TransTint

Adam Fausch

Reaction score
First name
Adam
I mixed some Transtint with some denatured alcohol that was supposed to prevent grain lift. But I am still getting a lot of grain lift. Am I doing something wrong?

DKMD

Sawbones
Staff member
Administrator
Global Moderator
Forum Moderator
Reaction score
First name
David
You might try raising the grain before the dye... DNA will raise the grain, and I keep a spray bottle near the lathe for that reason. Water works also, but the DNA dries faster.

Adam Fausch

Reaction score
First name
Adam
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter
I guess I am trying to prevent the grain raising. It seems to stay raised. And then is rough after. I have tried to sand it down to 220 and after it seems like it dries raised a little.

Adam Fausch

Reaction score
First name
Adam
I am using the red dye and it is leaving the grain raised after applying. Is there a way to apply Transtint with out raising the grain like a traditional stain?

image.jpg

Tony

Hardwood Enthusiast
Staff member
Global Moderator
Reaction score
First name
Tony
I have never worked with Transtint, I assume it's water based. On a scrap piece, do what you normally do, sand with the last grit you used but only enough to knock the grain down. A lot of times, people will sand too much on this last step and it renders it useless. Then re-stain the piece. Tony

DKMD

Sawbones
Staff member
Administrator
Global Moderator
Forum Moderator
Reaction score
First name
David
I don't know of any way to keep the grain from raising, but if you'll pre-raise it with DNA then lightly sand with your last grit or one finer, I think you'll have better luck. You may still need to sand lightly after the dye, but it shouldn't take much.

Also, I think going to a higher final grit helps with some wood.

HomeBody

Reaction score
First name
Gary
I'm not sure about your tinting but removing the raised grain is easy. After you raise the grain, sand with a new piece of 320. Make sure you have a new piece. I sand once after raising it but some do it 2 or 3 times. Gary

Adam Fausch

Reaction score
First name
Adam
Thanks, I noticed after switching to a rag and then basically rubbing it in vs using a brush helps some. I will also try some fine sandpaper as well.

Pushing yourself out of your comfort zone can be frustrating, but sometimes when done is worth it.

Jerry B

shop dawg
Reaction score
First name
Jerry
anytime you apply any kind of liquid to wood, it will raise the grain,
the benefit of using DNA or Lacquer Thinners are that they evaporate and dry much more quickly
After staining (with TransTint & DNA) I use a scotchbrite pad instead of sandpaper,
it gives the same end result, without removing much of the top coat that I just applied,
and reduces the chances of having to re-stain in case I used too much pressure

barry richardson

Staff member
Global Moderator
Reaction score
First name
Barry
I don't have a problem with alcohol based dyes raising the grain, but maybe cause it's so hot and dry here, it doesn't have a chance. But I mostly use Behlins', which they call NGR (non-grain raising) If you want a fool proof way to color your wood any color of the rainbow, use artist oils (not acrylics) get a tube of it from Michaels or any art store and, experiment, works like a champ. Better yet is if you know someone who is a painter, they usually have old and partial tubes they will give you... The only downside is it takes a couple of days to dry before you can final finish it...