Thank you Arnold

Don Ratcliff

I'm now a Texiian
Reaction score
First name
Don
I have been trying to find koa on the big island. Apparently the only way to do that is to go through the New York connection @Arn213

He found a guy about an hour from me and this morning I met up with him at their sawmill. Had some decent stuff, Koa, mango and pheasant wood. Looking forward to seeing what this stuff wants to be.

:ponder:now, where can I hide this so @Jasonparadis doesn't find it and try sending it to you guys...

20210410_113040.jpg

25942.jpeg

ripjack13

ɹǝʇɹɐqpooʍ
Staff member
Administrator
Global Moderator
Reaction score
First name
Marc
I cant wait to get my finders fee out of that stuff.... :sarcastic:

Arn213

craM de la craM # RipJack City!
Reaction score
First name
Arn
WOW- that was a nice haul and folks those are really wide and thick pieces! :good2:This was a fun challenge and connecting with you @ Don Ratcliff and all those guys that does this for a living harvesting Hawaiian woods. Very classy of you sir- classy and Don in the same sentence :headscratch2:? The most interesting part to me is that everyone that does woodworking, luthiers, milling and logging seems to know pretty much everybody. One of the nicest aspect is if these guys cannot help you, they will give you a lead and “pass the batton” in order to help you and their Hawaiian brothers/sisters out. It is that part of the “Hawaiian” way that I respect and admire greatly.

It pays to live in Hawaii to get friendly deals and service- right Don:wink:? I don’t know know what you do to get that little something extra out of the deal and to get that exemplary service, but whatever it is, it does work. Now, do not show that technique to soon to @Jasonparadis because we want to see him go through the ringer........I mean the proper rights of passage.

Oh and @ripjack13- money and wood is no good..........however discount friendly rates with an ocean view at a fancy resort or fancy Kona coffee beans will do :sarcastic:...........

Arn213

craM de la craM # RipJack City!
Reaction score
First name
Arn
I was in part was asking the “Big Kahuna Don Ratcliff” about the white colored wood he used on his paddles and wondered if it was holly or maple. He replied “coffee”. I wasn’t sure if he was referring to the handle as my brain already made up it’s mind coffee being an earth brown color tone. After awhile, I realized those white laminations was coffee wood. Then it came to me that he is just above the “Kona” belt. I was thinking to myself and realized he is in the zone where perfect conditions is required where koa and Kona coffee thrives! Now I know why he lives in the west side as literally he is near the water, he has great views 360, he is in the Kona coffee belt and where koa grows! I was joking around here when I posted about, “Oh and @ripjack13- money and wood is no good..........however discount friendly rates with an ocean view at a fancy resort or fancy Kona coffee beans will do”:sarcastic:.........

Well, let’s fast forward. I went pass my mailbox apartment in the vestibule and I couldn’t figure out why my side of my mailbox smells like they roasted coffee beans next door. This aroma was very familiar and permeated the room- very robust, intensely aromatic, earthy, acidic and it reminded me of Hawai’i. I opened my mailbox and to my delight and my surprise, let me just say I was elated,
had a big grin in my face, felt blessed and fortunate. This is what came in the package:

7CB60F46-A3CD-49B5-83C4-443A638F6C9D.jpeg

31FAD24D-FFEB-41FE-86B5-51410B617359.jpeg

To @Don Ratcliff and Maya- my heartfelt thanks and appreciation for your generosity and kindness. I feel really blessed and fortunate to have special friends like you and I will never forget this act of kindness and generosity. This aroma from this Kona coffee brings me back good memories when I honeymooned there with my wife. Mahalo to you both for the great Aloha spirit and 🌈 connection vibe.

Arn
PS- I will savor and enjoy this in the weeks to come and yes, looks like I have to share half of this to my wife and send it 800 miles from me.

Last edited: