phinds

Staff member
Global Moderator
Founding Member
Forum Moderator
Reaction score
First name
Paul
For years I had a lot of occasions where I wanted to tape down the flaps of a box on the inside or to put a sheet of cardboard on the bottom of a box to cover the uneven surface where the bottom flaps meet (or don't quite meet). So ... need to put tape down so that it is flat on the bottom of the box, goes all the way into the edge then flat up the side. This generally involves (1) getting tape that sticks out noticeably at the edge, (2) several serious cusswords, and (3) re-taping and generally rinse and repeat.

The other day I had a bright idea and grabbed a piece of scrap plywood and quickly made this little doodad on the bandsaw and belt sander. Put the tape flat on the bottom of the box, away from the side, then holding this at an angle, use it to press the tape along the bottom and into the corner with the angled, but flat, edge and then straight up the side with the sharp edge. It's shown here upside down. Works like a champ. I put some English oil on it for minor protection from skin oil.

Now I'll need something else to bring out the cuss words (that's in addition to my cussing at Mark Peet because he refuses to install SKYPE on his computer).

1629944931548.png
1629944938342.png

Last edited:

phinds

Staff member
Global Moderator
Founding Member
Forum Moderator
Reaction score
First name
Paul
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter
I just re-read my description and it reminded me of a similar one that for some reason I had difficulty understanding, until I "got" it, so here's my highly professional artistic rendition of the concept.
1629947264234.png

bhatleberg

Reaction score
First name
Brian
My wife and I once had a guy ask us to make a custom "tool" for scraping out the bottom of his hair pomade jar. Charged him $60, spent 10m sanding, and basically mailed him a pink ivory popsicle stick. He was very happy.

Just saying, maybe there's a niche for this taping thing...