Dismiss Notice
Woodbarter has upgraded to HTTPS. Please see click here for all the details.

There's something women like about a pickup man

Discussion in 'Instrument Makers' started by SubVet10, Mar 2, 2019.

?

Which pickups (positions) do I need to upgrade to do so?

1. Neck

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  2. Bridge

1 vote(s)
    50.0%
  3. All

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  4. Neck & Bridge

1 vote(s)
    50.0%
Multiple votes are allowed.
  1. SubVet10

SubVet10 Craftsman; gearhead, twidget, sci-fi nerd Full Member Thread Starter

First name:
    Brandon
    I am getting close to putting my S/S/S strat build back together. My thought is to use it for Southern Rock, Texas Blues styles. Clean, and sustain that lasts for days. Do I necessarily need to replace all the pups? I am leaning to only the bridge.
    Poplar body; Rosewood fretboard, Maple neck

2. FLQuacker

FLQuacker Member Full Member

First name:
    Wayne
    What's in it now?

3. Tony

Tony Hardwood Enthusiast Staff Member Global Moderator Full Member

First name:
    Tony
  4. Arn213

Arn213 craM de la craM # RipJack City! Full Member

First name:
    Arn
    whathesaid

You have a multimeter? You should be able to check resistance for the bridge, middle and neck pickup. This is a good way to start: https://www.fralinpickups.com/2017/11/22/use-multimeter-guitar-pickups/

Poplar is softer and low density wood. Not considered as resonant or wood that sustains. Alder is probably what you are looking for to mate with maple neck shaft and rosewood fretboard. You probably looking at “Stevie Ray Vaughan” tone or “Kenny Wayne Shepherd” tone- I personally had great experience with Fender* Texas Special. Has alnico 5 magnets. Fender refers to them pickups with “Texas Blues Tone”. I find them to be really good for rock, blues, country, hard rock, pop, etc. I do like these pickups only for the sheer fact they are not “polite” when you push them dirty, they have a chirpy mid range, warm, crystalline cleans, focus, etc. Early vintage single coil pickups from 50’s to about 57ish is on the really more polite side of the sound spectrum. You get to about 1959 to 1962 specifications on the pickups, there is a lot more “zing” on the pickups either when over driven or clean or clean with a little break up when you push the gain a bit.

Fender* site dc resistance:
    Neck Pickup: 6.2K. Middle: 6.5K. Bridge: 6.5-7.1K

On a side note, some folks like to get the best of both worlds of vintage to a push vintage type of tone so they get pickup set ‘57/‘62.

• Informative Informative x 2
    Last edited: Mar 4, 2019
  5. SubVet10

First name:
    Brandon
    To answer your first question I think I have had more meters than girlfriends. In a past life I was a marine/offshore ET, though I do appreciate the information. Some of the finer points induction and Kirchoff can evade the memory just like most other important things these days. Except WRT to Jeopardy, I think I would make a killing at the random trivial nonsense.

=====
    Of the two I would lean more towards KWS. I have a decent amp, so I like having my options open. For example, I mod'ed my PRS SE with a 16K/10K set of rail humbuckers so it could try and keep up with my Ibanez.

I am debating between:
    traditional single coil set the are 5.5-5.4Kohms;
    a single rail single AlNiCo ~8.2K,
    dual rail single AlNiCo ~12k
    and Texas Blues overwound singles @ ~ 9k.

6. SubVet10

First name:
    Brandon
    I bought it as a $100 kit from Woodcraft, so dirt cheap probably.

7. Arn213

Arn213 craM de la craM # RipJack City! Full Member

First name:
    Arn
    The traditional single coil set at 5.5 to 5.4 k would have weaker output- “lack of balls” for lack of a better word; am I even allowed to say that here? Straight up with an amp without using an over drive pedal, it will not give you enough umph or oomph. You want a slightly higher output for southern rock to Texas blues.

The dual rail based on the number it will have a higher output resulting in more power, an essence a humbucker that would be hotter. Ideal probably for hard rock into metal.

The 8.2 (neck) and 9 k (middle) are better match with the 12k (bridge) as oppose to mixing the 5.5 to 5.4k that might cause a larger volume drop and lack of power (lack of extra bite and extra bark).

You can also wire it it to 7 way switching as oppose to a 5 way standard switching to give you a wider sound palette. Link: https://www.premierguitar.com/articles/the-seven-sound-stratocaster-1

• Thank You! Thank You! x 1
    Last edited: Mar 5, 2019
Current Time: 2:39 AM