The tree that fell with the burls & crazy wood grain..

Jolie0708

Reaction score
First name
Jolie
I don't know if any of yall remember the tree we found that had fallen a yr or so ago, but I posted about finding burls on it a few months back.... It's a Bur Oak, the grain near the burls in the trunk part have this crazy almost olive wood grain & color along with reg oak looking wood. I don't know what caused it, but I've recently acquired a band saw, trying to learn to use it. (Was going to try and adjust something but my owners Manual got blown out into the rain now it's as stiff as a board 🤦‍♀️) Anyways I cut some of the round pieces up and thought I'd show yall. I have no idea what in the world. I think I'm gunna make several pens out of it, but I need to find a moisture meter I think. They are cut in totally random lengths because the rounds have big cracks in the center, so I got the best out of the
Rounds that I could. 20210605_172258.jpg 20210605_172328.jpg 20210605_172537.jpg
Dabbed a little water on these two pieces....
20210605_162243.jpg 20210605_171616.jpg
Suggestions for what I do with the left offers?
20210605_172618.jpg
Won't fit in my band saw too cut, any Suggestions?
20210605_172631.jpg 20210605_172638.jpg 20210605_172647.jpg

2feathers Creative Making

Reaction score
First name
Frank
That one might need a more primitive approach. I personally would run a chainsaw down the obvious check and cut that edge off then see if it would fit a bandsaw. If not, see if it will fit your lathe. The larger side should have more burl and curl any way.

Mr. Peet

Reaction score
First name
Mark
@phinds

Jolie,

I clearly remember your earlier post and still find the wood coloring distractive. This picture shows a fluted edge / interface at the bark and wood. This is common with Basswood, Butternut, Walnut and sometimes Sugar maple. I've never seen it in Burr oak, this would be a first, but I have seen it in the hickories and Pecan. This wood lacks any obvious rays often seen on many of the oaks.

Think I need to buy a a slab to look at closer...

1623107123513.png

Arn213

craM de la craM # RipJack City!
Reaction score
First name
Arn
That is some gorgeous wood- really love the color and the grain Jolie! I am also with Mark on this- I have some planks of bur oak that I got from an Arborist in Ohio. Looks like white oak with heavy rays. What you have here does look appear to have similarities to olive wood. So the left overs those larger ones, I would do thin slices on them like 1/8”. During the Victorian period, I have seen furniture where they sliced the logs end (or half logs then book-marched) grain thin and glued it up to the surface of the furniture. There are great examples of these type of period furniture were Jamaican cocuswood was used. You can also do the thin slices and use it for a surface top for an end table over a wood substrate.

Last edited:

phinds

Staff member
Global Moderator
Founding Member
Forum Moderator
Reaction score
First name
Paul
Can't see how that can be oak. No prominent rays. I think whoever told you it was burr oak mislead you.

Jolie0708

Reaction score
First name
Jolie
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter
@Mr. Peet are this the rays yall are speaking of?
Not sure if you can see where my husband did cut some off the tree that didn't have what I'm calling the crazy grain, Ha ha! We have these burr oaks all over our place, Huge Acorns, leaves like the ones we found on the downed tree, but most of them are much bigger.. never had one ever fall that we know of. Also wondering if this was some kind of fungus or disease that caused it..this tree was on the side of a creek (and fell over) that runs from the lake, it goes up and down various times after a big rain. Could water have done this? Just been racking my brain about this dang tree... couldn't find my previous post so added a couple from it on this one.

Mr. Peet

Reaction score
First name
Mark
@Mr. Peet are this the rays yall are speaking of?
Not sure if you can see where my husband did cut some off the tree that didn't have what I'm calling the crazy grain, Ha ha! We have these burr oaks all over our place, Huge Acorns, leaves like the ones we found on the downed tree, but most of them are much bigger.. never had one ever fall that we know of. Also wondering if this was some kind of fungus or disease that caused it..this tree was on the side of a creek (and fell over) that runs from the lake, it goes up and down various times after a big rain. Could water have done this? Just been racking my brain about this dang tree... couldn't find my previous post so added a couple from it on this one.
Leaves are oak, but wood still looks hickory family. Burr oak does not have huge acorns, in general. Are you familiar with hickory nuts and the sometimes thick hull they can have protecting the nut?

Last edited:

Jolie0708

Reaction score
First name
Jolie
Is just confusing to me, I'll try and find some more of the acorns around the other like trees of that one, we have them everywhere. If that will help?

phinds

Staff member
Global Moderator
Founding Member
Forum Moderator
Reaction score
First name
Paul
Looks to me like a Post Oak, not burr oak.
post oak rays are the same as burr oak rays, so if this is post oak, where are the rays?

Jolie0708

Reaction score
First name
Jolie
It's definitely not hickory
I've never looked at rays, or knew that was a thing. When I get home from town my husband is going to cut a healthier part of the tree & I'll post pics

Trob115

Reaction score
First name
Trey
post oak rays are the same as burr oak rays, so if this is post oak, where are the rays?
Paul, I'm specifically basing this off of the leaves, not the rays. Those leaves definitely match post oak and the bark does too. I have never seen a post oak with wood color/figure that looks like that though.