Tupelo for carving

TheWoodWizard

Reaction score
First name
Jarred
Almost twenty years ago, long before I ever decided to try my hand at woodworking, I helped my stepdad load up some Tupelo wood from Cheniere Lake a friend of his gave to him. He always referred to this wood as “Tuplegum”. I don’t know EXACTLY what kind of Tupelo it is(black Tupelo, water tupelo, etc), but
he always told me the portion of the tree that was underwater during it’s lifespan is some of the best wood in the world for carving. This has been in the attic for almost 20 years, so it is dry to say the least. Sold the house last week and I just pulled all of it down. Can’t bring it with me so I would like to sell and/or trade what I can. I can say without a doubt this stuff is a DREAM to carve. It’s like butter. A 4x6x12 block of “Tupelo” is nearly $40 on Woodcraft. I’m aware they’re more pricey on wood. It’s just a reference point I suppose. These are pics of specific pieces but as you can see I have a ton of it. I can bust it down to fit in flat rate boxes or however you want to do it. Let’s figure out a trade or a sale, and I will make a specific post for said sale or trade. Let me know if interested.

D6D27925-69C5-42B1-9508-1F3F70BC8ABB.jpeg

13E86940-A7C3-4D3B-8F40-7893DE68ECF1.jpeg

8D977F44-8378-4E65-98A5-82D5AAB62CB3.jpeg

92E36E56-AD7D-4569-A11E-E16CA070F150.jpeg

C4114C76-C8EC-4032-9BFD-F8E9E2FF9862.jpeg

7CDDEA72-E88E-480C-86EA-5A62FE0C1B4A.jpeg

AC529713-086F-4EB9-9DE7-795B9589226E.jpeg

90DF64E0-9FB9-4B76-8BEC-2770B1D6FA66.jpeg

D7F1C9BC-E179-42C1-81C9-D40FBD97B50B.jpeg

556E7956-C31F-49A1-A205-3D02CF6DDCE8.jpeg

FranklinWorkshops

Reaction score
First name
Larry
I've never worked with tupelo but it looks interesting. Suggest you create a listing for it with the prices you want in the "Wood for Sale" forum. I'm sure you will get some interest. Can you plane a piece of it so we can see the grain and true color? The rough surface from the mill doesn't do the wood justice, I'm guessing.

Last edited:

Barb

Reaction score
First name
Barbara
After you figure out what you'd like for it, I'd be interested in a chunk that would fit a medium flat rate box.

TheWoodWizard

Reaction score
First name
Jarred
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter
I don’t have access to a shop right now(in the process of moving), but let me ask the neighbor today if he will plane some down for me. I’ll try and post it tonight or in the morning.

TheWoodWizard

Reaction score
First name
Jarred
So I jumped the gun on offering these considering I don’t have access to a shop while moving. But tomorrow or the next I’m going to buy a hand planer and a small bandsaw just to mill these for you guys. I suppose I thought I’d just post em and ship em as needed. But it’s a learning experience! I stumbled across some GORGEOUS spalted sycamore and Bradford pear I’ll be mulling into turning blanks that I will need this experience for! Thanks for your patience and interest everyone!

Barb

Reaction score
First name
Barbara
So I jumped the gun on offering these considering I don’t have access to a shop while moving. But tomorrow or the next I’m going to buy a hand planer and a small bandsaw just to mill these for you guys. I suppose I thought I’d just post em and ship em as needed. But it’s a learning experience! I stumbled across some GORGEOUS spalted sycamore and Bradford pear I’ll be mulling into turning blanks that I will need this experience for! Thanks for your patience and interest everyone!
There's no rush at all for me. When you get things going is soon enough. And I am definitely interested in a medium flat rate box of spalted sycamore as well whenever that happens. :) I've never turned turned Bradford pear so I'm not familiar with it but the pictures I've seen look very nice.

Last edited:

Barb

Reaction score
First name
Barbara
That sycamore is amazing! What are the dimensions of both pieces?

TheWoodWizard

Reaction score
First name
Jarred
The pictures don’t even begin to do these justice. The sycamore is 8x4x3. It’s a cross cut half round I really just cut to check the spalting progress. It has the pith in it, and it isn’t sealed. I sealed the log it came from, along with all of it’s brothers and sisters, after I cut that piece off. I was thinking of cutting a couple bottle stopper blanks from it.

The 1st BP piece is kind of a wedge shape but one could probably turn a 2.5” round from it that is roughly 7” long.
The 2nd BP piece is 9x11x4.5
Almost all of the BP has that amazing curl in it. Some of it has the deepest, richest orange hues I have ever seen in BP. Like this crotch piece...this one is about 18” in diameter at it’s smallest point and about 14” thick
3A92A7D5-8EE9-43B1-8E80-703357F6ADCB.jpeg

Barb

Reaction score
First name
Barbara
Ok you’ve seriously got me hooked now. What would the price be for a bowl blank of sycamore and BP that will fit a medium flat rate box for each piece?

Barb

Reaction score
First name
Barbara
I’m loving that deep red color. I’d even take a chunk of BP that would fit a large flat rate box if you can spare it.