TreeAmigo good to meet y’all!

TreeAmigos

Reaction score
First name
Blaké
My name is Blake. I am a geologist that fell in love with forestry and woodworking in 2014 when my job was threaten by the rapid fall in oil prices. I was the youngest employee within the company and felt expendable. Long story short I still have the very same job and work long weeks, but having discovered my love for all things wood I spend most of my free time cutting, sawing, sanding, and planing.

I cut and sell firewood as for a bit of extra income. Kansas law made collection of sales tax mandatory so in 2018 I started an LLC, under which I claims my oil royalties/working interest as well as my firewood sales (dismal at this point).

I have more projects in mind than I do hours in life, and more sawmill trimmings (some call waste) than I know what to do with. Hopefully, they find a new home and become someone else's project. Thanks for reading!

-Blake
Tree Amigo

E7D8DB19-2524-4CFF-9E87-D3E236DA915D.jpeg

571F88CD-6A2D-4649-9879-9FC7804F6F82.jpeg

Last edited:

Ray D

Reaction score
First name
Ray
Welcome from Florida Blake. I’ll be up in your neck of the woods on a turkey hunt next month.
Ray

TreeAmigos

Reaction score
First name
Blaké
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter
Thank you! I look forward to being a part of this community.

Sorry about the typos, I do not have a home computer. I wouldn’t ever use it anyways; as long as there’s a chainsaw or lumber around.

I will be hunting Turkey before long as well. I hunt all over south central/eastern KS. Gotta love the public lands KS has to offer. No BLM, but plenty of game on state lands.

Tony

Hardwood Enthusiast
Staff member
Global Moderator
Reaction score
First name
Tony
Blake, Welcome from South Texas! Nice looking wood you have there, I'm betting you can find guys here willing to take some off your hands. What do you build? Tony

FranklinWorkshops

Reaction score
First name
Larry
Welcome Blake. I have a lot of friends in Wichita who work for Koch Industries. I know they were in the oil business also. Glad to have you join us.

ripjack13

ɹǝʇɹɐqpooʍ
Staff member
Administrator
Global Moderator
Reaction score
First name
Marc
Howdy Blaké, welcome to the club....

woodtickgreg

scroll, flat, spin
Staff member
Administrator
Global Moderator
Founding Member
Forum Moderator
Reaction score
First name
Greg
WELCOME! From Michigan :welcome2:
Nice looking stuff in that last pic.

TreeAmigos

Reaction score
First name
Blaké
Thanks for the warm welcome everyone! I will have to make a few post with different species I have.

When I first got into the firewood hustle, spring 2016, I met a fella who did live edge slab stuff, so I offered him a huge ash trunk in exchange for a few slabs to see what I could make of it.

That table is still sitting in my garage, upside down in saw horses. I’m sure you all have a your own list of unfinished projects, goes with the territory I feel.

The wood kept coming fast and furious. All the while, my Ma got cancer news and I really didn’t take care of my home or projects for some time.

Thus far I have made a few things, but OG project is incomplete.

-spun simple table legs out of cedar
-made what I call “bacon boards” (halved, draw knived, angle ground/sanded to a “D” shape cross section— looks like a piece of cooked bacon; used as table legs, bed posts, whatever).
-mulberry live edge coffee table for my Ma
-maul handle
-knife/tool blanks for a friend
-too/bottom/first cut floating shelves
-spalted maple live edge table for my buddy’s new house (table base-repurposed school desk, waiting paintings in garage- which will be the topic of my next thread.)

I go through phones like an orphanage does milk. I don’t have many on the current one. Most of my wood pictures and what not are on my work computer, will get some for posting when I can.

87E2C638-2D9C-40E4-8CF5-5180278B9494.jpeg

3F7DAE84-D1A3-465B-8B36-13001FED9ED6.jpeg

D641E523-248B-46D2-BDE6-FBD4821A5557.jpeg

3F6CBAD8-64E1-4C81-B515-8E04193035AD.jpeg

TreeAmigos

Reaction score
First name
Blaké
Can I mention other threads within a thread?

I posted my second thread; need advice on how finish the table bases for the spalted maple table in picture above. Tags are metal, table, sanding, help!

Ray D

Reaction score
First name
Ray

I posted my second thread; need advice on how finish the table bases for the spalted maple table in picture above. Tags are metal, table, sanding, help!
I see it done all the time but I’ll let a moderator chime in. Lol

Tony

Hardwood Enthusiast
Staff member
Global Moderator
Reaction score
First name
Tony

It's not a problem at all to mention it, but people will see it either way. Tony

Nature Man

Reaction score
First name
Chuck
Welcome from California! You appear to be the perfect person to join the forum from your introduction! Jump right into the discussions and ask tons of questions -- there are some true experts on this forum to help you out! Chuck

Patrude

Reaction score
First name
Rich
Welcome from southeastern Massachusetts. Sounds like your right where you need to be.

DKMD

Sawbones
Staff member
Administrator
Global Moderator
Forum Moderator
Reaction score
First name
David
Welcome from a couple hours south!

Gdurfey

Reaction score
First name
Garry
Welcome from just west of you. Travel through Wichita heading to family in northwest Arkansas.

Nathan W

Reaction score
First name
Nathan
Hello, Blake!

I was hoping to find you on here soon. We need to get together when the weather warms a bit to discuss that new bench top. Enjoy WoodBarter!

Nate