Dismiss Notice
Woodbarter has upgraded to HTTPS. Please see click here for all the details.

Think it's time to add a CNC router to the shop...

Discussion in 'CNC Routers & Automated Woodworking Machines' started by Schroedc, Feb 1, 2017.

1. Schroedc

Schroedc Apprentice Saw Maker Staff Member Global Moderator Full Member Thread Starter

First name:
    Colin
    Ok, We have a few folks out there with CNC routers so I thought I'd reach out to you all for some advice. Here is what I want:

24x36 or larger table
    ready to use with reasonably easy setup and assembly
    Anything else you all think I should have or know.

Would also consider a used machine larger or smaller than stated dimensions. (Hint, Hint to anyone with an extra.... :sarcastic:)

Preferably one with bundled software but for the right price and machine could go the other way.

I'm looking at signs, cribbage boards, etc. so probably need some sort of 3D ability in the software for drilling holes?

Let me know what you;d recommend, what you spent, and what you'd do differently if you could.

Thanks!

• Way Cool Way Cool x 1
  2. CWS

CWS Member Full Member

First name:
    Curt
    I have an Axiom Pro 6. It is 24x36. Cost almost 7000 with the stand. it has a water cooled spindle with onboard cooling, which is a lot better than a off the shelf router. You will need to purchase software to create projects, I use V-Carve pro from Vectric. It is very easy to use. I think it cost about $700 now.

3. JR Custom Calls

JR Custom Calls Gobble Gobble Full Member

First name:
    Jonathan
    I know you said ready to go... but check out CNC Router Parts. I've been extremely happy with both of mine. I think @Tclem and @justallan have the Nebula from Probotix. The down side to the Nebula, IMO, is that it uses linuxcnc where most machines run Mach3 or WinCNC. Maybe it's not bad, but for me, it was easy to find people online to help with mach3. Join the CNC Router Tips facebook page, lots of good info there.

• Agree Agree x 1
  4. justallan

justallan Member Full Member

First name:
    allan
    I have the Probotix Nebula and love it. It comes with it's own PC, takes about a half hour to get all set up, push the "GO" button and it's running. I use V-carve Pro from Vectric. Using Vectric also lets you start off with cheaper drawing program and then when you upgrade they discount you the price of that program from new the one you want, rather than putting out the money all at once for something that you may not use right away. Unless you plan on drawing in 3D you shouldn't need more than V-carve Pro. V-carve pro will run 3D programs that you buy or download elsewhere. Get the free trial and play with it as much as possible, plus their free tutorials are real easy to understand for the average person.
    This is the only CNC router I have had and feel it's worth the money. I only make signs and crib boards right now, have never advertised other than bragging on my FB page and folks are begging me to run the thing.
    I feel you would be smart to get the biggest "work area" that you can, it will make it worlds easier to anchor your work and definitely opens more opportunities as to what you can carve on. The flip side of that is that you want to be able to walk around the machine, I can't and it's a PITA sometimes.
    Hope that helps some.

5. Schroedc

Schroedc Apprentice Saw Maker Staff Member Global Moderator Full Member Thread Starter

First name:
    Colin
    How much is a guy going to spend all in for a 24x48 machine?

Current Time: 1:48 PM