Trade with Manbuckwal

kazuma78

Reaction score
First name
Josh
I am making a trade with @manbuckwal, he sent me a flat rate envelope full of cutoffs of various sweet woods (some buckeye, YCB, HRB, amboyna, etc.) and is going to see if he has some of his olive burl that didnt dry so well (cracks) he could send me and maybe a couple successfully dried pieces (once they dry) in return for some earrings from buckeye. So I am posting some of the earrings I have made recently so you can let me know what shape you think your wife might like and also some pictures of some of the buckeye you sent me that I bookmatch cut here so you can pick the figure section you want the earrings cut out of. Ill probably make you 2 sets of earrings and throw in a rosewood carving too since you already sent me a box and will be trying to dig me up some successfully and unsuccessfully dried Olive burl at some time (My wife just LOVES that stuff!) Hope this sounds ok! The metal is all sterling silver that I wrap from sterling wire I bought . I make the ear wires too from the same sterling so they wont cause any kind of reaction. Let me know what you think!

Earrings2.jpg Earrings.jpg
20150516_002517.jpg
20150517_075242.jpg

Last edited:

kazuma78

Reaction score
First name
Josh
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter
The unfinished ones are only sanded to 180 so they dont look that great right now but they will look really nice once I sand them up through 1000 and then buff them with a felt wheel and mineral spirits/beewax

manbuckwal

Reaction score
First name
Tom
Wow ! You have been busy lol . My wife likes blue, so I think a set with the the lighter colored buckeye and blue resin would be great in this shape

image.jpg

And this shape in a darker wood wouod be great . Thanks !

image.jpg

Tony

Hardwood Enthusiast
Staff member
Global Moderator
Reaction score
First name
Tony
Nice work Josh! Those are pretty, I'm sure they're a big hit with the ladies! Tony

kazuma78

Reaction score
First name
Josh
Wow ! You have been busy lol . My wife likes blue, so I think a set with the the lighter colored buckeye and blue resin would be great in this shape

View attachment 78604

And this shape in a darker wood wouod be great . Thanks !

View attachment 78605
Not a problem! I was thinking the buckeye with resin would look pretty sweet too. I havent done any with resin before so it might be a shot in the dark, but im hopeful! The diamond with dark wood is very pretty. I did a set out of end grain kingwood and they turned out fantastic. I'll make your pair out of HRB if thats cool with you.

kazuma78

Reaction score
First name
Josh
Nice work Josh! Those are pretty, I'm sure they're a big hit with the ladies! Tony
Thanks Tony! I have a decent amount of time on my hands at night sometimes so I will listed to a good history podcast or audiobook and work on these. They are all pretty much shaped and sanded by hand. They have a really crappy scroll saw here so I cut out a really rough shape and then hand and dremel sand the curves and shape in better. Then the rest is all hand sanding. I havent sold any yet but have given a couple pairs away as gifts and people always love them. I am making a bunch to sell at a bazaar hopefully later this year and hope to sell some pens and other stuff too like some of the signs I have made. My wife also wants to quilt some place mats and table runners to sell also (Shes an amazing quilter). I think it will be fun!

manbuckwal

Reaction score
First name
Tom
Not a problem! I was thinking the buckeye with resin would look pretty sweet too. I havent done any with resin before so it might be a shot in the dark, but im hopeful! The diamond with dark wood is very pretty. I did a set out of end grain kingwood and they turned out fantastic. I'll make your pair out of HRB if thats cool with you.

Sounds great Josh ! Thanks