Today's Backyard Wildlife

Mr. Peet

Reaction score
First name
Mark
Okay how about this 22 pointer (not a 10 pointer or 11 pointer) from Illinois just recently harvested
View attachment 234892

read about it here REALTREE
Counted 19, must be a few hidden bumps big enough to hang a ring.... We had a 23 pointer taken a few miles north of us, but the guy refused to enter it in any of the local contests, so have not seen it yet.

Wildthings

ASTROS '23 ALCS CHAMPIONS runnerup
Reaction score
First name
Barry
Counted 19, must be a few hidden bumps big enough to hang a ring.... We had a 23 pointer taken a few miles north of us, but the guy refused to enter it in any of the local contests, so have not seen it yet.
Big enough to hang a ring is not a scoreable point. A point as described by B&C is: "must be at least one inch long, with the length exceeding width at one inch or more of length."

I'm an official scorer for our Texas Big Game Awards program and score quite a few throughout the year. I'm always asked why that point is not in the scoring! They get the official information but then I tell them if it was mine, in my conversations it would be referred to as a 13 pointer not the official 10 pointer 👍👍

Nubsnstubs

Where is it???
Reaction score
First name
Jerry
Back about 1984-5, my shop was next door to a taxidermist. One day during whitetail season, someone brought in a deer head that had 28 points. It looked like someone took a bunch of sticks and just grouped them into something resembling a ball on top pf this deer's head. Unfortunately when the guy aimed and pulled the trigger, the bullet actually cut the center of the skull that has that line in it indicating right and left sides. When the skin was removed, the skull just split causing the spread to widen. That caused anyone scoring the antlers unable to get an accurate count for points. So, it was recorded as a 28 point rack.

It was the wierdest mess I've ever seen on an antler mount. ................. Jerry (in Tucson)

DLJeffs

Reaction score
First name
Doug
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter
Dang it. I was trying to put this whole antler point counting controversy to rest and all I did was fuel the fire. @Wildthings - that buck in your photo had some mongo neck muscles to carry that around all day.

Last edited:

Mike1950

Founding Member
Founding Member
Reaction score
First name
Mike
Dang it. I was trying to put this whole antler point counting controversy to rest and all I did was fuel the fire. @Wildthings - that buck in your photo had some mongo neck muscles to carry that around all day.
good luck putting to rest. It was going long before I was born and who cares Us westerners cannot help the fact that easterners are weird.:lol2::yipee::yipee::sarcastic::sofa:

Last edited: