Tony made me do it!

AgainstThe Grain

Reaction score
First name
George
- Not really- Tagged along with Wendell and Tony to the Wood Barter meet in North Texas last Saturday. I finally enrolled after lurking a few times. Retired telephone Engineer, been woodturning for over ten years. Love doing open forms (bowls & platters); exposing nature's beauty as well as decorating with color. Woodturners I follow include, Nick Agar, Mike Mahoney & Jimmy Clewes. I was lucky enough to to do workshops with those folks as well as David Ellsworth, Bob Rosand and several others.

Always welcome comments and critiques

George

woodman6415

Reaction score
First name
wendell
- Not really- Tagged along with Wendell and Tony to the Wood Barter meet in North Texas last Saturday. I finally enrolled after lurking a few times. Retired telephone Engineer, been woodturning for over ten years. Love doing open forms (bowls & platters); exposing nature's beauty as well as decorating with color. Woodturners I follow include, Nick Agar, Mike Mahoney & Jimmy Clewes. I was lucky enough to to do workshops with those folks as well as David Ellsworth, Bob Rosand and several others.

Always welcome comments and critiques

George
Welcome ..It's about time ... been harping on you for years ... glad you finally got here ... do not believe anything they say about me here !!

DKMD

Sawbones
Staff member
Administrator
Global Moderator
Forum Moderator
Reaction score
First name
David
Welcome! You’re obviously used to dealing with a rough crowd, so you ought to do well here.

Nature Man

Reaction score
First name
Chuck
Welcome from California! Great to have another Texan onboard with us! Would love to see pics of your work. Chuck

AgainstThe Grain

Reaction score
First name
George
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter
Mimosa, maple, bocote & walnut
25311244_517767931922667_1742444309753028302_o.jpg

Last edited:

AgainstThe Grain

Reaction score
First name
George
Ambrosia Maple, 3 pieces of Mesquite (on the right), Chinaberry, and a couple unknowns that are already sold through the gallery.
21200724_477314885967972_101423429787129069_o.jpg

Last edited:

AgainstThe Grain

Reaction score
First name
George
Started with very square stock; turn it very much like Natural Edge bowls (fingers on the safe side of the tool rest). Tip I learned from Jamie Donaldson is to put some CA on the corners (2 of them) which are prone to tear out will minimize the impact. Jamie has been teaching square turning for years at John C. Campbell. I also always use a screw chuck for stability and safety. I may need to add a spacer or two so I don't drill too deep.

Last edited:

Tony

Hardwood Enthusiast
Staff member
Global Moderator
Reaction score
First name
Tony
George, it's about dang time you joined us, good to see you!! Don't worry about anything @Don Ratcliff says, he's just a Stoopid Islander that doesn't know what he's talking about!!!!!!

Guys, George is a heck of a Turner and a great guy, Welcome him with open arms and harrass the crap of him like you would any of us. Tony

Tony

Hardwood Enthusiast
Staff member
Global Moderator
Reaction score
First name
Tony
By the way, when you get a chance you should post some of the pieces you did with the FBE you got from Kevin a couple years ago. Tony