Thin turned

Brandon Sloan

Reaction score
First name
Brandon
Thick or thin? For me it depends on the diameter and species of wood I’m turning. I turned a small maple bowl today. Something about that final cut with one hand supporting the walls of the bowl while removing the finest shavings. Its my version of living on the edge. The action picture is from the birch bowl I’m working on.

85CCAE75-ACB6-4B93-B1A8-697DEA32124B.jpeg

995BB472-298E-4FA5-916B-CDD62BA49CBB.jpeg

4B4F4CA3-80F5-4C25-8E76-F5D222302116.jpeg

63DEECC1-BAAD-495D-95B7-73A39F122225.jpeg

Graybeard

Reaction score
First name
David
Negative rake scraper? Looks like it's maybe a DWay handle and tool? Really nice, high pucker factor. Bet people are surprised when they pick them up.

Gdurfey

Reaction score
First name
Garry
@Brandon Sloan , that is gorgeous!!! And I agree with you; not every piece should be thin. Form, type of wood, etc drives those design details. In this case I think you chose correctly. Take a similar block, change the shape some and a little "heavier" would probably work. But this piece, very, very nice!!!

Brandon Sloan

Reaction score
First name
Brandon
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter
Negative rake scraper? Looks like it's maybe a DWay handle and tool? Really nice, high pucker factor. Bet people are surprised when they pick them up.
Thank you, this scraper and handle are made by Carter & Sons. It’s a traditional bowl scraper. They make some really nice tools, haven’t tried DWay yet. I do have some Thompson handles and I like them as well.

Brandon Sloan

Reaction score
First name
Brandon
David, you are right about D-Way’s negative rake scrapper. Got one with the handle a few weeks ago. Makes the job seem so effortless. Bill
Hey Bill, do you raise a burr by hand or are you using the burr raised by the grinder? I turned one of my Chinese scrapers into a negative rake scraper and the burr is gone after one pass. I’m sure the inferior steel has something to do with it, but I’ve also heard the NRS’s loose their burr faster then traditional scrapers. What’s your experience been?

TimR

Sawdust Engineer
Reaction score
First name
Tim
Fine looking bowl Brandon. Works fine for me as a thin bowl, but also depends on how intended to be used. We've got several bowls that are used almost daily, and I feed better with a bit more heft and resilience to getting knocked around.

William Tanner

Reaction score
First name
Bill
Brandon, I use a CBN wheel and also might dress the burr by hand. Jimmy, who has D-Way and Boxmaster, does a YouTube with Eric Lofstrom on sharpened D-Ways negative rake scrape. The name of the YouTube is Sharpening and using your Boxmaster tools and negative rake scraper. It is a super informative.

ripjack13

ɹǝʇɹɐqpooʍ
Staff member
Administrator
Global Moderator
Reaction score
First name
Marc
Looks good Brandon. How many thins have you done so far?
Have you thought about emelishing the bottom of any with some sort of design? (Chattered or grooves?)

Brandon Sloan

Reaction score
First name
Brandon
Looks good Brandon. How many thins have you done so far?
Have you thought about emelishing the bottom of any with some sort of design? (Chattered or grooves?)
I’ve turned around 50. I have thought about some embellishing on the bottoms. Just need to invest in some tooling.

ripjack13

ɹǝʇɹɐqpooʍ
Staff member
Administrator
Global Moderator
Reaction score
First name
Marc
I’ve turned around 50. I have thought about some embellishing on the bottoms. Just need to invest in some tooling.
If you have any diamond shaped carbides they can be used for making grooved surfaces. You could make a tool handle to hold the carbides instead of buying em. I've made a few using 3/8" rod....

Brandon Sloan

Reaction score
First name
Brandon
If you have any diamond shaped carbides they can be used for making grooved surfaces. You could make a tool handle to hold the carbides instead of buying em. I've made a few using 3/8" rod....
I think I have one of those cutters somewhere. I’ll have to dig it out and give it this a try.

ripjack13

ɹǝʇɹɐqpooʍ
Staff member
Administrator
Global Moderator
Reaction score
First name
Marc
nothin fancy about it. Just used a file to flatten the seat, and a dremel for the recess area of the back side tip...

0714201005_HDR.jpg 0714201005a_HDR.jpg 0714201006_HDR.jpg

Brandon Sloan

Reaction score
First name
Brandon
I like it, Doesn’t look homemade. Seems like the trickiest part would be drilling and tapping the hole to secure the cutter.