Dismiss Notice
Woodbarter has upgraded to HTTPS. Please see click here for all the details.

To Wood Barter Family- From Kevin's daughter

Discussion in 'Best Wishes' started by CodyCole24, Nov 20, 2016.

1. CodyCole24

CodyCole24 I love you Dad! Full Member Thread Starter

First name:
    Cody Abby
    Hello wood barter family. I am Kevin's daughter Abby Jaynes Cole, I have been reading all of the comments and it has truly helped to hear how much he was loved by so many people all across the world! This site was such a big part of his life! He loved his wife, Terry, he loved me, his son-Garrett, his grandchildren (my 4 kids), his 3 "bonus" kids (Terry's kids), his sister-Karen was his best friend, his mother, father, and so so many of his other family and friends! And he was so loved by all of us as well! I am still in shock. My dad and I had just started building our relationship stronger and stronger...every time he got the chance to step away from the wood work he would come see me and my family. He would do anything for anyone. He was here to help me and my family whenever I needed him!! He had just added my husband as a member on here. He talked so much to us about this site every time we saw him. He built me the most beautiful queen size bed made from Cedar when I was about 8 years old. I still have it. Oh the smell of cedar...will ALWAYS remind me of him!!! He has crafted some of the most beautiful items for all of his family and many of his friends. My dad loved life. My dad would never ever do this. And I don't understand why or how this happened. I wish I had answers!! I love you so so much dad! I will do everything I can to help with the site and to continue his legacy. I extremely appreciate all the love shown for my dad and all our family! I know he is watching over me and my family everyday. I still feel him and hear him. I will look for your guidance in the love and light.
    Your girl,
    Abacab (he called me this bc he loved classic rock and "Genesis"-Abacab album was our thing since I was a little girl)

2. Wildthings

Wildthings ASTROS 2019 WORLD CHAMPION RUNNER UPS Full Member

First name:
    Barry
    Hello Abby! I can't express the deep loss I feel. I can't imagine how y'all feel. Your dad will be missed greatly. I'm terrible about expressing my thoughts but sure you get the picture. Me and my family's prayers are with you and your family

Barry

3. Mike1950

Mike1950 Founding Member Founding Member Full Member

First name:
    Mike
    Sorry for your loss Abby- May he rest in peace.

4. Schroedc

Schroedc Trying to kick a nasy sawdust habbit.... Staff Member Global Moderator Full Member

First name:
    Colin
    Abby, My thoughts are with you and your family in this difficult time. May he rest in peace.

5. rocky1

rocky1 Creator of Shavings and Sawdust! Full Member

First name:
    Rocky
    Seldom do we ever understand such things Abby; if your Dad had a choice in this matter, I'm sure you're right, he'd have never done such a thing. Unfortunately, there are powers in this old world that are bigger than all of us, and we just don't always have a choice in these matters. While he may be gone in body, you have a lifetime of memories to hold on to, and he'll live on in spirit as big and for as long as you let him darlin. I know it hurts, but at times like this we have to sit down, take a deep breath, and say... "If Dad were here, what would he tell us to do?" You no doubt know the answer to that, better than any of us here do. But if you need anyone to remind you, by all means come join us, and we'll help refresh your memory.

6. Jack "Pappy" Lewis

Jack "Pappy" Lewis Member Full Member

First name:
    Jack
    Dear Abby, You are an extension of your father, I can see that in your writing, the way you expressed your love for him and his love for you and the rest of the family. And that family extended out to us, his WoodBarter Buddies, and it shocked us as family, not just as internet members. To say the least, he would never choose to leave those he loved and what he loved to do, none of us are ready for that last step, and unfortunately one day we all will have to take it, which does not make it any easier for those we will leave behind to go ahead with their lives, but.....what you said, "Oh the smell of cedar...will ALWAYS remind me of him!!!" is the fuel that will help to continue to burn those memories for the life we have a head of us. "I know he is watching over me and my family everyday. I still feel him and hear him." Hold on to that...............pappy

7. JohnF

JohnF Member Full Member

First name:
    John
    Abby, everything is about the quality of, not the length of your life. I'm positive your father had much quality. That's evidenced by what you have said, and also by the family pictures he proudly displayed on his site with those curly haired grandkids, and of you and the rest of his family. It was obvious that's what meant the most to him, his family. Which also included his online family I'm sure.

8. manbuckwal

manbuckwal Member Full Member

First name:
    Tom
    Sorry for you and your family's loss Abby ! Happy to see you had wonderful relationship w him !

