Today's Backyard Wildlife

Mike1950

Founding Member
Founding Member
Reaction score
First name
Mike
Now Meese are another thing. Driving from Anchorage to Homer and decided to make a detour to Portage Lake - the wind was right and I had a sneaking suspicion. Got to the visitor's center and was excited that my suspicion was correct. The wind had blown all the icebergs to that end of the lake and you could just about not get your feet wet and touch the clear blue - It was like being in an icy fairy tale - sorta like being in the castle in Frozen. Well got out of the Jeep, it was very early and I was the only one in the parking lot and was ogling the bergs when I heard something to my left. Looking over to my right, but only half-heartedly - I was still entranced with the closeup bergs - and I sorta noticed a cute little mini moose. Took two more steps and reality hit me aside the head - if there was a mini moose, there was also a momma moose around - and where was she? Looked to my left and there she was in all her hugeness and I was between her and her little-un. I about dropped my cameras. Luckily she had twins and was attending to the other mini-moose and Lil Mikey was able to slowly and carefully backtrack to the parking lot, clean himself up and get down to the water along a different route.
Fish and game come to our neighborhood and paintball the moose. Then they watch them. if they stay, usually they do-lots of spendy shrubs to eat, They bring in a crew. Giant horse trailer, 8 man stretcher and they dart them, put in trailer and haul 80 miles north. Cows with calves take priority. Pics are 2 calves with mom. calves about 400 lbs. Cow was keeping a close eye on me. calve was on other side of 5.5 foot fence. about 20 ' away.

DSC_0013.JPG

DSC_0007 (2).JPG

DSC_0008 (800x536).jpg

scootac

Reaction score
First name
George
1st time I saw a moose was on a motorcycle trip to Nova Scotia. Riding the Cabot Trail going around a curve and there she was, up the bank on the side of the road! Stopped and just watched her.....wondering what I might do if she came towards me. No worries.....she just wandered around a bit then back into the thick brush.
Amazed at how tall they are!!!

DLJeffs

Reaction score
First name
Doug
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter
When they bugle within 20" feet behind you, and you got one or two hands on an active line, sounds like a Q siren and if not lucky you have a load to transport as well.
I love to hear elk bugling. And loons, love to hear loon calls.

DLJeffs

Reaction score
First name
Doug
Great horned owls in spring and coyotes or a big buck snort yards away
Listened to the great horned owl pair calling each other this morning. Let's add wolves howling while sitting around a campground fire.

Mike Hill

Board Whoarder
Reaction score
First name
Mike
Loons - only heard them "On Golden Pond" I don't think Andy Griffith's was real!

DLJeffs

Reaction score
First name
Doug
Woke up to freezing fog again. It starts to melt from the top of the handrail but the drips re-freeze into icicles, which are still out there now at 4pm. But the birds find it a good source of drinking water. I guess even though it's cold they still need to drink. The hummingbird likes to chase them away. Pine siskins, house finch, juncos, goldfinches. Here's a couple pics.

house finch female on deck rail.jpg

house finch male on deck rail.jpg

pine siskins on deck rail.jpg

DLJeffs

Reaction score
First name
Doug
Even more freezing fog this morning (the weather lady calls it 'patchy freezing fog' but my wife and I call it 'fart freezing fog'). Makes the bushes look cool.

dark eyed junco on frosty bush.jpg

dark eyed junco on frosty dogwood.jpg

The big grey squirrel appears to be doing a little remodeling....

grey squirrel with grass.jpg