Dismiss Notice
Woodbarter has upgraded to HTTPS. Please see click here for all the details.

Tung Oil - American Made

Discussion in 'Internet Specials, Discounts, & Awesome Deals' started by rocky1, Aug 28, 2017.

1. rocky1

rocky1 Creator of Shavings and Sawdust! Full Member Thread Starter

First name:
    Rocky
    Recent article in the Florida Agriculture magazine was brought to my attention; it seems there is a growing Tung Oil industry here in Florida, Tallahassee area. And, it offered website in the article! Took a quick peek at it this morning and they offer a variety of products, including a Tung Oil/Beeswax blend. Haven't tried it, but will be placing an order to see what it's like. Should anyone else be interested they have a website up, but the order form is acting up at time of this post, will update when they get it fixed, but I'm going to go ahead and post the info, so I don't forget!!

http://www.gulfcoasttungoil.com/

https://www.facebook.com/gulfcoasttungoil2010/

• Way Cool Way Cool x 2
    • Like Like x 1
  2. Tony

Tony Hardwood Enthusiast Staff Member Global Moderator Full Member

First name:
    Tony
    I'm not real familiar with tung oil Rock, what would you use it for? Tony

3. rocky1

First name:
    Rocky
    It's used as a wood finish; commonly used in the paint industry according to the article. I assume they use it in place of linseed oil. Not sure what the working properties are when used as a finish, but I do know it is commercially available, although it typically originates in Asia.

• Thank You! Thank You! x 1
  4. rocky1

First name:
    Rocky
  5. rocky1

First name:
    Rocky
    Last edited: Aug 28, 2017
  6. Mike1950

Mike1950 Founding Member Founding Member Full Member

First name:
    Mike
    Be careful buying tung oil- a lot of products sold as Tung oil have not even seen a picture of tung oil... Look at ingredients list before buying.

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Informative Informative x 1
  7. rocky1

First name:
    Rocky
    Florida Agriculture Magazine is published by Florida Farm Bureau Insurance Mike, they're promoting the Customer's niche market and growing industry. The article is pretty interesting, goes in depth into the variety of trees, chosen for tolerance of local climates. History of Tung Oil production here stateside is also addressed therein. Smaller operation, but they are a growing local industry. Will be talking to them, have 20 acres I need top plant in something, might be a worthwhile business venture. Especially if the bees will work them.

• Like Like x 2
  8. Mike1950

Mike1950 Founding Member Founding Member Full Member

First name:
    Mike
    Not implying they are not legit. Just read a big finishing article. Finishes and companies that make them seem to have a very difficult time with the truth. I will track down the article. It was VERY informative.

• Like Like x 2
    • Agree Agree x 1
  9. SENC

SENC ... Full Member

First name:
    Henry
    Tung and linseed oil are the 2 "true" drying oils (versus oils like mineral oil that never truly dry). Tung has a longer drying time, but is harder when cured and doesnt yellow as much as linseed. Unlike other plant based oils, tung doesnt go rancid. It is non-toxic. Takes patience and a bit of effort, but in my opinion leaves a beautiful, rich non-glossy finish like no other oil. Once cured can be buffed to a semi-gloss, but needs a wax topcoat if glossy is the goal.

Mike is right - there are lots of things out there labeled tung oil that don't contain tung oil. Look for pure tung oil. I buy mune from real milk paint company, but will check out this florida producer the next time I order some.

• Like Like x 1
    • Informative Informative x 1
  10. barry richardson

barry richardson Moderator Staff Member Global Moderator Full Member

First name:
    Barry
    If I'm not mistaken, Waterlox is a tung oil based finish. Frombys Tumg oil finish contains none at all.

• Agree Agree x 1
  11. DKMD

DKMD Sawbones Staff Member Administrator Global Moderator Full Member

First name:
    David
    So what's your method for applying it? Thinned with something? Multiple thin coats? Time between coats? Any situations where you wouldn't use tung oil? When's the last time you actually turned anything?:taunt:

• Funny Funny x 2
  12. rocky1

First name:
    Rocky
  13. rocky1

First name:
    Rocky

• Like Like x 1
  14. rocky1

First name:
    Rocky
    • Like Like x 2
    • Great Post Great Post x 1
  15. ripjack13

ripjack13 ɹǝʇɹɐqpooʍ Staff Member Global Moderator Forum Moderator Full Member

First name:
    Marc
    I have small can of tung oil in my cabinet I have never used. I should try it on something....

16. rocky1

First name:
    Rocky
    But is it pure Tung Oil or the other stuff Mike mentioned.

17. SENC

SENC ... Full Member

First name:
    Henry
    Too long!!! Finally bought a house, but going to have to build a shop and we have some work to do on the house so it will be a while, yet.

I think I've posted details on my process before, but the nutshell version is mutliple coats over a period of days, then about 20-30 days for a full cure. However you apply (wipe, brush, dip), you do so liberally, let drip, then wipe off the excess just before it gets tacky (30 minutes or so depending on temp and humidity). Failure to wipe off excess can lead to exceptionally long dry times. Also depending on temp and humidity, it is usually dry enough for a second coat in 18-24 hours. Many say you need to sand between coats, but since oils penetrate rather than sit on the surface I'm not sure it is necessary if not fully cured. I sometimes wetsand lightly with tung oil between coats, but I generally try to rub subsequent coats in (tung oil seems to love a little heat). Using this method, you can tell when a piece has "enough". The first few coats, there will likely be little excess to wipe off as the wood soaks it in. Subsequent coats will leave more and more excess. After 4-10 coats the piece will seem not to absorb any - rub in another coat or two and set it aside and let it cure.

I generally thin the first few coats to aid penetration. I preferred citrus solvents to keep everything non-toxic, though it probably doesnt matter since other thinners flash off. I used to keep 4 jars fresh and handy - 25/75, 50/50, 75/25, and 100% tung and applied them in order.

• Informative Informative x 2
    • Like Like x 1
  18. woodtickgreg

woodtickgreg scroll, flat, spin Staff Member Global Moderator Forum Moderator Founding Member Full Member

First name:
    Greg
    I have used pure tung oil on a few projects, tables mostly. The first coat or two that I apply is straight tung oil, allowed to sit for awhile then the excess is wiped off. Then I like to make this blend equal parts of each, pure real tung oil, boiled linseed oil, mineral spirits, and a good quality oil based satin polyurethane. Wipe on wipe of, many many coats until you achieve the look you are after. You will not find a richer, warmer looking finish, not glossy. I usually rub it out with 0000 Liberon brand steel wool for a soft satin finish. The oils penetrate the wood and really seal it, the oils harden and cure from within, the little bit of satin polyurethane that I blend with it just gives a little more protection to the finish. This finish takes more time to apply that building the project itself, keep it warm, heat really helps it to cure. This is by far my favorite finish, looks excellent on walnut! But so labor intensive to apply.
    2 big words of caution SPONTANEOUS COMBUSTION !!!! The likely hood that the oil soaked rags will ignite all on their own is very very high with this finish.
    Do not wad up rags and throw them in the trash!!! Lay them flat to dry, I like to drape them over a coat hanger to dry a bit and then they go in a fire rated rag can before I dispose of them. Or better yet submerge them in a can of water. Many homes and shops have been burned down because of oil soaked rags.

• Great Post Great Post x 1
  19. ripjack13

ripjack13 ɹǝʇɹɐqpooʍ Staff Member Global Moderator Forum Moderator Full Member

First name:
    Marc
    Pure...old old stuff....

• Like Like x 1
Current Time: 1:07 AM