• A New Photo Gallery Has Been Added!!! Please share pictures of your finished projects in the New Photo Gallery for everyone to enjoy browsing. The New Photo Gallery is for FINISHED PROJECTS ONLY!! The New Photo Gallery section was created to give people a place to view photos without having to read through all the threads. Enjoy everyone and please contribute!

Today's Backyard Wildlife

DLJeffs

Reaction score
First name
Doug
Sat out on the deck for 20 minutes trying to get both the lesser goldfinch and the hummingbird in the same shot - they were both feeding on the cosmos flowers. Gave up and just got the goldfinch.

eating cosmos seeds 2021b.jpg

eating cosmos seeds 2021f.jpg

DLJeffs

Reaction score
First name
Doug
Heard the juvenile great horned owl screeching. The parent was perched on the stump in my neighbor's yard. I didn't see the exchange but at some point the parent flew up to my neighbor's roof, called up the juvenile and gave it dinner. Can't tell for sure - might be cottontail, might be spotted ground squirrel. Definitely mammal versus avian dinner.

juvenile with dinner on roof 2021.jpg

DLJeffs

Reaction score
First name
Doug
Very cool - as long as it doesn't learn there's food inside. Then it becomes very messy and costly. I think in many places people would be surprised who's checking out their backyards at 3:40am.

Mike Hill

The Bard of Barbecue
Reaction score
First name
Mike
Hate them bird feeder thieves. I have to bring mine in every night or them distant cousins to the bears - raccoons, would get the food. I have squirrel proof feeders, but apparently they are not coon-proof. And probably not bear proof!

DLJeffs

Reaction score
First name
Doug
Been liking your shots. What camera are you using?
I mostly use a Canon 7D with a Canon L series 100-400mm zoom. I wish I could afford a better zoom lens. This one works fine in good light but evening shots (like the owls) it can't get sharp enough. The juvenile owl eating dinner on my neighbor's roof is a good example - see how grainy it looks? That was shot at dusk and the owl was around 40-45 yards away.

Last edited:

Mike1950

Founding Member
Founding Member
Reaction score
First name
Mike
big wildlife no shooting zone behind us-hills and timber. Moose-elk-bear-yotes and cougars. when we get a lot of snow the moose and cougars move down here. Never seen the elk down here but have seen in woods and smelled them. Son put a trail cam near a spring for 2 weeks. got 5 different moose - and a few deer in first 4 days but then a bear decided to readjust camera. great shots of ground after that. He has it higher now- waiting for new shots. He wants to picture a cougar, he will plenty of them up there.

DLJeffs

Reaction score
First name
Doug
big wildlife no shooting zone behind us-hills and timber. Moose-elk-bear-yotes and cougars. when we get a lot of snow the moose and cougars move down here. Never seen the elk down here but have seen in woods and smelled them. Son put a trail cam near a spring for 2 weeks. got 5 different moose - and a few deer in first 4 days but then a bear decided to readjust camera. great shots of ground after that. He has it higher now- waiting for new shots. He wants to picture a cougar, he will plenty of them up there.
I'd love to see a puma in the wild. Never seen one but I think they've seen me.