The only caveat is that I am super busy right now, is this something you need before Christmas?

9. CWS

CWS Member Full Member

First name:
    Curt
    I don't want to butt in on Jonathan. But if he is not able to make them within your timeline I may be able to help. Jonathan does excellent work and sounds like he is making you a good offer.

10. Schroedc

Schroedc Trying to kick a nasy sawdust habbit.... Staff Member Global Moderator Full Member

First name:
    Colin
    I have to chuckle, I guess I'm not the only one working out this game :sarcastic:

• Agree Agree x 1
    • Funny Funny x 1
  11. JR Custom Calls

First name:
    Jonathan
    I don't mind you taking it at all... but I figured I'd offer to do it since I have this piece of starboard handy. I just can't possibly get to it before Christmas.

12. Nature Man

First name:
    Chuck
    Jonathan -
    I'll take you up on your offer. Thank you! I am not in a rush before Christmas, and it makes sense to use materials you have available, and it will give you a chance to work it. I will get together the .dwg file and send it to you. Chatted with my son this morning and he will forward it to me, as he is the AutoCAD expert. Again, thanks! Chuck

13. Nature Man

First name:
    Chuck
    Curt -
    Since I'm not in a hurry, I've asked Jonathan to do it, as he has materials on hand. Appreciate your offer. Thanks. Chuck

14. CWS

CWS Member Full Member

First name:
    Curt
    That's great. He does awesome work. Have a great holiday season.

15. JR Custom Calls

First name:
    Jonathan
    Get with me after Christmas and I'll get it made for ya. Between lots of orders and meeting with our real estate agent to find a store front for us to set up in, we've got a ton going on right now.

16. Wildthings

Wildthings ASTROS 2017 WORLD CHAMPIONS Full Member

First name:
    Barry
    That's a fun game. We call it Pegs and Jokers. Play it all the time at the deer lease after supper and stay up way too late

17. Nature Man

First name:
    Chuck
    Wilco. No worries on time. Chuck

18. Nature Man

First name:
    Chuck
    Very fun! My wife and I play with a group every week, and have for the past 5+ years. Had to buy a game so that we had our own at first! Have seen many varieties since, but this design is a good basic one. Also thinking about making a more compact travel version, because this set is pretty large to carry with us on trips, and it would use pegs vs marbles. One step at a time... Chuck

19. Nature Man

First name:
    Chuck
    Jonathan dropped out of Woodbarter, and has not been responsive to several of my follow ups, unfortunately. Do you still have the capability to make me a template? Thanks! Chuck

20. CWS

CWS Member Full Member

First name:
    Curt
    I can do it for you. I have some 1/4" corian or 1/4" plexiglass. I either will work ok. I will try to get this next week.

• Way Cool Way Cool x 1
    • +Karma +Karma x 1
Current Time: 4:44 AM