Two brothers

VotTak

Reaction score
First name
Stepan
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter
You know this wood is not very popular here(do not know why) so when I saw small burl for sale about a year ago I took it, stabilized it and cast it. Made 3 pair of scales... and I could never make a blade which would make it as a nice knife... Finally I decided to make 2 similar blades without removing carbonized surface. I just added more irregularities to that surface and went for hollow grind. To me hollow grind always pop up and catch the eye.
Not much of a story... Now I'm looking for burl like that and cannot find it...

And no, I do not forge... Stock removal.

jasonb

Sawdust = man glitter
Reaction score
First name
Jason
You know this wood is not very popular here(do not know why) so when I saw small burl for sale about a year ago I took it, stabilized it and cast it. Made 3 pair of scales... and I could never make a blade which would make it as a nice knife... Finally I decided to make 2 similar blades without removing carbonized surface. I just added more irregularities to that surface and went for hollow grind. To me hollow grind always pop up and catch the eye.

Do you use a belt grinder or.... for the stock removal? Been wanting to give it a try.

gman2431

Reaction score
First name
cody

Hop hornbeam burl?

gman2431

Reaction score
First name
cody
I have a smaller piece and a bigger piece in you ever want more. I cant remember for the life of me where I got it tho...

20201129_154649.jpg

20201129_154626.jpg

Mr. Peet

Reaction score
First name
Mark
My in-laws have a neighbor that has a few hundred pounds of Hop-hornbeam burl laying around his house for "decoration". He just can't seem to part with any, but did say he'll get me a piece for the collection. Been 2 years, maybe this year.

Great looking knife.