The ‘ol No. 5

Nathan W

Reaction score
First name
Nathan
I gave a coworker an old bicycle wrench the other day. He restores old bikes and I thought he might like it. He showed up the next morning and handed me this. Pretty nice trade!

3FCAD48A-6C69-4785-9AED-96E4B4E1BE40.jpeg

woodtickgreg

scroll, flat, spin
Staff member
Administrator
Global Moderator
Founding Member
Forum Moderator
Reaction score
First name
Greg
That's a keeper! Tune that one up and restore it.

Nathan W

Reaction score
First name
Nathan
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter
It was nearly unrecognizable when he handed it to me. A good soak and a little honing and it ripped ribbons lake a champ. I’m torn as to repaint or not. Thoughts?

woodtickgreg

scroll, flat, spin
Staff member
Administrator
Global Moderator
Founding Member
Forum Moderator
Reaction score
First name
Greg
Keeping the original japaning black is only for the purist in my opinion. I would totally restore that with fresh paint and refinished tote and knob. Flatten the sole on some sandpaper stuck to a flat surface like a jointer bed or some granite.

Schroedc

Still making sawdust, Maybe make some money....
Reaction score
First name
Colin
It's a later plane with a replacement iron in it I think (Can see the Victor name on the iron) A repaint isn't going to hurt anything as it's not a million dollar plane. if it makes you happy, go ahead and do it!

Nathan W

Reaction score
First name
Nathan
I flattened the sole, sharpened the iron and I am definitely going to refinish the knob with BLO. I looked around online last night for some different colors. If i do refinish it I think a tan base would look really slick.

Nathan W

Reaction score
First name
Nathan
I am please with how this all came together. I bet it is faster with its new paint job! AE5EEE9F-6922-47BE-A559-B062957031B4.jpeg
Keeping the original japaning black is only for the purist in my opinion. I would totally restore that with fresh paint and refinished tote and knob. Flatten the sole on some sandpaper stuck to a flat surface like a jointer bed or some granite.