9. CodyCole24

CodyCole24 I love you Dad! Full Member Thread Starter

First name:
    Cody Abby
    Thank you all so much! My dad meant so much to me, more than he ever knew! And I know I meant more to him than I probably knew. I love him so much! I will be putting the bed he made me out of Cedar when I was a kid, in my home. My kids will be sleeping in it. He made SO SO many beautiful things. As soon as I can I am going to post all the photos of his work and some of our family. I am sure you have all seen many of his work but I would love to share with everyone! I hope his legacy continues somehow. My brother always wanted to learn his gift and he talked to my brother so many times about how he wanted him to continue it on. But he had to finish that house first. 12 years of building his house because he couldn't just focus on one thing. And I loved that about him. He was going to build my newest baby girl a crib and I told him no, don't, just work on your house we have a crib. He always wanted to do things for others even if he needed or had something to do. He had so many talents. My whole family was recently sick with sinus infections and he was going to step away from the business and his home to stay with me and help. But I said no also. I didn't want to take his time from his work. But I now wish I would have just let him! I had saw him 3 days before. That helps. Thank you all again! So much! You were family to him and now to me and our family!

10. Tony

Tony Hardwood Enthusiast Staff Member Global Moderator Full Member

First name:
    Tony
    Abby, you joining our little family here has been a wonderful, unexpected surprise. We all knew how proud he was and how much he loved his children and grandchildren, we all enjoyed the pictures he would post of y'all. We knew him, but not in the way you did, and certainly none of us have spent the time with him you have. Please keep sharing memories, it makes things much better for me and others I'm sure. Hopefully this will help you and us get past the hurt time. Tony

11. CWS

CWS Member Full Member

First name:
    Curt
    Bless you and all of your family young lady.

12. mdlbldrmatt135

mdlbldrmatt135 Founding Member Founding Member Full Member

First name:
    Matt
    Abby,

It still shocks me to realize he's not on this plane with us anymore. Just Sunday, I had a thought I was going to run by him, for the Kehoe jig. (I've been doing stuff with/for him on it for a couple of years and I had a thought Sunday. I grabbed my phone and pulled up his number, and it hit me, he won't answer. He was always open to hearing some wild ass, harebrained idea, no matter how obscure it was.

I'll miss chatting with him, and my thought are with all of you guys even though we may never have met in person.

13. woodtickgreg

woodtickgreg scroll, flat, spin Staff Member Global Moderator Forum Moderator Founding Member Full Member

First name:
    Greg
    Abby, I am so hppy that you are participating here on the forum with us! It tickles me now when I see a new post from you. anyone can learn this craft, we all started somewhere. The members here will all help and guide the beginner. You or your husband or other family members should pick up Kevin tools and have some fun with them and start creating. Your dad would love to see that, he would love to have his family use his tools. I can think of no better way to honor a craftsman that has passed than to use and cherish his tools as he did. we here will help. I often think, who will use my tools, what will happen to them?
    Wishing you happy days, fond memories, and making new ones.
    Greg

14. larry C

larry C Member Full Member

First name:
    Larry
    Well stated, Greg!

15. Steve Walker

Steve Walker Expert Lurker Full Member

First name:
    Steve
    You nailed it with that one Greg, what better place to learn than here.

Now, I need to go find me an apprentice, that will be worthy of my tools.

16. larry C

First name:
    Larry
    I'd like to apply for that position!

17. GeorgeS

GeorgeS Member Full Member

First name:
    George
    I found Wood Barter a few years back when I got back into wood working. The place that your father created here is special. A large group of people taking care off each other like family. There is a good bit of ribbing, very little fighting (not like family), a whole lot of knowledge and a group of people willing to help one another with whatever they need. I feel at home here and you should be very proud of your dad for creating this place! I feel privileged and honored to be a part of this group. May your dad rest in piece and may you find comfort in the loving memories you will carry in your heart forever.

18. woodtickgreg

woodtickgreg scroll, flat, spin Staff Member Global Moderator Forum Moderator Founding Member Full Member

First name:
    Greg
    I have been trying to find that apprentice for years, it's hard to find someone that has an interest in wood working since they discontinued all the shop classes in schools. When I was a kid if I would have found an old fart like myself with the shop full of tools that I have now I would be mowing that guys grass for free and washing his car just for the chance to get into his shop.

19. Steve Walker

Steve Walker Expert Lurker Full Member

First name:
    Steve
    Ok by me, but the commute would be a real bugger.....no room and board here.:lol:

20. larry C

First name:
    Larry
    Not a problem, we used to live in south of Elkhart.....moved to Alabama when we retired about 14 years ago....we go back to Indiana every summer for
    a couple months..