Time for an adult beverage

rocky1

Creator of Shavings and Sawdust!
Reaction score
First name
Rocky
Should be just as good as the day they went in the bottle. Drink em both and tell us how good they were tomorrow afternoon!

Schroedc

Still making sawdust, Maybe make some money....
Reaction score
First name
Colin
Should be just as good as the day they went in the bottle. Drink em both and tell us how good they were tomorrow afternoon!

My wife and I just sampled them, they aren't really all that good. Drinkable but not anything to write home about.

rocky1

Reaction score
First name
Rocky
Ran across a bottle like that in the bar up in Turtle Lake a few years back, gift box of some nature of blended Canadian whiskey. Late 60s early 70s vintage. Came from a distillery up there in Kenbo's corner of the artic circle somewhere. Thought maybe it was worth something as no one had ever heard of it, very sweet velvet lined box.
Looked it up, and it was worth about what a bottle of whiskey was worth, several bottles on E-Bay at the time, so... :whatever:we decided to drink it!

Wasn't bad, but not the top shelf blended whiskey the articles I dug up might have suggested. Was supposed to have been good stuff, and it tasted like any other bottle of Windsor.

ripjack13

ɹǝʇɹɐqpooʍ
Staff member
Administrator
Global Moderator
Reaction score
First name
Marc
Make em into some mixers. Look for some soda with real sugar. It tastes better. I like a good strong whisky n black cherry soda. Capt . Eli's is real good..

rocky1

Reaction score
First name
Rocky
I been to the Toucan, but not that one! Mexico Beach, FL over there next door to Panama City has a Toucan Bar and Grill.

SENC

Reaction score
First name
Henry
https://flaviar.com/compass-box/com...u-experience-technical-issues-at-the-checkout

@SENC
Henry, would this be a good choice to introduce myself to the peat flavor?
Sorry I missed this - I haven't had this scotch, but it has Caol Ila roots which should be promising. That said, if you're wanting to get a good first taste of a peaty whisky to see if you'd like it I'd start with a known single malt from a distillery known for peatiness.

On the same page as the compass is listed an Ardbeg 10 for about the same price. I can definitely recommend that one as a high peat experience. It is a great scotch despite its youth, and I think that is where I'd start.

Lagavulin 16 is a much more refined peaty scotch, but its popularity the last 10 years has moved it from a $50 bottle to a $100 bottle, way too much to spend for sampling.

Laphroig makes extremely peaty whiskys, too, but some can have a taste reminiscint of iodine. Most either love them or hate them. Their quarter cask is a very good (less iodiny), reasonably priced whisky available in many liquor stores.

Tom Smart

Reaction score
First name
Tom
Sorry I missed this - I haven't had this scotch, but it has Caol Ila roots which should be promising. That said, if you're wanting to get a good first taste of a peaty whisky to see if you'd like it I'd start with a known single malt from a distillery known for peatiness.

On the same page as the compass is listed an Ardbeg 10 for about the same price. I can definitely recommend that one as a high peat experience. It is a great scotch despite its youth, and I think that is where I'd start.

Lagavulin 16 is a much more refined peaty scotch, but its popularity the last 10 years has moved it from a $50 bottle to a $100 bottle, way too much to spend for sampling.

Laphroig makes extremely peaty whiskys, too, but some can have a taste reminiscint of iodine. Most either love them or hate them. Their quarter cask is a very good (less iodiny), reasonably priced whisky available in many liquor stores.
I'd add Bowmore 10 or Talisker 10 to this mix. While Talisker is from Skye vs Islay, it does have a light peat flavor.

Last edited: