Things that go bump in the night!

JLTibbetts

Reaction score
First name
James
I am helping my neighbor build a game table for his Dungeons and Dragons group. Faces of gargoyles, orks, goblins, or dwarfs carved into the corner blocks would be an awesome detail. The center line of their ugly mugs would be on the corners of the apron blocks, giving the appearance of them looking out at a 45* angle from the corners of the table. It sounded like a CNC project to me. Anyone done something of this nature or know someone that has or could?
Any suggestions will be greatly appreciated. I am sure their are many details to be discussed and that can be done in email if necessary.
Thanks folks.

Jim

Mr. Peet

Reaction score
First name
Mark
I am helping my neighbor build a game table for his Dungeons and Dragons group. Faces of gargoyles, orks, goblins, or dwarfs carved into the corner blocks would be an awesome detail. The center line of their ugly mugs would be on the corners of the apron blocks, giving the appearance of them looking out at a 45* angle from the corners of the table. It sounded like a CNC project to me. Anyone done something of this nature or know someone that has or could?
Any suggestions will be greatly appreciated. I am sure their are many details to be discussed and that can be done in email if necessary.
Thanks folks.

Jim

There are several ways to do this. Being on a corner, the CNC cutting bit needs to be extended to be able to cut deep enough to create a reveal. The longer the bit, the more flex, the less crisp detail and higher possibility of imperfections with wood density changes common with figured wood and knots. Just adds a little more hand work. That is carving on the leg directly.
Another way is creating the face on flatstock that matches the corner material for grain and color, and cutting it out and gluing it on a flat that was created on the corner (either a recess or bumpout flat). Could use a 'corner kiss', simply, creating the faces on on 12/4 flatstock or similar thickness needed that has already had the back grooved to marriage the corner. See this sort of thing often with Sapele or one of the mahoganies and walnuts. Grain and color matching other species can often be more challenging. Used to be seen often with male lion's heads on furniture, like pool tables and chair arms and so on.

Your challenge, finding a shop to work with you. Hand carved is likely beyond budget, thus CNC. If you do the 'corner kiss' having contrasting species might work for you. The easy way out (and maybe cheaper) is to have them on the 90, versus 45, just need 8 faces versus 4. Having 8 covers more characters...

FLQuacker

Reaction score
First name
Wayne
3d printed stuff like that is all over etsy....IF I was doing something like that I'd buy 4 and glue em on the corners...and I have a CNC!