Dismiss Notice
Woodbarter has upgraded to HTTPS. Please see click here for all the details.

Tool sharpening jigs/systems?

Discussion in 'General Woodturning Discussion' started by TXMoon, Jul 28, 2019.

1. TXMoon

TXMoon Member Full Member Thread Starter

First name:
    Kevin
  2. trc65

trc65 Member Full Member

First name:
    Tim
    I bought the Wolverine system when I started two years ago. All you need is the basic 4 piece system and the varigrind (original one). Lots of different (cheap) ways to measure angles. I use pieces of PVC to fit over the V- arm to repeat angles.

Shop around, I think I bought the Wolverine and varigrind for around $120. Amazon has the Wolverine and varigrind for $130 right now.

• Like Like x 2
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • Way Cool Way Cool x 1
    Last edited: Jul 28, 2019
  3. Graybeard

Graybeard Member Full Member

First name:
    David
    Agree with Tim. There are lots of turners that demo and use a little gadget to "improve, or make their grind special". Lots of us (self included) think if we buy their stuff our stuff will look like their stuff. Not so.

• Agree Agree x 1
  4. TXMoon

TXMoon Member Full Member Thread Starter

First name:
    Kevin
    I don't need anything special, just sharpen tools consistently, and uniformly.

• Agree Agree x 1
  5. DKMD

DKMD Sawbones Staff Member Administrator Global Moderator Full Member

First name:
    David
    Wolverine/Varigrind for me. I also bought CBN wheels, so I don’t have any need for the wheel dressing tools. Like Tim, I use something(a block of wood in my case)to set the arm length before sharpening... so no need for the Raptor devices shown in the CSUSA package.

• Thank You! Thank You! x 1
  6. William Tanner

William Tanner Member Full Member

First name:
    William
    Doesn’t appear that I’m ever going to be good at free handing a grind. I went to the Wolverine system and CBN wheels and I do ok with it. Bought it years ago and would buy it again. Allows me to turn. Like they say, “if you can’t sharpen, you can’t turn.” If it weren’t for sharpening jigs I would probably be running or biking. Good grief.

• Funny Funny x 1
  7. Patrude

Patrude Member Full Member

First name:
    Rich
    Wolverine is my go to sharpening choice. It is very possible to get a fine perfectly sharpened edge freehand but it definitely takes time and can produce inconsistent results. The wolverine once set, will produce without variation. My sharpening station is in my dedicated turning area. Once it's set for a
    Tool it only takes seconds to tune up an edge. Like anything today, there's accessories available which expand your sharpening opportunities but the basic set up is a great start.

Current Time: 2:20 AM