• A New Photo Gallery Has Been Added!!! Please share pictures of your finished projects in the New Photo Gallery for everyone to enjoy browsing. The New Photo Gallery is for FINISHED PROJECTS ONLY!! The New Photo Gallery section was created to give people a place to view photos without having to read through all the threads. Enjoy everyone and please contribute!

The way back walnut and a request

JoshfromPA

Reaction score
First name
Josh
Thanks Rocky! I appreciate it. I am currently standing in Denver Pa. Which is 36 miles from Hearns hardwoods and I believe there is a couple other places a fella could get a nice piece of wood in this area lol! Tomorrow morning is very likely going to find me looking for a piece of wood to finish that box off!

JoshfromPA

Reaction score
First name
Josh
Jason, I really appreciate that!!! Let me know what you find!!

tocws2002

Reaction score
First name
-jason
Jason, I really appreciate that!!! Let me know what you find!!

Here are a couple of pieces I dug out of my stash. One piece is 11" x 12" and the other piece is 8"x 21". Not sure if this is what you are looking for, but it sure is pretty.

So, the story behind these pieces is as follows. A few years ago I was fortunate enough to take a week long course at Marc Adams School of Woodworking (https://www.marcadams.com), which I would highly recommend for anyone of any skill level, from novice to expert, to attend. Marc schedules the best of the best instructors and has numerous courses covering various topics. I've been 3 times and learn more in a week than I would in a year on my own. Anyways, the particular course I took was titled A Marquetry Odyssey with Silas Kopf (https://silaskopf.com/) If you've never heard of Silas Kopf, it's well worth your time to Google his name and look at some of his work, it's absolutely phenomenal. I spent a week doing marquetry under the close instruction of Silas and came away with a finished piece of my dog (will see if I can find some pictures and post). So, I obtained this walnut burl, while not specifically from Silas Kopf (it was actually part of the supply from Marc Adams) during my time at the school and tucked it away for just the right project. @JoshfromPA if this suits you, I think this is that special project.

Hope this will work for you, if not, I'll see what else I can come up with.

Thanks,

-jason

1st Piece (11" x 12")

No flash
20190505_213518.jpg

With Flash
20190505_213525.jpg

2nd Piece (8" x 21")
With flash
20190505_213556.jpg

Close up
20190505_213609.jpg

Last edited:

JoshfromPA

Reaction score
First name
Josh
Jason, either one of those pieces wpuld be absolutely perfect fpr what I need!!! Like I said in my original post, I have quite a bit of walnut pieces as well as oak and a couple pieces of cherry. I would be happy to make a trade with anything I have.

Any species in particular you would like? Or I would be happy to pay for either of them , that bit of story certainly fills the spot for me!

tocws2002

Reaction score
First name
-jason
I'm in pretty good shape as far as oak, cherry, and walnut goes, shoot me your address in a PM and I'll ship some of this to you.

Thanks,

-jason

JoshfromPA

Reaction score
First name
Josh
PM sent Jason. I really do appreciate that. I'm going to pay it forward on the forum.

JoshfromPA

Reaction score
First name
Josh
WOW! I came home from a REALLY stressful day of work today that was the cap to a REALLY stressful week.

I wanted to take a little time out and throw feathers at fish to calm my nerves a little bit.. so I went and did just that. ( browns were munching like crazy by the way)

My wife texted me while I was fishing and said I had a package arrive today!

When I got home and picked up the package I thought...boy that feels awful heavy for a piece of veneer?? Imagine my surprise when I opened the box to find it was packed as full as a box can be of AWESOME veneers!!!

Jason you have no idea how much that little box lifted my spirits today and no idea of how bad they needed lifted.

Thank you, I REALLY appreciate that.

tocws2002

Reaction score
First name
-jason
Glad you like it, sorry it took so long to get it in the mail. If you need more or different sizes let me know.

Post pics of the finished box, we all love pictures!

Thanks,

-jason

JoshfromPA

Reaction score
First name
Josh
Jason I will definitely be posting pics of the finished box! I spent the day today working on building a 2 liter water rocket with my daughter for a school project, so my shop time was pretty limited lol!

I did get a little bit done on the box this morning though so i am hoping that by tomorrow afternoon ill be begining to apply the finish.

JoshfromPA

Reaction score
First name
Josh
Ok, so it took a bit longer than I anticipated but the timing worked out perfect. My father in laws 65th birthday is tomorrow. We wont get to see him until this weekend. And ill give him the box then.

