Thuma bed (castle joints)

Babamba

Reaction score
First name
Dongkwan
Ive tried drawing up plans for a bed with castle joint constructions (makes for super easy assembly/disassembly) on solidworks for a queen sized bed.
I was wondering if anyone else here has done that, and whether or not you reduced the height of the inner support of the castle joint.
Right now, I have
4x4's for the legs, and
1x4's for the vertical pieces
1x2.25's for the horizontal pieces
I'd appreciate if you were able to give me any pointers on this. Im not home right now, but i'll be home on wednesday or thursday, during which I can share pictures and dimensions on which im working with.
I do have a couple of questions though:
1. I'm building a queen size bed (60"x80") mattress, does the slot for the bed need to be slightly bigger, or are beds usually made for an exact fit?
2. Would it be better to use 2"x4"'s instead of 1"x4"s to bear load? I mean, of course its better, but the real question is are 1x4's sturdy enough to be used here without issue? I'm working with walnut.

2feathers Creative Making

Reaction score
First name
Frank
Most walnut beds I have dealt with are 5/4 x 6 inch bed rails. Part of the relevant info is whether you are using box spring or not. They will distribute the load more evenly. Thus requiring less wood to carry the load

barry richardson

Staff member
Global Moderator
Reaction score
First name
Barry
I used 2x6s on my bed, that might be overkill, but it sure is sturdy. As for the bed space, I think I just took the standard size and added 1/4" to it each way. Like Frank says, are you using a box spring? this will affect your design..... BTW, I know nothing about castle joints, I used these,
1629122630157.png

Last edited:

DLJeffs

Reaction score
First name
Doug
We bought our bed from a local furniture store. The one thing my wife and I don't like about it is the box spring/ mattress fits so tightly in the frame, it's hard to get your hand in there when your making the bed. More than once I've scraped off a little bark from the back of my hand squeezing it in between the mattress and the headboard to get the fitted sheet around the mattress. So my recommendation is to go larger rather than tighter.

Mike Hill

Board Whoarder
Reaction score
First name
Mike
As already said - makes a difference is box spring will be used or not.

The 4x4 legs are definitely ok - heck for that matters - 1x1 would suffice for strength.

You mention horizontal and vertical pieces - not sure what you are referring to.

Bedrails - definitely 2x6 should be more than adequate. As well as the head and foot rails.

That leaves slats or platform. Slats - I usually use 1x3 or 1x4 - probably 6. If no box springs, then you need a "platform" and you either need more slats or throw some plywood on top of the slats.

Babamba

Reaction score
First name
Dongkwan
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter
As already said - makes a difference is box spring will be used or not.

The 4x4 legs are definitely ok - heck for that matters - 1x1 would suffice for strength.

You mention horizontal and vertical pieces - not sure what you are referring to.

Bedrails - definitely 2x6 should be more than adequate. As well as the head and foot rails.

That leaves slats or platform. Slats - I usually use 1x3 or 1x4 - probably 6. If no box springs, then you need a "platform" and you either need more slats or throw some plywood on top of the slats.
I think these photos will explain better than I can by typing. The support rail on the inside is where the slats will go (though I will probably place it a little lower), and there will be one support beam running lengthwise through the middle of the bed.
Its for a queen size bed, so the dimensions are about 60x80 inches.
The "vertical" piece refers to the bottom piece of the top photo.
The "horizontal" piece refers to the top piece (T-Shaped) resting on top.
Right now, the only lumber i've bought for this are 4x4's for the legs, and I'm thinking 1x4's for the pieces pictured below. Should I go with 2x4's? or a combination of the two? beam unexploded.jpg beam exploded view.jpg bed assembly.jpg

Babamba

Reaction score
First name
Dongkwan
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter
Most walnut beds I have dealt with are 5/4 x 6 inch bed rails. Part of the relevant info is whether you are using box spring or not. They will distribute the load more evenly. Thus requiring less wood to carry the load
I don't plan on using a box spring, just slats for support, along with a thicker beam running down the middle for support. I will also have a 5th "leg" for support in the center of the bed.

2feathers Creative Making

Reaction score
First name
Frank
I don't plan on using a box spring, just slats for support, along with a thicker beam running down the middle for support. I will also have a 5th "leg" for support in the center of the bed.
I would definitely go larger than 1x4 for side rails. Slats are fine at 1x4 unless you are using metal plates at that joint, I would go with thicker and taller. 2x6. But I own a mill.
If you are using 1 by material, you might reverse the notches to use more of the supporting material.
Also, most beds drop the mattress slightly below the edge of the bed to make it hold still.

Last edited:

Arn213

craM de la craM # RipJack City!
Reaction score
First name
Arn
I get what you are after and I have done a lot of custom bed designs. If you use a queen or a king, the 5th leg in the middle to me will not be enough even to ease the load. Thinking about when 2 people are sleeping and the area of the mattress is split in half. 2 legs would be better lengthwise to the span of the central rail spread out accordingly for proper balance.