Turning chisel set

T. Ben

Reaction score
First name
Troy
I’m looking to buy a moderately priced set of turning tools,I’m looking at a set of Benjamin’s best. What do you guys think of these. Keep in mind this will be my first set of standard tools,I use carbides now. My apologies everyone,yes i mean turning tools

Last edited:

Nature Man

Reaction score
First name
Chuck
Take a look at Narex, also. I have a set and I am totally happy with them. Chuck

Tom Smart

Reaction score
First name
Tom
Assume you are talking about lathe tools.

My recommendation would be to buy individual tools as you need them rather than in a set. Likely there will be tools you will never use in a set. I’ve found Sorby tools acceptable. Craft Supply has several versions of Henry Taylor tools. I was able to get some of their Kryo version tools a few months ago when they were on sale at 35% off. They seem to hold an edge. At the higher end of the scale are Thompson and OneWay. One way has several gouges that are double ended for not much more money, almost a twofer.

T. Ben

Reaction score
First name
Troy
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter
For the price I like Hurricane. Do you have the ability to sharpen them?
Yes i do,well i have the tools to sharpen them the ability well that has yet to be seen.

T. Ben

Reaction score
First name
Troy
Assume you are talking about lathe tools.

My recommendation would be to buy individual tools as you need them rather than in a set. Likely there will be tools you will never use in a set. I’ve found Sorby tools acceptable. Craft Supply has several versions of Henry Taylor tools. I was able to get some of their Kryo version tools a few months ago when they were on sale at 35% off. They seem to hold an edge. At the higher end of the scale are Thompson and OneWay. One way has several gouges that are double ended for not much more money, almost a twofer.
My apologies,yes lathe tools. Thanks i will look into buying individual tools also.

trc65

Reaction score
First name
Tim
Troy, I started with a set of BB and am still using them. I've also purchased some additional individual BB tools. They are good tools that are cheap to purchase.

One thing that goes along with learning to use gouges is learning to sharpen them. Lots of different options in sharpening, and you won't worry too much grinding away on a $15 gouge to experiment. I've still got lots of life left in my BB set with two + years of use and grind experimentation.

Although I usually recommend against buying sets, I found I use all the tools in the BB set. If you only want to use the tools to turn bowls, or only for spindle work, then you can do better only buying what you need. However, buying the set will let you play with each tool and see how you like them. Individual tools can also be reground for different uses.

I am just now starting to invest in premium tools.

I'd also recommend that someone starting with HSS spend their money on a good grinding setup (with a CBN wheel if you can afford it) and save a little money on gouges until you know what you really want.

T. Ben

Reaction score
First name
Troy
Troy, I started with a set of BB and am still using them. I've also purchased some additional individual BB tools. They are good tools that are cheap to purchase.

One thing that goes along with learning to use gouges is learning to sharpen them. Lots of different options in sharpening, and you won't worry too much grinding away on a $15 gouge to experiment. I've still got lots of life left in my BB set with two + years of use and grind experimentation.

Although I usually recommend against buying sets, I found I use all the tools in the BB set. If you only want to use the tools to turn bowls, or only for spindle work, then you can do better only buying what you need. However, buying the set will let you play with each tool and see how you like them. Individual tools can also be reground for different uses.

I am just now starting to invest in premium tools.

I'd also recommend that someone starting with HSS spend their money on a good grinding setup (with a CBN wheel if you can afford it) and save a little money on gouges until you know what you really want.
Thanks tim,i have a tormek sharpener,and just picked up a couple jigs for it. I am leaning towards one of the 6 tool sets from penn state.

Tony

Hardwood Enthusiast
Staff member
Global Moderator
Reaction score
First name
Tony
Troy, Tim said basically what I was going to. Benjamin's Best are a good starter set that will get you learning how to sharpen and what you like as far as grinds, etc. I believe once you get farther down the road you will upgrade but by then you'll know how to sharpen and what tools you want to get individually instead of blindly getting a set.

trc65

Reaction score
First name
Tim
Thanks tim,i have a tormek sharpener,and just picked up a couple jigs for it. I am leaning towards one of the 6 tool sets from penn state.

I bought the one that is shown without the box and is $10 more than the other. It has a flat skew chisel and someone told me a flat is easier to use than an oval. Don't know, still haven't tried an oval skew....

T. Ben

Reaction score
First name
Troy
Well guys this is what I ended up going with,I may not use some on a regular basis but I’ll definitely learn how to use them.

7E7800CF-8331-4A2F-863A-45BBB6ACE2CC.jpeg

Last edited:

Tony

Hardwood Enthusiast
Staff member
Global Moderator
Reaction score
First name
Tony
Even if you don't use them you can practice sharpening on them.