Turning with a Pro

Lou Currier

Reaction score
First name
Lou
Got a visit from @Spinartist today. We had a great time turning, BSing, and swapping wood (more like taking but who am I to argue?). Learned a lot especially about tool use and grinds...and I think Lee got tired of saying “slow down Lou!” :scare3:

We turned a small Camphor box with a burl inlay on the lid. I still have to finish the bottom before I post pictures of the box but my back is killing me so you will have to wait.

4CDAFB67-F98A-4921-82B1-37F5D4570801.jpeg

6F455B75-3E24-4F01-A902-B6C9829551E1.jpeg

97BF357A-75BC-4264-9E56-1D5609D89FED.jpeg

E6929B55-FCEA-4A24-85B2-6C11F4304BD6.jpeg

BTW...the hat Lee is wearing he made!

rocky1

Creator of Shavings and Sawdust!
Reaction score
First name
Rocky
Good to see up and in the shop bud! Private lessons from Lee and wood to boot, twas a good day!

Last edited:

Smitty

Reaction score
First name
dan
Thanks for sharing. Glad you had fun, and I hope your back gets better soon.

Spinartist

Reaction score
First name
Lee
Lou,
Great to meet your family & see your shop!!
Happy to share my woodturning knowledge & bounty of freshly scored wood too!!

Before you cut the base off, ... finish hollowing the inside, fine tune how the lid fits, & do both -"SLOWLY"!!

Just get the tool in the right place & the wood cuts itself on the tool!!!

rocky1

Creator of Shavings and Sawdust!
Reaction score
First name
Rocky
Not likely but thanks. Something I’m going to have to learn to live with. Getting :old: sucks!

Keep a positive attitude and don't give up on it yet Lou. Everybody I've ever talked to that's gone through the back surgery routine, said it takes more than one or two trips across the table to get it right. Have a friend in ND that has had 5. Says he's good as new now, feels better than he has for the last 15 years; first 2 or 3 surgeries, he was not impressed. Came out with about as much pain as he went in with. He's had to slow down a little, but he's old enough he probably should have anyhow. Still plenty active, and more so now than he has been for years.

@Lou Currier please tell me you have more wood than that. Heck, I've got that much in the back seat of my truck!

For some odd reason that really wouldn't surprise me in the least! Probably all in Flat Rate Boxes too!! :sarcastic:

DKMD

Sawbones
Staff member
Administrator
Global Moderator
Forum Moderator
Reaction score
First name
David
Very cool! Looks like a good time!

Lou Currier

Reaction score
First name
Lou
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter
Keep a positive attitude and don't give up on it yet Lou. Everybody I've ever talked to that's gone through the back surgery routine, said it takes more than one or two trips across the table to get it right. Have a friend in ND that has had 5. Says he's good as new now, feels better than he has for the last 15 years; first 2 or 3 surgeries, he was not impressed. Came out with about as much pain as he went in with. He's had to slow down a little, but he's old enough he probably should have anyhow. Still plenty active, and more so now than he has been for years.

For some odd reason that really wouldn't surprise me in the least! Probably all in Flat Rate Boxes too!! :sarcastic:

I’ve had 4 now :blush: