Tool sharpening jigs/systems?

trc65

Reaction score
First name
Tim
I bought the Wolverine system when I started two years ago. All you need is the basic 4 piece system and the varigrind (original one). Lots of different (cheap) ways to measure angles. I use pieces of PVC to fit over the V- arm to repeat angles.

Shop around, I think I bought the Wolverine and varigrind for around $120. Amazon has the Wolverine and varigrind for $130 right now.

Last edited:

Graybeard

Reaction score
First name
David
Agree with Tim. There are lots of turners that demo and use a little gadget to "improve, or make their grind special". Lots of us (self included) think if we buy their stuff our stuff will look like their stuff. Not so.

TXMoon

Reaction score
First name
Kevin
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter
Agree with Tim. There are lots of turners that demo and use a little gadget to "improve, or make their grind special". Lots of us (self included) think if we buy their stuff our stuff will look like their stuff. Not so.
I don't need anything special, just sharpen tools consistently, and uniformly.

DKMD

Sawbones
Staff member
Administrator
Global Moderator
Forum Moderator
Reaction score
First name
David
Wolverine/Varigrind for me. I also bought CBN wheels, so I don’t have any need for the wheel dressing tools. Like Tim, I use something(a block of wood in my case)to set the arm length before sharpening... so no need for the Raptor devices shown in the CSUSA package.

William Tanner

Reaction score
First name
Bill
Doesn’t appear that I’m ever going to be good at free handing a grind. I went to the Wolverine system and CBN wheels and I do ok with it. Bought it years ago and would buy it again. Allows me to turn. Like they say, “if you can’t sharpen, you can’t turn.” If it weren’t for sharpening jigs I would probably be running or biking. Good grief.

Patrude

Reaction score
First name
Rich
Wolverine is my go to sharpening choice. It is very possible to get a fine perfectly sharpened edge freehand but it definitely takes time and can produce inconsistent results. The wolverine once set, will produce without variation. My sharpening station is in my dedicated turning area. Once it's set for a
Tool it only takes seconds to tune up an edge. Like anything today, there's accessories available which expand your sharpening opportunities but the basic set up is a great start.