Today's Backyard Wildlife

DLJeffs

Reaction score
First name
Doug
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter
Can you imagine how people today would scream about that!?!
They've held a few roundups in the past (based on news reports) and I think they put all those captured up for adoption. But there's a faction who strongly oppose any human interruption. There have been proposals to neuter some. Problem is, there are few if any natural predators to control the herd's population and they're out growing their pasture lands. I imagine a wolf pack would take a colt or an older horse but there aren't any of those where the horses roam. Maybe a big puma would grab a colt. No grizzlies left.

Mike1950

Founding Member
Founding Member
Reaction score
First name
Mike
Can you imagine how people today would scream about that!?!

They've held a few roundups in the past (based on news reports) and I think they put all those captured up for adoption. But there's a faction who strongly oppose any human interruption. There have been proposals to neuter some. Problem is, there are few if any natural predators to control the herd's population and they're out growing their pasture lands. I imagine a wolf pack would take a colt or an older horse but there aren't any of those where the horses roam. Maybe a big puma would grab a colt. No grizzlies left.
It is all part of modern insainity. The news -insane. politics-insane. foreign policy-insane. etc.
Wild horses are an invasive species... any other invasive species - KILL them. Cows fart- get rid of them- 100 million buffalo- Nothing here...
Climate change is killing all the songbirds-We estimate that free-ranging domestic cats kill 1.3–4.0 billion birds and 6.3–22.3 billion mammals annually, and that un-owned cats cause the majority of this mortality.Jan 29, 2013 Cats are Not and I mean Not the problem...

I could continue but you must get the idea. any viable solutions to any of these problems will be poo pooed as very un PC especially if I come up with them... like rewards for cat ears... now there is a PC solution- More 12 year olds with pellet guns... :yipee:

Nubsnstubs

Where is it???
Reaction score
First name
Jerry
This doesn't really qualify for back yard wildlife and I sure as "stuff" would not want this guy in my yard, but is a Desert Wildlife instead. It's early in the year for this, but not unheard of. It is sucking up the rays, Man. I counted 11 good rattles, and then added 2 more for maybe losing a couple because the end isn't tapered like the younger ones. My estimate on it's length is well over 40" long. The coloring is also strange as the ones I've seen around Tucson are just darker than what this picture shows. This is it's true color. IMG_0007.jpeg IMG_0006.jpeg ................. Jerry (in Tucson)

JonathanH

Reaction score
First name
Jonathan
If this fella surprised my by being this close he would have a good chance of being headless by the time I even thought about taking his picture!

Nubsnstubs

Where is it???
Reaction score
First name
Jerry
If this fella surprised my by being this close he would have a good chance of being headless by the time I even thought about taking his picture!
It's at least 20 feet from me when pics were taken. I used the zoom. I did try to get within maybe 6 feet, but it did a little body shrinkage, so I figured it had enough stress and left it alone. It never rattled nor did it flick it's tongue. .............. Jerry (in Tucson)

DLJeffs

Reaction score
First name
Doug
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter
Yowsuh, that's a big one. It might be getting ready to shed, hence the dull coloration. I think I'd leave that one alone too.

JonathanH

Reaction score
First name
Jonathan
At 6 feet away the chances of it becoming headless would have risen much too rapidly to think about a camera. You might have a touch of crazy in you, Jerry!