Jason, I can't thank you enough for your kindness. That burl was EXACTLY what the box needed. I ended up using a piece of the curly cherry on the underside of the lid also. Really added a nice touch to it!!!

The bottom of the inside of the box has some leather that I have from an old box of leather that I inhereted from my grandmother who has been gone for a good number of years now. ( she was an avid leather worker in the 70's which I imagine is how long this leather sat in the box its in). All and all I could not be happier with how it turned out, and I think its a fitting way for the way back walnut to continue its trip on this earth. I can only hope this box outlives me and brings a smile to someones face long after I'm gone.

Thanks again Jason!!!

0604191802.jpg

0604191803.jpg

0604191804.jpg

DKMD

Sawbones
Staff member
Administrator
Global Moderator
Forum Moderator
Reaction score
First name
David
Sweet! Love that redwood surprise under the lid!

JoshfromPA

Reaction score
First name
Josh
Thank you all. That was my first box build and I'm really happy with how it came out.

I dont know how in the world people make boxes and sell them, I used all hand tools, so I definitely could have sped up the process in quite a few places but to try and sell them I would be lucky to be making pennys per hour lol!!!

rocky1

Creator of Shavings and Sawdust!
Reaction score
First name
Rocky
Thank you all. That was my first box build and I'm really happy with how it came out.

I dont know how in the world people make boxes and sell them, I used all hand tools, so I definitely could have sped up the process in quite a few places but to try and sell them I would be lucky to be making pennys per hour lol!!!

Haven't figured your time out on any other wood working projects have you? You're doing good if you can make minimum wage turning and finishing a pen, if it's stabilized and cast, you're likely losing money, then the wife complains because you only offer to let her keep 20% when she sells one for you.

Burl looks terrific in there Josh! Father-in-law is gonna love it.

JoshfromPA

Reaction score
First name
Josh
Rocky, I havent kept track of my time for anything other than making the wood rings/ jewelery. I have that down good enough that if I set up a production run and really focus on knocking them out, I can make them quick enough to make a couple bucks here and there. Certainly not any more than min wage by the time you factor in all the true time spent. I would feel REALLY blessed to be able to make min wage on what I do. To be honest I dont think I could even come close to keeping any kind of real average over any extended period with that profit. Maybe every once in a while hit a little stretch where I made that but I would be really surprised.

i've been slowly building up my stock , but honestly, I have no aspirations of making any money at it. If I can make somethimg pretty enough to make someone smile, something that someone thinks is worth a couple bucks of their hard earned money, thats plenty enough for me.

Wood working to me is a means to forget about the hustle and stress of my day...when I'm in my shop the LAST thing on my mind is money lol!!! And when money crosses my mind its without a doubt going to be " hmmm wonder if mama would be ok with me getting a new xyz???" Lolol!!!

T. Ben

Reaction score
First name
Troy
Rocky, I havent kept track of my time for anything other than making the wood rings/ jewelery. I have that down good enough that if I set up a production run and really focus on knocking them out, I can make them quick enough to make a couple bucks here and there. Certainly not any more than min wage by the time you factor in all the true time spent. I would feel REALLY blessed to be able to make min wage on what I do. To be honest I dont think I could even come close to keeping any kind of real average over any extended period with that profit. Maybe every once in a while hit a little stretch where I made that but I would be really surprised.

i've been slowly building up my stock , but honestly, I have no aspirations of making any money at it. If I can make somethimg pretty enough to make someone smile, something that someone thinks is worth a couple bucks of their hard earned money, thats plenty enough for me.

Wood working to me is a means to forget about the hustle and stress of my day...when I'm in my shop the LAST thing on my mind is money lol!!! And when money crosses my mind its without a doubt going to be " hmmm wonder if mama would be ok with me getting a new xyz???" Lolol!!!
I feel the same way josh,when I making something in the garage everything else seems to just go away,when I do try to sell,key word is when,I give a lot away,I try to cover the cost of materials.

Last edited:

David Van Asperen

Reaction score
First name
David
@JoshfromPA
Wonderful story, fantastic box and I am so happy that you have found the real gem( this Wood Barter Family)
Life has been really busy for me as of late so I just haven't spent much time onWood Barter but when I read your post and all of those that responded to your I was again reminded what a blessing this site is and by that I mean its members
I too have been the receipent of some very generous members
I feel you will fit in just fine.
Great job on the box
Dave