Thirteen blocks - diw burl, ebony, rosewood...

bhatleberg

Reaction score
First name
Brian
These are more leftovers that didn't get used over Christmas season. Time to clear them out.

Woods are tulipwood, desert ironwood, cocobolo, black and white ebony, Philippine ebony, and afzelia. Basically knife block size with some variation, should also be good for inlay, carving, pens, and other small projects.

Interested in trading for interesting or unusual material - if it looks cool, if I haven't heard of it before, or if I can't buy it, try me! I need min size 9" one dimension, can work w pretty much anything else.

Last edited:

BoonareeBurl

Reaction score
First name
Grant

BoonareeBurl

Reaction score
First name
Grant
Closing this one out
Brian, I can't recall: Are you interested in a block of California coast live oak (Quercus agrifolia)? It would still be green though. Let me know. I'm pretty sure we had discussed this local, non-commercial wood as a potential trade in this forum earlier somewhere.

G

bhatleberg

Reaction score
First name
Brian
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter
Sure, I'd trade for that. Want to picture, and let's work something out?

Last edited:

BoonareeBurl

Reaction score
First name
Grant
Sure, I'd trade for that. Want to picture, and let's work something out?
Cool. My father-in-law and I will have to process it. I believe you prefer minimum 9" in one dimension. Basically we're processing the following (or something like it, as there's potentially two pieces):

1674749941992.png

1674749974504.png

I'll let you know when we're done. If you get some kind of better offer before then, no problem. This probably won't be done for at least a week or two.

Thanks, Brian.

G

bhatleberg

Reaction score
First name
Brian
Okay. Send me a pm, and let's work out what you want in trade.

BoonareeBurl

Reaction score
First name
Grant
Okay. Send me a pm, and let's work out what you want in trade.
Brian, freshly logged/milled California coast live oak. This piece is approximately 1.95 inches (minimum) square and around 9.9 inches long. It is green and hasn't been sealed yet.

20230212_133429.jpg

20230212_133413.jpg

20230212_133309.jpg 20230212_133502.jpg

I can't see the pics of what you had for trade here, but I am interested in spalted, burls, and the hardest of the hardwoods.

Let me know.

Thanks,

G

BoonareeBurl

Reaction score
First name
Grant
I have camatillo already, but your piece is superior, so it is a possibility, though I'd prefer something I don't have.

Partridgewood doesn't fit into any of my collections right now.

Do you have anything else? Doesn't have to be a huge blank. Just minimum 7/8" square x 5" long for a pen.

Let me know.

Thanks, Brian.

G

bhatleberg

Reaction score
First name
Brian
Hmm. I don't cut anything to 7/8 - maybe I can dig something up that's an over sanded 1x1, but by and large most will be 3/4".

Here's an irregular little piece of stabilized afzelia - 4.5 x 1.5 x .75". I think it has a nice mix of heart and sapwood.

Or here is boxwood at 6 x .75 x .75 x .75" and a nicely figured mesquite at 5 x .75 x .75".

Any interest in either of those?

20230214_094522.jpg

20230214_094527.jpg

20230214_094514.jpg

BoonareeBurl

Reaction score
First name
Grant
Hmm. I don't cut anything to 7/8 - maybe I can dig something up that's an over sanded 1x1, but by and large most will be 3/4".

Here's an irregular little piece of stabilized afzelia - 4.5 x 1.5 x .75". I think it has a nice mix of heart and sapwood.

Or here is boxwood at 6 x .75 x .75 x .75" and a nicely figured mesquite at 5 x .75 x .75".

Any interest in either of those?

View attachment 238044

View attachment 238045

View attachment 238046
How's about the camatillo and Afzelia burl for the original turning blank of coast live oak plus this one, which has some of the red sapwood (around 9.7 inches long before it starts to really wane, andI might have to chop off .25 inches off the tip to get it in a flat rate envelope):

20230214_105718.jpg 20230214_103134.jpg 20230214_103157.jpg 20230214_103228.jpg

Note that I've sealed the ends of the live oak, including the original piece. (If you agree to this trade, you could cut a 3.5-inch piece off the camatillo because it'll make it easier to fit in a flat-rate envelope and 3.5 inches is the length for a Rollester pen kit).

Let me know what you think.

Thanks,

G

bhatleberg

Reaction score
First name
Brian
Doesn't seem real balanced to me.

I only need one piece of the live oak. I have a big chunk of it, but mine is sinker material that is a few hundred years old and toughened by being underwater forever and then dried. So I want to fool around with a "younger" piece just out of curiosity to compare (and, frankly, to see if what I have smells terrible bc it's live oak or because it's sinker material). But I don't need more.

Got anything else to throw in?

BoonareeBurl

Reaction score
First name
Grant
Doesn't seem real balanced to me.

I only need one piece of the live oak. I have a big chunk of it, but mine is sinker material that is a few hundred years old and toughened by being underwater forever and then dried. So I want to fool around with a "younger" piece just out of curiosity to compare (and, frankly, to see if what I have smells terrible bc it's live oak or because it's sinker material). But I don't need more.

Got anything else to throw in?
I might have a piece of milo wood with potentially some sapwood shortly (waiting for my father-in-law to cut it).

To me, this live oak smells really nice, but that could be because it took me 4 hours of sawing to cut the chunks off the log, so anything would smell nice after all that work.

Would you happen to have any stabilized spalted maple burl like this?

1676408447806.png

Stay tuned. I might have the milo as soon as tomorrow or later this week.

Thanks,

G